Arsenal Thread

TMM

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Morientes linked with Arsenal, Chelsea

Spanish striker Fernando Morientes is interested in a move to England and is proud to be linked with clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea.

morientes0930_ad.jpg

Morientes: £17.5m transfer? (AdamDavy/Empics)

Morientes is still a Real Madrid player, but has been on loan at Monaco this season and has played a big part in the French side's run to the Champions League final.

The 28-year-old is the leading scorer in Europe's top club competition with nine goals and has been linked with a £17.5m transfer to either of the English duo.

'I am proud that teams like Arsenal and Chelsea are interested in me,' Morientes told The Sun.

'There are some big clubs in England and it's a very competitive league.

'I have been away from Real Madrid for a year and I don't know what will happen.

'If an offer comes from England then first of all Real Madrid have to take the decision. But I would like to go there.

Source

Morientes? I don't think Wenger needs him with Van Persie coming into the side.

Chelsea could use him to replace Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, but I think Abramovich is going for a 'bigger' signing, in terms of reputation.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking could Keown not have stayed as a cover? He doesn't seem to concerned with playing every game every week, he's still good enough to play a small role from time to time.

Morientes isn't someone we need to be honest, not with Van Persie coming in and young players like Bentley and Aliadiere still around.

Am I the only one who thinks we should sell Skeletore?

Skeletore? Who's Skeletore? Help...

Morientes...not needed IMO. He's good, but we don't really need the guy if you ask me.

No, I don't think we should sell "Skeletore". He is good enough for backup imo. He has improved this season, the centre back we really need to sell is Stepanovs. He is pointless.

I say sign one more cover centre back, maybea 25 year oldish area. And since Senderos may be getitng a look in next season. There you go, 5 centre backs.

Do we still have Stepanovs contracted to the club? Luhzny (not sure of the spelling there) just got released by Wolves, we could snap him back up and reunite him with his Latvian friend. Or not.

We could probably do with a good or decent defender coming in. Good news about Lauren signing a contract extension.

Arsenal's players and supporters have finished top of their respective Fair Play Leagues.

Arsène Wenger's champions, who completed an unbeaten Premiership season last weekend, took top spot ahead of London rivals Chelsea, Charlton and Fulham.

Each top-flight team is awarded points for criteria including red and yellow cards, positive play and respect towards referees and opponents.

The supporters are also awarded marks for their behaviour during the season, and Arsenal's fans have done their club proud by topping the table.

Wenger paid tribute to his squad and the fans after their latest achievements. "I'm delighted that we have finished top of the fair play table this season," he said

"It shows that we have not only won matches but won them in a fair and positive way.

"After the incident at Old Trafford, I said that we didn't act in the correct way and we made a conscious effort to address our behaviour.

"I'm very proud of the players and they really deserve credit, not only for the way we have played this season but for the discipline they have shown.

"It's also fantastic that our supporters have finished top of the Fair Play League as well. Throughout the season, they have been absolutely superb, both at Highbury and away from home.

"The Arsenal supporters really have been our 12th man this season and their contribution cannot be underestimated."

Prize money of £30,000 is awarded to the club finishing the season at the top of the Fair Play League, with £20,000 going to the club whose supporters are deemed to be the best behaved.

Credit:- Arsenal.com

Don't you love it? People go on about how bad we are so bad and stuff, yet we're top of the fair play league!

Where did Man Utd finish then?

It feels good to have won that espcially how people are alway's moaning that Arsenal are dirty players and always cheat, when in fact we are the best in the league when it comes down to playing fair and not cheating.

Well, now summer is upon us, what do you want to see happen in the transfer market?

I would like to see Frey join us as cover for Lehmann for a year maybe and palying all cup games (doubt that will happen though), I would like to see Willy Sagnol too, we need another right back as we have no cover for Lauren. We have Toure but he is first choice centre back and then Hoyte who has no experience, he needs to be loaned out. We need two more centre backs, one 20 or younger and maybe an established 25 year old. That will do for cover seeing as we have Senderos as well.

For players to leave, Hopefully Stepanovs will be gone and looks like Kanu is going. As much as I really don't want him to leave, I think Gio is off and same with Pennant, I doubt he is going to force himself into the team, but we will see. And Jeffers, he can piss off. I don't like him, never have, never will

And Jeffers, he can piss off. I don't like him, never have, never will

Don't talk about my best friends cousin like that! :lol:

But yeah, he is a dickhead. My friend thinks so too. Apparently he thinks he's gods gift. Wanker.