Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I went to watch the shield, it was amazing hearing the comments from the Utd fans afterwards, 'we fielded our youth team', more like you took off the likes of Smith, Keane and Giggs after you went down, plus it wasn't a full strength Arsenal team anyway, at all.

Techincally a cup between the Premiership winners and FA Cup should matter, but its a shame that at the end of the day, most people see it as an exhibition.

I still expect us to win the FA Cup. Although Man Utd have beaten us twice this season, we're easily the better team IMO. I think only Man Utd fans will disagree with that.

Actually, I agree. You have a great team. Whilst ManU have some superb players they don't always play well as a team. I haven't read up lately but is Heinze going to be unavailable for the final? If so that's a huge blow since in my opinion he's been the strongest and most consistant player on the team this year. So maybe that evens things up if Arsenal don't have Henry.

Nothings really been said about Heinze recently so I'm guessing there's no change in his fitness. It's a shame, he's proven to be a vital part of the team and O'Shea's own goal at the weekend puts him in a less than convincing situation as back-up.

The papers are also reporting that Scholes is facing a fitness test as a result of a groin strain. Of course, these are the same papers this morning that are linking us with a Beckham return so take it for what its worth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nal/4457013.stm

Henry's out, which is a shame.  He's good to watch and would've made the final much more exciting.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Ruin my fucking day why don't you?

I still expect us to win the FA Cup. Although Man Utd have beaten us twice this season, we're easily the better team IMO. I think only Man Utd fans will disagree with that.

On a side note, Robert Pires has said he'd be interested in a move to Benfica if he would leave us at the end of the next season. I hope he stays on for another year (after next season) because he'll still be one of the best in the league I expect.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hinted that he may consider leaving the club when they move to their new ground at Ashburton Grove.

The Frenchman has been in charge of the Gunners since the summer of 1996, but admits that he may be nearing the end of his tenure with the FA Cup winners.

He told the News of the World: "One day another manager will benefit from the new stadium and new team.

"When we go to the new stadium I feel it will have completed what I set out to do with Arsenal. It is only at that time I may look to new challenges.

"I do not see managing France as a big enough challenge but that could change. I've had many offers to manage national teams, but I like working and league football's a bigger challenge."

Gunners vice-chairman David Dein had a different view, as he told BBC's Sportsweek: "I believe Arsene will stay at the club for a long, long time.

"I believe he is Arsenal's best ever manager. His heart, his desire and ambition is still with the club and we have already said do not want him to leave the club.

"If he becomes tired of being a tracksuit manager there has to be a role for him on the board, maybe as a technical director.

"That would be his decision in the end but he has transformed the club, there is no doubt about it.

"His record with the club is almost unsurpassable.

"In eight full seasons he has won seven trophies - the FA Cup four times and the Premiership three times and for good measure four Charity and Community Shield trophies."

4thegame.com

I think they may have twisted his words, it did come from the News of the World. And didn't see it in any other paper.

Anyway, if he does leave, that would suck bigtime and we would need someone brilliant to replace him, and I can't think of many that we could get. Perhaps le Guen but I can't think of anyone else.

Robinho reveals Gunners talks

Brazilian wonderkid Robinho admits that Arsenal have been in contact with his representatives about a sensational move for the Santos man.

Robinho has long been touted as the next big star to emerge from the historically football rich grounds of Brazil, and both Real Madrid and Chelsea are believed to hold a strong interest.

The 21-year-old has broken in to the Brazilian national setup after consistently dazzling displays for Santos, and has been praised by Pele amongst others for his prodigious technique and ability.

Despite initially remaining cautious about interest from Arsene Wenger's side, Robinho has now conceded that he is in talks with The Gunners and would love to play alongside French star Thierry Henry.

"Arsenal have been in touch with my people in the last few days and they have made me aware of the offer," Robinho told the News of the World.

"I am very proud that they are looking at me because a club like Arsenal doesn't come in for you every day.

"It would be a dream for me to play alongside Thierry Henry, we will continue to talk."

Arsenal will reportedly launch a £14 million bid for his services, and if Robinho makes the move to Highbury he would join the likes of Robin van Persie and Jose Antonio Reyes in a strike-force blessed with fledgling talent.

However, after being strongly linked with a move to sign the talented youngster in the January transfer window, Real Madrid  remain at the head of the queue for his prized signature.

I don't think many people would have a real problem with us blowing all our transfer budget on him would they? :D

:lol:

All this news stuff has become pathetic lately. So many people post it and nearly all of it is lies. Mainly this one too. Robinho will no way go to Arsenal. Well he might in years time, but him going there now wont happen, or so I think anyway.

He's not a player who would fit in English football at the age he's at. He needs to go to Spain, because it's much more fast paced and suits his style perfectly. He'll know that too, that's why Madrid want him badly.

If you can somehow get him then brilliant, because he's an amazing player who will be probably the best in the world within his time.

:lol:

All this news stuff has become pathetic lately. So many people post it and nearly all of it is lies. Mainly this one too. Robinho will no way go to Arsenal. Well he might in years time, but him going there now wont happen, or so I think anyway.

He's not a player who would fit in English football at the age he's at. He needs to go to Spain, because it's much more fast paced and suits his style perfectly. He'll know that too, that's why Madrid want him badly.

If you can somehow get him then brilliant, because he's an amazing player who will be probably the best in the world within his time.

Where is there a lie in what I posted? It's from the Sky Sports website, and he's said Arsenal have been in contact with him/his people. It doesn't say anywhere that he's going to sign for us does it?

He probably will go to Real, but it would be nice to see him in England, but he's probably not physically strong enough to handle the pressure and added physical side the English game has over all the others.

Well no not a lie then, but shitty rumours. It doesn't matter if it is from SkySports, most of there stuff is still rumours. Like how Buffon is joining United or how Chelsea will get half the world or something, meh  :P

This is the Arsenal thread, so if I hear/see a rumour I'll generally post it. Yeah it's a quote from the News of the World, but it was on the Sky Sports website, so I thought there might be at least a little truth in the report.

Oh well.

I'm not having a go at you, like you said it's the Arsenal thread. GOD got knocked for posting a tonne of rumours like this too though, although then again you don't do it too much. Doesn't bother me in that sort of way, it just annoys me of how terrible some of these rumours really are.

Talking of rumours though, anyone want to inform me more about what's happening with Pires? He staying or going? :P

I've been quite annoyed by all of the papers printing that Pires is "surplus to requirements" at Arsenal. I think he had another good season and was the 3rd top goalscorer in the Premiership. There's nothing more on his situation than unsupported rumour, but I personally want to see him stay for at least another year.

I'm not having a go at you, like you said it's the Arsenal thread. GOD got knocked for posting a tonne of rumours like this too though, although then again you don't do it too much. Doesn't bother me in that sort of way, it just annoys me of how terrible some of these rumours really are.

Talking of rumours though, anyone want to inform me more about what's happening with Pires? He staying or going?  :P

Well, to be hones, GOD was bashed for just posting the rumours and not giving any opinions on them. :P

On the Pires thing, it all depends on how he does this coming season I think. He'll have to compete even more with van Persie/Reyes (whoever Wenger decided can play on the left) so he might not get as many games. I reckon he'll still be one of the best attacking midfielder in the country next year.

Problem with Pires is that Arsenal will only offer him a one year contract extension. And Pires wants more than that.

So I'm going out on a limb here and predict that Pires will end up somewhere else next season.

Also, Valencia has officially announced the capture of Edu.

Good for Edu, I think he'll flourish over there.

Back onto the Pires issue, I can understand the clubs policy of only offering players over 30 a one-year extension/contract, but at the same time you can understand the players frustration over it. I reckon he'll sign a new deal, and if not I think he'll go to Benfica.

I’m fairly confident to predict he’ll eventually sign a new deal.

The whole situation is similar to Ryan Giggs at United. A one-year extension was put on the table, he refused and his demands were later met. The same thing will happen as in the end both are good players and are loyal to the club, to lose them over something as stupid as the length of contract is foolish. You just don’t let the third top goalscorer in the premiership go for something so simple.

One rumour making the rounds is now that we are after Torres. It first came from The People paper so I didn't really believe it, but sources from Spain, including Atletico supporters are 100% convinced he is leaivng in the summer, he has said he wouldn't join another Spanish side because he says it would be wrong, also he said that Italian football wouldn't suit him, but English football would. He mentioned us and Liverpool because he knows Reyes, Alonso, Nunez etc.

Anyway, according to the sources in Spain, Arsenal asked how much Atletico would want for him and they said £27m which has scared us off, so maybe Pires could come into the deal then.

One more thing, Parma are playing Bologna in a Serie A relegation playoff match, if Parma were to lose, they have a few players we should try and get, Gilardino for sure, Frey, Cannavaro and Bonera all could be great signings.