Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muddatrucker

Looks like he's going to madrid, although I'd rather just keep him and not play him, hopefully he'll get fat and get some kinda career ending anal injury from when Tweedy does her Sol Campbell bumming impression.

Guest usual suspect

I dunno what to make of all this Cole stuff. I mean, if he doesn't want to be at the club, we should sell him. On the other hand it's good to see Arsenal aren't selling themselves short just because he wants to throw his toys out the pram. We need to protect our own investments and have every right to demand the money we want for him.

Arsène Wenger has steadfastly denied making a bid for anyone, including Franck Ribery.

The 23-year-old Marseille winger is the latest name to be linked with a move to Arsenal. For the second time in two days, Wenger has utterly refuted suggestions he was tracking the French World Cup star.

“I can say one thing,” he said after the 3-0 victory at Dinamo Zagreb. “I have not made a bid for Frank Ribery, I categorically deny that. I have not made a bid for anybody. So I can say 'no' for every name you put forward.

“Will I? Frankly, I do not know. It depends if somebody goes or not but even if somebody goes it is not sure I will make a bid for anybody. If you look at the players we have left at home tonight it is quite impressive - Henry, Ljungberg, Walcott.

"I am not going to add players to the team just to be spectacular.”

Source: Arsenal.com

WHY!? WHY WON'T HE BUY ANYONE!!!!?

I dunno what to make of all this Cole stuff. I mean, if he doesn't want to be at the club, we should sell him. On the other hand it's good to see Arsenal aren't selling themselves short just because he wants to throw his toys out the pram. We need to protect our own investments and have every right to demand the money we want for him.

Arsène Wenger has steadfastly denied making a bid for anyone, including Franck Ribery.

The 23-year-old Marseille winger is the latest name to be linked with a move to Arsenal. For the second time in two days, Wenger has utterly refuted suggestions he was tracking the French World Cup star.

“I can say one thing,” he said after the 3-0 victory at Dinamo Zagreb. “I have not made a bid for Frank Ribery, I categorically deny that. I have not made a bid for anybody. So I can say 'no' for every name you put forward.

“Will I? Frankly, I do not know. It depends if somebody goes or not but even if somebody goes it is not sure I will make a bid for anybody. If you look at the players we have left at home tonight it is quite impressive - Henry, Ljungberg, Walcott.

"I am not going to add players to the team just to be spectacular.”

Source: Arsenal.com

WHY!? WHY WON'T HE BUY ANYONE!!!!?

There probably isn't huge sums of money available, he spent alot of money in January on Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott.

Apparently the money shouldn't be a problem at all. There should be plenty of money to spend on players, Wenger's just the type of manager who doesn't buy for the sake of buying (which by buying Ribery he would be).

Before the end of the season, he even said himself that there was money available, but how he can think we don't need more players is beyond me. We had the smallest squad int he Premiership last year BEFORE all the injuries hit, and this summer we've let several players go and only brought in one. Surely he can see we need defensive cover?

Before the end of the season, he even said himself that there was money available, but how he can think we don't need more players is beyond me. We had the smallest squad int he Premiership last year BEFORE all the injuries hit, and this summer we've let several players go and only brought in one. Surely he can see we need defensive cover?

The thing about the defensive cover is, yeah we do, but only for early on. We've got some injuries there, and obviously if Ashley Cole goes we need to buy someone. But Wenger seems to have a lot of faith in the defenders who we have. We have Phillipe Senderos and Kolo Toure who are our first-choice defenders, and if he did buy anyone they'd be solely for back-up because Toure and Senderos are long-term investments.

As back-up we have Pascal Cygan who for the most part is decent back-up, as a starter it's worrying. But after that we have Johan Djourou, Ryan Garry and Justin Hoyte who are all suppose to have a great future ahead of them. Garry has had a horrible time with injuries, but he was always seen as a great player for the future. Same goes for Hoyte and Djourou in having great futures. Hell, Djourou played and started in the World Cup, so he's got to be at least decent.

Personally I don't think we need to buy any new defenders. I want to see Garry, Hoyte and Djourou get runs in the team because they have quality.

According to Arsenal.com, the current list of defenders in the First Team Squad is:

Ashley Cole

Kolo Toure

Philippe Senderos

Lauren

Pascal Cygan

Johan Djourou

Gael Clichy

Emmanuel Eboue

Justin Hoyte

Matthew Connolly

Kerrea Gilbert - season long loan at Cardiff

Considering Cole could be off, it doesn't leave us with a lot of strength at the back. And only one or two injuries could see us playing a scarily weak back line. If we get three, four or five injuries to defenders (which is still better than last year when we had 8 defenders injured at one point) just isn't worth thinking about.

EDIT:- The website says Alexandre Song is a midfielder, so I've taken his name off the list.

Edited by TheArsenal

Reyes hopes for Real deal

Jose Antonio Reyes has reiterated his intention to join Real Madrid, according to reports in Spain.

The Arsenal attacker is understood to be keen to return to Spain after finding it difficult to adjust to living in England.

Real's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic held talks with Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein last week and reports suggest the sticking point is the fee.

For his part, Reyes is hopeful the two clubs can come to an agreement after informing Gunners boss Arsene Wenger of his desire to head home.

Speaking upon his arrival in Spain, to link up with the national squad ahead of the midweek friendly in Iceland, the former Sevilla starlet confirmed his wish to join Real.

"I have said to Wenger and the chairman of Arsenal that the offer from Madrid is irresistible for me," Reyes told AS.

"It is a dream that I want to fulfil and now the only thing that is lacking is an offer which is also good for Arsenal.

"Wenger already knows that I want to go away."

A deal could be struck by midweek, although Reyes concedes he will have to return to North London, if the two clubs are unable to settle on a fee.

He added: "My intention was one of not having to return to incorporate myself into working with Arsenal, but that will be necessary if the negotiations do not finish soon.

"I hope to go to London on Wednesday and then return home fast to initiate a new stage.

"I have put everything in on my part. I have taken all the opportunities and continued to work hard for Wenger.

"The coach knows that I have had problems adapting to life in England.

"If we do not reach an agreement, it would be something bad for Arsenal and me."

Source: Sky Sports

Oh well, Reyes is pretty much off, and I'm not particularly bothered. He showed glimpses of what he could do while he was with us, and for £20m+, glimpses isn't enough.

It's a shame because he is a very good player, he just couldn't adjust to living in London.

If those are his words though, I'm pissed off with him. He'll tell the Spanish media one thing, then tell Arsenal the complete opposite, so it's getting to the point of ridiculousness where I just hope we get at least £20m for him.

It seems that Cole isn't going anywhere either does it? Can't say I even care anymore. I'm just waiting for Chelsea to go and buy another left-back and then see Cole have a MIRACULOUS change of heart and declare his love for Arsenal, and then say he never wanted to leave and then go and sign a new contract. Wouldn't that be a TOTAL shocker!

£20+ million for reyes? :lol:

Yup, that's what we paid. Do remember you just paid over £18m for Carrick, who's barely worth £10m :P.

Anyway, we won't get £20m, most likely about £15m from Real, but it's pretty much gonna come down to the fee as well as whether Wenger will let him go.

Edited by TMM

I was referring to you saying you'd hope you got at least £20 Million for him, when realistically he's worth a fraction of that.

Carrick was costly I'll give you that, but he was from an already inflated English market, coming from a potential-rival in the same league. The £14M (£18M with clauses) was paying for the fact he was English and had premiership experience, sided with the fact Spurs didn't have to sell.

Reyes on the otherhand has reiterated god knows how many times he wants to leave for Madrid. Wenger would be stupid to hold onto him against his own will and realistically your only talking £12-15M, IMO.

I also see Calderon's come out and said he's given up on his pledge to sign Kaka, Robben and Ronaldo. No fucking surprise there, I doubt any of the presidential candidates could've held up their end of the bargain.

Did Reyes actually end up costing £20 million. I know the deal was worth a potential £20 million over time based on appearances etc. which probably won't get paid now.

I dunno, I can't remember if they said how the deal was going to work out, but I'm sure they got the vast majority of the £23m the deal was worth.

Did Reyes actually end up costing £20 million. I know the deal was worth a potential £20 million over time based on appearances etc. which probably won't get paid now.

I dunno, I can't remember if they said how the deal was going to work out, but I'm sure they got the vast majority of the £23m the deal was worth.

Also, there will probably be a percentage due of whatever Arsenal get for Reyes due to Sevilla as I don't see Sevilla having let him go without asking for at least 10% of his next transfer fee on top.

Which is another reason why I think Wenger will hold out for a bigger price then Real are said to have offered.

Arsenal stars Thierry Henry, Emmanuel Eboue and Jens Lehmann have all received nominations for the UEFA club football awards.

The Emirates Stadium trio have each been nominated for awards in their respective positions and are also automatically shortlisted for title of UEFA club footballer of the year 2006.

Jens Lehmann faces competition from Juventus stopper Gianluigi Buffon and Lyon's Gregory Coupet for the goalkeeping honours, whilst Eboue is shortlisted alongside Juve's Fabio Cannavaro and Barcelona's Carles Puyol in the defender of the year category.

Henry faces stiff competition in the forward of the year group, in the form of Barcelona's Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o.

Nominees for club midfielder are Juan Roman Riquelme of Villarreal, Juninho of Lyon and Barcelona's Deco.

A new voting procedure gives the coaches of all 16 teams that reached the knockout stage of last year's competition the chance to cast their verdicts, alongside members of the UEFA technical study Group.

The title of club footballer of the year is decided upon solely by the 16 coaches.

The awards are to be presented during the draw for the UEFA Champions League group stage, on August 24 in Monaco.

The most valuable player of the UEFA Cup 2005-06 award will be presented the following day during the draw for the UEFA Cup.

Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka is shortlisted alongside Sevilla trio Daniel Alves, Enzo Maresca and Javier Saviola.

Just got back from the game. Man is the atmosphere better.

Theo got a huge reception and he looks pretty damn good. I think he will start on Wednesday.

On another day we would have won that 4 or 5-nil. They had one chance which went in, it was all one way traffic, we had roughly 104 corners as well, which shick horror we didn't score from any of.

We need some banners or something on the tiers too as it looks shit at the moment, it is just brown concrete, we need something to make it feel more like home.

And I don't know why Wenger insists on starting Adebayor instead of van Persie, I really don't. I haven't really been impressed by Adebayor at all.

Edited by Gooner27