Arsenal Thread

TMM

Pennant looks like he wants to give it one more crack at getting into the team which I respect, hope he gets a run.

Edu was in the papers today stating that he thinks Arsenal shouldn't sell Freddie Ljungberg, apparently Wiltord is going to leave though.

I think we could do with a good defender. We could have a look at some good young goalkeepers too, but we can easily get by for another year without a one.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barca sign Van Bronckhorst

Van Bronckhorst has impressed while at the Nou Camp

Midfielder Giovanni van Bronckhorst has completed a permanent move from Arsenal to Spanish giants Barcelona.

The 29-year-old has been on loan at the Nou Camp since the summer of 2003 after failing to seal a regular place in the Arsenal first team.

He had intended to return to London but has become an important member of Barcelona's starting line-up.

Van Bronckhorst has signed a three-year deal while the two clubs have agreed a personal settlement for the player.

source: bbc.co.uk/sport

Shame to see him leave really, we signed him for near enough 9m and he had the worst possible time at Highbury, I liked him, he is a quality player, great passer of the ball, but there is no room for him anyway.

Shame but it's the best thing for him, he won't ever play left midfield with Pires there, and with Cole and Clichy left back he's got even less chance. Then there's Vieira, Edu, Gilberto and Parlour in the middle.

Looks as though Wiltord might be around an extra year. Middlesbrough are interested, but then they've been bidding for every player in Premiership since the league ended.

Wenger wants Kaka

By PAT SHEEHAN

ARSENE WENGER wants a Kaka up the Arsenal.

The Gunners manager is poised to open talks with AC Milan for the Brazilian midfield wizard — who has been a sensation in his first Serie A season.

Wenger has publicly stated he is not planning any summer buys.

But, behind the scenes, Highbury chiefs are hoping a bid of around £15million will tempt the Italian champs into parting with the 22-year-old playmaker they signed from Sao Paulo last September.

The San Siro giants have the Samba star — real name Ricardo Izecson dos Santos — on a three-year deal.

But Highbury moneymen would finance any bid through their move to the club’s new ground at Ashburton Grove.

The champions plan to include executive and corporate boxes at the new 60,000-seat stadium.

And they will ask anyone wanting to buy one to cough up 50 per cent of the cost in advance. That would give boss Wenger a huge transfer war chest.

Kaka netted four times for AC in the Champions League. He also has four in 10 games for Brazil.

:o:o:o:o:o

It's true. I'd love to see Kaka in the Premiership with us actually. It's great that we seem to have money sprouting out of the walls all of a sudden!

Bayern Munich star Owen Hargreaves has revealed he would like to move to the Premiership, and identified Liverpool and Arsenal as his preferred destinations.

The England international midfielder has two years left on his contract with Bayern but admits he is now ready to end his time in Germany.

"Sometimes you just know when it's time to move on and take a new step," the 23-year-old told The Guardian.

"The Premiership, in particular, is brilliant and the fans are fantastic and just to be there every week would be a dream for me.

"Liverpool, with a new manager, will be looking to strengthen their squad.

"With one or two players they could be a very talented team. The basis is already there with Stevie Gerrard and Michael Owen.

"That would be a great destination for me, and I think I would fit in really well.

"Arsenal are a wonderful team. I'd love to play for them but I just don't know if they need any new players.

"Manchester United are in a bit of a transition and Chelsea have a wad of money to spend on who they want.

"If I had carte blanche to choose I would say I'd be a good fit at Liverpool. But I also feel I'd be a good fit at Arsenal and even at Man United for that matter."

I have always wanted to see Hargreaves play for us, the thing is he wouldn't really fit in, but I think Wenger should make a move as he can play full bvack and anywhere in midfield. Edu, Vieira, Gilberto and Hargreaves would be a fantastic depth for central midfield. He could cover for Ljunberg too seeing as we don't really have anyone to cover that position. I think we should make a move.

He would be a fantastic buy, but like he said we dont really need any new players at the moment, if he comes in Edu would proablly lose a good chance of getting regular first team football.

It would be nice to see Wenger buy an English player too!

Except Owen Hargreaves isn't really English...

I haven't seen much German football, but on the international front I've never been impressed with Hargreaves. I'd look somewhere else if I was Wenger, I'm sure he'll pick up someone amazing for a minimal amount of money.

Edited by fineintent

Arsenal star Ashley Cole feels he has become a hate figure for many football fans across the country but believes he does not deserve such criticism.

The England international claims that critics are determined to find fault with his game rather than concentrate on more positive aspects.

However, Cole insists that he is unfazed by the stick he receives and does not let it affect his game.

"People always seem to focus on the bad things I'd done - saying I dive, saying that I do bad tackles," he told The Sun.

"I'm like the bad wolf, the big bad wolf of football. Everyone hates me!

"I just think 'what have I done to deserve that?'

"I played for England, I try my hardest for England.

"I've not always played too well, of course, but that's not my fault. I want to play well but people seem to be on my back all the time.

"I don't know what it is that I've done wrong for people to hate me but, to be honest, I don't care."

Cole went on to admit he was wrong for his part in the scuffle between Arsenal and Manchester United players at Old Trafford earlier in the season, but believes it actually turned out to be a positive incident for The Gunners.

"Two of the top teams in the country were fighting for the three points and pride as well, no one wanted to lose.

"When he (van Nistelrooy) missed his penalty, we were just happy that we hadn't lost the game in the last minute.

"It was a little bit mad and, looking back on it, you think 'what was I doing?'

"But I was just backing up a team-mate.

"People were saying we don't have any team spirit - so we just proved that we did.

"We did have fighting spirit, maybe too much fight. But people asked if we were a team and if we were together. We just proved that we were."

Source

If Van Nistelrooy had scored that penalty, Arsenal wouldn't have gone the season unbeaten. I dare say the Battle of Old Trafford actually made Arsenal stronger.

Arsenal have reportedly made a £2.5 million bid for Celta Vigo goalkeeper Manuel Almunia.

The 27-year-old had a great season last term, as he spent the campaign playing on loan for Albacete.

He helped Albacete finish in 14th spot in La Liga while Celta were relegated after finishing second from bottom.

The shot-stopper is now looking to leave the Estadio Balaidos, and Premiership champions Arsenal are interested.

Celta secretary Felix Carnero says that they have received just one offer for the keeper, from The Gunners, and will now discuss whether they shall accept it or not.

"The only offer we've received is from Arsenal for Alumnia," Carnero said in AS.

"It's the only offer we have. We are evaluating whether to accept it or not."

Arsene Wenger still seems unconvinced by German keeper Jens Lehman and is still on the look-out for a new shot-stopper to add to his squad.

Has anyone heard of this bloke before? I haven't, I am just going to do a search on CM to see iof he is any good on it and give me an idea of who he is.

According to my Championship Manager...he's an average 'keeper, but CM stats and real life stats are different things. I've never seen him play, but I still don't understand WHY Wenger doesn't try harder to get Frey! He's said before he'd like to play for us...