Arsenal Thread

TMM

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Yes, number 23.

EDIT:

A picture of the Cameroon midfielder was placed at the front of the alter and eight-year-old fan Steven Hampson paraded Foe's number 23 shirt, which has now been retired by the club as a mark of respect.
Edited by muddatrucker

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The traditional open top Championship celebration parade will take place on Sunday, May 16.

Commencing at 10.30am, the route is as follows:

Right out of the South Stand car park into Avenell Road, left at the junction of Avenell Road and Aubert Park, then right at the junction of Aubert Park and Highbury Park.

It continues along Highbury Grove and takes a right into St Paul's Road, along St. Paul's Road to Highbury Corner roundabout and then along Upper Street to Islington Town Hall.

parade_route.jpg

Credit:- Arsenal.com

I love our parades, and I go every year. We don't usually have them on a Sunday but I don't see why I won't be able to go this year.

TheArsenal, are you a former EWB3 member? If so, who?

I was there for a time, but I got suspended....with the suspension due to end some time in 1957. I was never told why I was suspended, but the whole "clean slate" thing is giving me a second chance - and I love you all for it!!

I was "Scot" at EWB3 - I was there for a good amount of time, but I never built up a huge fan base like some members do. I ran a journal called "WWF 1998 - The Era of Attitude!" which some people might remember.

But now...bakc to the Arsenal talk.....HURRAH FOR HENRY!!! 38 goals this season with a game to go. God I love that man.

I really want to go to Highbury for the parade this year, but it's short notice. If I knew the date last week, I'd definetley be going. I probably will go...but I don't know.

I went to the 2001/02 season's one, and was right at the end. T'was fun.

Guest I Bleed Red

As much as I hate the blue scum, I do think that's a nice gesture retiring his number.

Even though Foe was FAR from a class player, it's still sad how it happened, and as such is a nice gesture on their part.

As much as I hate the blue scum, I do think that's a nice gesture retiring his number.

Even though Foe was FAR from a class player, it's still sad how it happened, and as such is a nice gesture on their part.

You may not have meant it like this, but to me that sounded like you don't think he deserved it. He was a very good player, not class no, but like Beckham, he was on of THE most commited players I have ever seen.

It's one of the most respectful things I've ever seen in football, and he definetly deserved it.

Guest I Bleed Red

oh i'm saying he deserved it to hav ehis number retired under the circumstances...

I was just saying like, had it not happened, he probably wouldn'ta gotten his number retired..that's all

Guest I Bleed Red

See, I was questioned as to what exactly I meant in the post above mine, so I was answering it. I know it is a "duh" statement, but I guess some people need it taken to that level before they can understand it

oh i'm saying he deserved it to hav ehis number retired under the circumstances...

I was just saying like, had it not happened, he probably wouldn'ta gotten his number retired..that's all

I thought that was what you meant, but with you being a total and utter IDIOT, I wasn't sure. :P

Only kidding :D

...or am I?

Martin Keown will tomorrow make his final appearance for Arsenal after being told he will have to leave the club this summer if he wishes to continue his playing career.

However, the veteran defender, who joined Arsenal as a trainee in 1982, has been reassured that a coaching role awaits him at Highbury in the future.

Keown, who turns 38 in July, is out of contract this summer but believes he can continue playing and several top-flight clubs would be interested in the services of such an experienced defender.

Wenger confirmed: ``I think that Martin is finished here as a player and, if he wants to go on and play - as I think he will - he will certainly sign somewhere else.

``Later, he will certainly be a coach. I think it will be here. He has two more years to offer as a player first.''

Wenger will ensure Keown, who could interest the likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace, West Ham and Portsmouth, earns his third Premiership winner's medal by making his 10th appearance of the season as a substitute against Leicester.

After all, he believes the former England international embodies just what Arsenal have achieved in reaching the verge of an historic unbeaten league campaign.

``I'm very happy to speak highly about Martin. In his last session of the season ahead of a game in which he will be a substitute, he stayed on to do extra training,'' he added.

``That tells you more than anything else. You cannot give someone that special motivation and, without it, you won't be a champion like Martin.

``From the first to the last minute of the season, he is prepared to fight and give his best in every minute. You pay to coach those people as they make you enjoy the job.''

Keown, who has a testimonial at Highbury on Monday, has spent two spells at Arsenal, having also played for Aston Villa and Everton in between.

He admitted recently: ``Having left this club once before, I know what it can do to you. Manchester United players probably say the same so you don't go lightly.

``I'll leave the door open but if I have to go, everyone has to leave here at some point. It's what you do while you're here that matters.''

Wenger, meanwhile, also revealed that several clubs had shown an interest in taking promising 19-year-old winger David Bentley on loan next season.

``Norwich have shown a big interest but there are a few other clubs as well - West Ham, West Brom and Bolton - who are also interested,'' said the Arsenal boss.

``I want him to stay in the Premiership or to be at the top end of the First Division. In the end, it will be down to him, as well as the club where he has the best chance to play regularly.''

It's sad that the last member of the great "Back 5" is leaving us. I think he will be missed and it will leave us a little short at the back. I hope he does go on to play for another year or so because he's still got it.

It's sort of like the changing of the guard. The last remnants of the great Arsenal defence is leaving.

Wenger, meanwhile, also revealed that several clubs had shown an interest in taking promising 19-year-old winger David Bentley on loan next season.

Winger? WINGER!?! He's a bloody striker...silly people...

It's sort of like the changing of the guard. The last remnants of the great Arsenal defence is leaving.

Its sad that he is leavung us espcially like you said him being the last of the old guard. I dont think there will ever be a greater defence at Arsenal than when it was the old guard.