Arsenal Thread

TMM

I know what a Manc is but whats a Yiddo lol.

In the nineteenth century (1800's) the term "Yid" was used a an insult to describe Jews who lived in London during a time when they were persecuted.

Tottenham Hotspur have always, and still do, manage to have a high contingency of Jewish fans, and with them being a London based side, the term Yid has stuck.

More recently, the term has been extended to "Yiddo" but still relates back to the nineteenth century insult for Jewish men and women.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celta Vigo keeper Manuel Almunia has confirmed he expects to join Arsenal.

The Celta shot-stopper spent last season on loan at Albacete and impressed Gunners boss Arsene Wenger with his performances.

As the 24-year-old is out of contract next year, his club are willing to cash in on his talents, particularly as he has yet to play a senior game for them after a number of loan moves away from Vigo.

It is believed that an agreement has been reached between the two clubs, for a fee in the region of €4 million, and Almunia needs only to pass a medical and tie up a few details before clinching a move to the English champions.

"Because a team like Arsenal have been able to trust in me, it gives me a sense of personal pride," he told Marca.

"I knew that there was some contact between the two clubs but I really did not expect this because I was convinced I would be playing in Segunda Liga with Celta next season."

Wenger has been looking for a new keeper to provide cover for Jens Lehmann.

Parma's Sebastien Frey was a top target but the French coach has decided to swoop for Almunia in an attempt to pull off another transfer coup.

The former Monaco boss is making a habit of looking in Spain for new blood after recent raids for Cesc Fabregas and Jose Antonio Reyes.

source: skysports.com

I would have prefered Frey, but meh. This guy sounds good. Not sure if he will be first choice though, I was actually beginning to want Lehmann first choice next season, guess we will see.

Supposedly we were suppose to be able to get Frey very cheaply at some stage.

And just a little fact, SkySports News said we're on of the richest clubs in England, so, no more of those financial problems :D

When did they say that?

Well I know one thing, we are no-where NEAR as rich as Utd and Chelsea. But I don't care becasue money does not equal success

Actually, now that Leeds have been relegated, Chelsea are the poorest club in the Premiership. As a business they lose more money than any other club in the Premier League (and probably the country). Id you think about their accounts for the last year, it's a horrible state of affairs. They spent over 120million pounds on players last summer, and wouldn't have come close to making that up, then there is a HUGE wage bill at the club to think of, that again they probably don't make up on a weekly basis.

The only reason they stay afloat is because the owner keeps pumping more and more money into the club, but as a business they are completely unsound, and if Abramovic ever left, or died or ehatever, Chelsea would probably face bankrupcy within weeks.

David Dein (I think it was him at least) was spot on in my opinion when he said that Abramovich isn't going to be around for a long time. He's a man who's just looking for something to do with his money, once Chelsea flops (or even if it does work out) he's going to get bored sooner or later and look for something new.

Whereas Arsenal have owners and directors who love football and have been with Arsenal through the good and bad. Arsenal will be going as they are for a long time, Chelsea only for as long as Roman has interest. If/when he leaves they could be in serious trouble.

You can have all the millions in the world, but if you can't spend it well you're going nowhere.

The day he left, they would have to seel all their players at cut prices just to stay aflot....now who does that sound like?

Chelsea will become another Leeds, going from the heights of the Champiosn League to Division One in a hurry.

Edited by TheArsenal

True.

This is the thing, all the Chelsea fans I say this to say "Oh no, that will never happen." But I think it will, with most clubs, passion is followed by money, whereas with Chelsea, the money is first followed by passion (if there is any, just ask Crespo, Mutu, Veron).

I really want Chelsea to crumble it would be so funny, especially since I know about 6 of them and one in particular isn't even a proper Chelsea fan, he used to support Utd but for some reaosn changed to Chelsea in about 2002 and now they have been bought he thinks they are the bee's knee's. And I would LOVE to see the looks on their faces when it does happen, I would pay good money to see their faces.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I've never even heard of this Celta Vigo keeper, he could be good but until I see some clips of him in action I don't particularly want him.

Arsenal have confirmed that Sylvain Wiltord and Kanu will be leaving the club after publishing a list of 17 players being released by The Gunners.

Wiltord has already resigned himself to leaving Highbury, but he could be remaining in North London with arch-rivals Tottenham reportedly being interested.

France coach Jacques Santini is taking over at White Hart Lane after the European Championship, and Wiltord may come with his national team manager.

He could get the chance to earn an even bigger move should he impress in Euro 2004, and knows now he will be playing for his future in Portugal.

Nigeria international Kanu has gradually fallen down the pecking order at Highbury as Arsene Wenger began to look elsewhere for back-up forwards for Thierry Henry.

Despite his outrageous tricks and immense talent, Kanu has failed to score consistently enough for Wenger and never got a look-in during their unbeaten championship season.

The Premiership champions have also confirmed that Igors Stepanovs will be joining Martin Keown in moving on.

The Latvian stopper is also involved in Euro 2004 with his country and he too will have to turn in some decent displays to earn a contract for next season.

Stepanovs spent the past season on loan with Belgian side Beveren and he may have to return to the Jupiler league for regular action.

Reserves goalkeeper Rami Shaaban has also left Highbury after failing to establish himself.

Source

We released 17 players yesterday.

*Alex Bailey

*Stephen Bradley

*Liam Chilvers

*Craig Holloway

*Kanu

*Martin Keown

*Nicky Nicolau

*Michal Papadopulos

*Paulinho

*Ashley Probets

*Rami Shaaban

*Igors Stepanovs

*Sylvain Wiltord

Scholars

*Sam Kanu

*Dean McDonald

*Dorian Small

*Hassan Sulaiman

• 2 weeks later...

Jermaine Pennant has insisted he wants to stay at Highbury and fight for a place in the Arsenal team, despite reported interest from Liverpool and Tottenham.

The England Under-21 star spent last season on loan at Leeds United and was one of the few bright points in an otherwise disappointing campaign which saw the West Yorkshire club relegated.

Spurs and Liverpool have both been strongly tipped to make a move for the young winger, but the Nottingham-born starlet wants to make the breakthrough at Arsenal.

"My complete focus is on returning to Arsenal," he told skysports.com.

"I want to go back and have a good pre-season and prove to Arsene (Wenger) and the rest of the management team how committed to the club I am.

"I want to show how much I want to play for Arsenal."

Arsenal have just trimmed their squad down by releasing 17 players and with the likes of Ray Parlour and Freddie Ljungberg being linked with moves away form the club, Pennant looks likely to figure prominently over the coming season.

source: skysports.com

I am glad he wants to stay and fight for his place, he is a great player with a wonderful future, I just hope Wenger gives him a chance, I mean he scored a hat trick on his full debut.

The jury is still out on Pennant. I mean, I'm a Watford fan and when he was on loan we hadn't seen anything like him since Barnes - a player who could go past other players. But he is just so lazy, he never tracks back and in a team where everyone has to work - like Arsenal - he seems out of place.