Arsenal Thread

TMM

Gunners duo pen new deals

Arsene Wenger has confirmed that both Sol Campbell and Lauren have signed new deals with Arsenal.

The Gunners have a number of players with contracts that expire at the end of the season, with defender Campbell being their main concern.

Campbell has, however, previously said that he wanted to remain at Highbury and was close to agreeing a new deal.

Lauren has been linked with a move back to Spain, with both Real Madrid and Barcelona reportedly interested in the Cameroon stopper.

The former Mallorca man was unhappy with the club for only proposing a one-year extension, but a longer contract offer has seen him sign on the dotted line.

Wenger now says that both men have signed new contracts with the Premiership champions.

Lauren has penned a fresh two-year contract, while Campbell has reportedly penned a deal for at least the next two seasons.

The news will be a boost to Wenger, who is currently facing the prospect of Brazilian midfielder Edu leaving the club.

Edu is also out of contract in the summer but he has so far refused to sign a new deal and could be on the move to Valencia.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lauren is very underrated at Arsenal and plays a huge part for them IMO, it is good news for all gunners fans. Same with Campbell really when he is missing Cygan comes in but is a class level below Campbell

I hope Edu changes his mind and signs a new contract, we really need that sort of player in midfield with Gilberto out and Vieira out of form. Fabregas is starting to show signs of fatigue, so being able to put Edu back in the first team would be great.

If not, I really hope Wenger starts to put some cash about and bulk up the squad. It can really do with it.

Glad that Lauren and Campbell have signed new contracts, we really can't afford to let them go, same with Edu, but it looks like he will be going regadless. Anyone now how long Gilberto is out for, and is Edu injured or is Wenger just not playing him. I think Pennant should really start playing some games or is he injured to, if not push him out on the right wing, Pires or Fredie could play in center or left.

GK-Lehman

RB-Lauren

LB-Cole

CB-Campbell

CB-Toure

RM-Pennant

LM-Pires

D/CM-Vieira

A/CM-Fredie

FC-Henry

FC-Reyes

*Thanks for pointing out the typo.

This way Fabregas gets a rest aswell, then we have the likes of Bergkamp, Van Persie, Flamini and Edu(unless injured) on the bench. We really have a strong side and we should be playing alot better than what we do at times, losing anynore players will definatley hurt us, once the injuries begin, it seems at times we have no depth in the squad.

Edited by Cortez

I had noticed that before, him in attacking midfield while Freddie defends makes little sesne, I read it as a typo, though it might not have been.

I think we've really missed Reyes and Bergkamp while they've been out injured. When Bergkamp doesn't play we just don't create the same amount of chances, we miss him playing in between Henry and the midfield. Reyes' absence has been noticed, his pace and skill for me put him ahead of van Persie, who doesn't always fill me with the confidence Reyes does in front of goal.

Hopefully Bergkamp might go back into the side to face Newcastle on Sunday, perhaps Reyes too? I don't think anybody would disagree it really is must win for us. Wenger has reportedly said we'd need to win 14 of the next 15 to win the league - I wouldn't say he's far wrong. Even then it's dependent on what Chelsea do.

Edited by supergrass

I've heard a lot about Essien from last weekend's papers but nothing about Van der Vaart.

Though it would be a great signing. Wenger clearly has a talent for picking up players not known and making them great, but I think at the moment we could benefit from a big name signing. Not necessarily Van der Vaart, but somebody along those lines who could come in and have an instant impact.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Wenger has said he'll sign an experienced replacement, but apparently they'll be cheap, cheap but good.

There are a few names being thrown about, Arseblog are suggesting Van Bommel, I dunno, I'd sooner have Edu out and someone in, rather than be in this locked horns situation.

We should've thrashed Newcastle. Given was awesome, as was every Arsenal player.

Souness needs to get rid of every defender minus Boumsong and start again. Shit; Shearer's probably a better defender than the rest of them. It's laughable how terrible they all are.

Anyway, Newcastle were lucky to lose just 1-0. Should've been at least 3-0.

We should've thrashed Newcastle. Given was awesome, as was every Arsenal player.

Souness needs to get rid of every defender minus Boumsong and start again. Shit; Shearer's probably a better defender than the rest of them. It's laughable how terrible they all are.

Anyway, Newcastle were lucky to lose just 1-0. Should've been at least 3-0.

I think the real difference today was Bergkamp and Reyes' inclusion. Bergkamp just links up so well, while Reyes works hard on the left and at time pops up as a third forward for us. when Bergkamp, Reyes, Henry and Pires are all up there we look like scoring every time.

Flamini worked hard today too, I like him more and more every time I see him play. We should have scored more but we've got 3 points in the bag and hopefully are back in form, which is the most important thing of all if it's true.

Also, I must say I don't rate Boumsong anywhere near £8m. I think he's slow and I think the more he plays he's just going to get court out. Of course, playing alongside Titus Bramble doesn't do anyone at Newcastle any favours - their defence is in trouble...more so than ours (who were also pretty good today).

EDIT: Malenko, they started with:

RB: Taylor

LB: Bernard

CB: Boumsong

CB: Bramble

Edited by supergrass

Given was superb today, how he can see things happen in slow motion and react to them even after he's initially dived is amazing, kept Newcastle in the game, should of been more, but that didn't matter come the end.

Pennant arrested

Arsenal's Jermaine Pennant has been arrested after a car accident.

A Mercedes crashed in Aylesbury, less than 24 hours before Arsenal's Premiership clash with Newcastle.

Pennant, who is already serving a 16-month driving ban, failed a breath test at the scene.

The 22-year-old was forced out of the match with Newcastle as he was held by Police.

He has now been released on bail and is scheduled to face Magistrates on February 1 where he will face drink driving, driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance charges.

Edited by G-O-D

I've really disliked Edu's attitude over this whole thing, and stood firmly behind Wengers 'sign or you cant play' idea, I'd of liked him to stay originally but as things had progressed I've thought we should let him go and find a replacement.

I read the Pennant thing this morning, he's not doing himself any favours, I really like him as a player and would love to see him break into the first team but an incident like this won't help that. Pennant has said he doesn't want to leave and will fight to get a new contract and place in the first team, so I don't know. I'll look forward to Wengers reaction.

Gunners hit with Fifa fine

Arsenal have been fined £10,000 after admitting using an unlicensed agent in the signing of Quincy Owusu Abeyie.

The Gunners signed the 18-year-old way back in 2002 from Ajax and they have fallen foul of Fifa after the contract negotiations were brokered by an agent without the required documentation.

Arsenal have been hit with a suspended transfer ban, but it will be implemented if they breach Fifa rules again in the next two years.

If activated, Arsenal will be prohibited from any national and/or international transfers for a period of two years.

Owusu Abeyie has failed to hold down a regular place at Highbury since his move from the Amsterdam ArenA, but Gunners chief Arsene Wenger said in November that he has no doubt that the striker will prove a success for Arsenal.

Pennant joins Blues

Birmingham have signed Arsenal's Jermaine Pennant on loan for the rest of the season.

The 22-year-old winger becomes Steve Bruce's second loan signing of the transfer window after Salif Diao joined from Liverpool.

Pennant spent last season on loan at Leeds, but had wanted to earn a place in Arsene Wenger's first team this term.

The former Notts County youngster was arrested at the weekend after being involved in a car crash, forcing him out of The Gunners' clash with Newcastle on Sunday.

He has to attend a February 1 hearing at Magistrates Court to answer charges of drink driving, driving whilst disqualified and driving without insurance, as he was already on a 16-month driving ban.

Pennant, however, had not earned a regular slot in Wenger's starting XI, and he has been linked with several loan moves away from Highbury.

His current contract at Arsenal expires at the end of the season and it remains to be seen if he will get another chance with The Gunners.

Holy shit, that's bad. We had better be fucking careful with agents from now on. Money hungry bastards. I just hope we check out every single one we use from now on.

Bloody hell, why not give Pennant a damn chance? He needs a shot in the first-team if he's ever going to prove himself. He's barely played this season, and the times he did in the Premiership were like 15 minute cameo's; hardly gonna show off what he's got like that!

Edited by The_Monkey_Molester

Well, Ljungberg has been great this season that is why he hasn't had a chance, I say fuck him. If he can't learn then he isn't welcome here, it isn't hard. He could have made himself a great player but no top team is going to want him now, he is too risky.

Wenger has to sign Wright-Phillips soon now.