Arsenal Thread

TMM

I think Wenger might keep Campbell as his first choice centre back, then pair him largely with Senderos (with Toure at right back) or with Toure (putting Lauren back in a right back) from time to time. Lauren was a midfielder when we signed him, whenever Toure is filling in at right back Lauren could easily take a midfield place. After all, Ljungberg's subject to the odd injury throughout the season and Fabregas isn't a natural wide on the right no matter how many times he plays there.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I like Guti and I'd like to have him, but if it'd take a big portion of our transfer budget I'd rather put that money towards a position we need to focus on;

e.g. a Striker, Defender and Keeper.

EDIT: We need to get involved though, It seems likely that unless we start putting our foot down, we'll have no new players come september.

Edited by muddatrucker

Arsenal bid for SWP holding up Hleb deal

Jonathan Chong 

Wednesday, 22 June 2005 12:34 PM

LONDON (ARSENAL-MANIA) - Arsenal-Mania has learned that an offer for Manchester City's Shaun Wright-Phillips is currently holding up the Hleb deal.

With both players playing in the same position [on the right of midfield], it seems that Arsenal want to wait to see if Manchester City are willing to sell.

Whilst the bid from Arsenal is considerable, there has also been an offer from Chelsea, and Manchester City are considering both bids.

For his part, Shaun Wright-Phillips has indicated to the City board that he wants a move to Arsenal.

WE will update this as we learn more.

source: arsenal-mania.com

Interesting.

I am not sure who I would prefer, Hleb would be cheaper, but Wright-Phillips is Wright-Phillips and he is amazing. Both would be nice but that isn't likely.

In other news, this thread is broke, it keeps fucking up my PC.

You suck Gooner :P Works fine for me.

Personally I'd prefer Wright-Phillips to Hleb simply because he's English. We need more English players, as I think the core of an English team should be English players, as Chelsea showed last year. I honestly think English players have more determination to win games, and don't seem to give up as easily as some foreign players do. There's also the fact I've never seen Hleb play, and I know what SWP can do, so, ya know.

Guest Leeleemu

As a neutral, I believe that if they had the choice they should sign Shaun Wright Philips, not only because he is english but he is already established in the Premiership and would play so well in Arsenals fast flowing team, arsenals game would be easier for him to adapt to instead of chelsea's, in my opinion he is also much quicker and more skilful the Hleb, watching Hleb in the Bundesliga there is obviously a huge pace difference but he does tend to do a steady job all round and is very consistent whereas SWP tends to drift out of games.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

If we're not willing to up our bid for Hleb to a measly £7-8million (in football terms), then I can't see us blowing around £15-20million on SWP.

Guest Leeleemu

Yeah i agree, i think no one let alone arsenal can compete with chelseas budget on players. I hope hes goes to arsenal due to the fact that I hate Man Utd and Chelsea and want Arsenal to win the league. (Y)

Guti is dating a transsexual laugh.gif for the sake of embarrasment, no thanks.

... you what? Seriously? Oh, I would love to see him go to Arsenal just for some of the more creative chants that will be aimed at him.

Just got an e-mail from Arsenal.com, it has all the Premiership fixtures for next season:

ARSENAL - BARCLAYS PREMIERSHIP - DRAFT -

Sat Aug 13  Newcastle United H

Sat Aug 20  Chelsea          A

Tue Aug 23  Fulham                  H

**    Sat Aug 27  Liverpool              A  **

** This match is likely to change due to Liverpools

participaton in the UEFA Super Cup on Fri 26 Aug **

Sat Sep 10  Middlesbrough    A

Sat Sep 17  Everton                H

Sat Sep 24  West Ham United      A

Sat Oct  1  Birmingham City        H

Sat Oct 15  West Brom Albion A

Sat Oct 22  Manchester City        H

Sat Oct 29  Tottenham Hotspur  A

Sat Nov 5          Sunderland              H

Sat Nov 19  Wigan Athletic  A

Sat Nov 26  Blackburn Rovers H

Sat Dec  3  Bolton Wanderers  A 

Sat Dec 10  Newcastle United    A

Sat Dec 17  Chelsea        H

Mon Dec 26  Charlton Athletic      A

Wed Dec 28  Portsmouth        H

Sat Dec 31  Aston Villa            A

Mon Jan  2  Manchester United  H

Sat Jan 14  Middlesbrough          H

Sat Jan 21  Everton          A

Tue Jan 31  West Ham United    H

Sat Feb  4  Birmingham City      A

Sat Feb 11  Bolton Wanderers  H

Sat Feb 25  Blackburn Rovers    A

Sat Mar  4  Fulham                  A

Sat Mar 11  Liverpool              H

Sat Mar 18  Charlton Athletic    H

Sat Mar 25  Portsmouth              A

Sat Apr  1  Aston Villa        H

Sat Apr  8  Manchester United    A

Sat Apr 15  West Brom Albion  H

Mon Apr 17  Manchester City      A

Sat Apr 22  Tottenham Hotspur  H 

Sat Apr 29  Sunderland      A

Sun May  7  Wigan Athletic          H

Copyright ? and Database Right 2005 The FA Premier League Ltd / The Football

League Ltd.

All rights reserved. Fixtures are subject to change.

Compiled in association with Atos Origin.

Obviously a bit will change when the season actually kicks off, but there you go.

WENGER MAKES STRIKER BID

Arsenal have made a bid to sign Monaco's Emmanuel Adebayor and the striker admits it would be difficult to turn down a move to Highbury.

The Togolese forward had a good season with the Principality outfit last term, bagging nine goals in 34 games, and has experience of the UEFA Champions League.

Arsene Wenger is interested in raiding his former club in an attempt to land the lanky 21-year-old and pep up his attack.

"Considering what I know, Monaco received two firm transfer offers during the last weeks," Adebayor told France Football.

"One from Toulouse and a later one from Arsenal.

"For the moment, Monaco are not pursuing it. But I can tell you, it could change if I don't prolong my contract.

"You can't refuse a club like Arsenal.

"I think the two most tempting clubs to hire me are PSG and Arsenal.

"I like Paris and I like Marseille.

"Personally, I will do anything to find an agreement with Monaco.

"Monaco consider me to be an important player but they treat me as a young player from the academy."

French sources claim Arsenal are prepared to pay €8 million for the African attacker, who is determined to secure a wage hike.

Ok...who?

I've never heard of this guy before in my life...which means he could be good, especially if Wenger's looking at him. Although (again I say this) I'd prefer a more established player to be at the club.

In my opinion they could get someone else for that amount of money, Robbie keane lol

Yeah...but no. Keane wouldn't fit in with our style of play, and I also highly doubt Tottenham would sell him to us.