Arsenal Thread

TMM

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen that Emmanuel guy, hope he is good.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is confident Belarus midfielder Alexander Hleb will be at Highbury next season.

"The transfer will be completed in the next few days. I think he can start packing his bags to come to us," Wenger told the Stuttgarter Nachrichten paper.

Wenger has reportedly already held an initial meeting with the 24-year-old after being granted permission from VfB Stuttgart to open transfer talks.

Stuttgart have agreed to sell after Arsenal increased their offer to £6m.

Wenger is a long-time admirer of the talented, two-footed midfielder and has wasted no time in negotiating a quick deal while in Germany commentating on the Confederations Cup for French television.

And he stepped up his interest as soon as new Stuttgart coach Giovanni Trapattoni made it clear Hleb could leave.

"It is fundamentally not a good idea to force a player to stay when they want to leave," Trappattoni told Bild magazine. "The team is far more important than one individual."

Hleb has scored 13 goals in 137 Bundesliga appearances for Stuttgart, and has won 10 senior caps for Belarus.

He has three years left on his deal with the Bundesliga club and recently his agent insisted both Arsenal and Chelsea were interested in signing the Belarus midfielder.

"Chelsea are also genuinely interested, however Arsenal have priority as Arsene Wenger has been dreaming of having Alexander in his team for two years now," said his representative Nikolai Spilevski.

source: bbc.co.uk/sport

Fuck yes if this is true. £6m is a bloody bargain!

Al Qaeda attack Arsenal in C4 film

By Luke Leitch Arts Reporter, Evening Standard

24 June 2005

An Al Qaeda attack in which more than 1,000 Arsenal and Chelsea fans are killed is to feature in a new film backed by Channel 4.

Incendiary - described as a satire - tells the story of a woman whose son and husband die when 11 suicide bombers target Arsenal's new £357 million Emirates Stadium.

It is based on a novel by first-time author Chris Cleave, in which rival fans fight and lynch each other after the attack. It later emerges that the Government and police allowed the attack to go ahead, despite a two-hour warning, to protect the identity of a mole within the terrorist cell.

The book, which goes on sale next month, is described by publisher Chatto & Windus as "a devastating satire of a Britain giving itself up to fear and self-interest".

Film Four bought the film rights with Archer Street Films, which made Girl With A Pearl Earring. It has hired Sharon Maguire (Hilary and Jackie, Bridget Jones' Diary) as director.

Arsenal, it is understood, were not consulted about the novel or the film, which includes as characters Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Gael Clichy, and Robin Van Persie.

Cleave writes of his protagonist - a self-confessed "chav" - watching the match on TV while having sex with a reporter when al Qaeda strikes.

Her policeman husband and son are at the match. When Van Persie hits a goal-bound shot, the novel says, "you could see the ball curling towards the goal tighter and tighter and then the whole East Stand burst in flames". Cleave adds: "All those fans that had been standing up to scream for the goal. Well. They were just gone."

After the blasts in the east stand of the stadium, 200 are killed instantly, 500 lose their lives in the crush to get out and 300 die from their injuries.

Neither Film Four nor Arsenal would comment on the Incendiary project. Chatto & Windus says it is "an impassioned response to the atrocities of the war in Iraq and the Madrid bombing".

WTF? :lol:

Edited by Gooner4Life

WENGER MAKES STRIKER BID

Arsenal have made a bid to sign Monaco's Emmanuel Adebayor and the striker admits it would be difficult to turn down a move to Highbury.

The Togolese forward had a good season with the Principality outfit last term, bagging nine goals in 34 games, and has experience of the UEFA Champions League.

Arsene Wenger is interested in raiding his former club in an attempt to land the lanky 21-year-old and pep up his attack.

"Considering what I know, Monaco received two firm transfer offers during the last weeks," Adebayor told France Football.

"One from Toulouse and a later one from Arsenal.

"For the moment, Monaco are not pursuing it. But I can tell you, it could change if I don't prolong my contract.

"You can't refuse a club like Arsenal.

"I think the two most tempting clubs to hire me are PSG and Arsenal.

"I like Paris and I like Marseille.

"Personally, I will do anything to find an agreement with Monaco.

"Monaco consider me to be an important player but they treat me as a young player from the academy."

French sources claim Arsenal are prepared to pay €8 million for the African attacker, who is determined to secure a wage hike.

Ok...who?

I've never heard of this guy before in my life...which means he could be good, especially if Wenger's looking at him. Although (again I say this) I'd prefer a more established player to be at the club.

Guest Leeleemu

Yeah i know its a loan, but what is the point in getting him in a year! You should have got him now whilst Parma were doing poor and you would have got him for cheaper!

WENGER MAKES STRIKER BID

Arsenal have made a bid to sign Monaco's Emmanuel Adebayor and the striker admits it would be difficult to turn down a move to Highbury.

The Togolese forward had a good season with the Principality outfit last term, bagging nine goals in 34 games, and has experience of the UEFA Champions League.

WENGER MAKES STRIKER BID

That's a good season? I guess we'll have to trust Wenger's judgement again, but if he does come to Highbury hopefully someone will point out we might be expecting a few more goals.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Bergkamp isn't a striker though, well not anymore, he's more of a creative forward. This guy is apparently a goal-scorer, I think the stats aren't very clear otherwise they wouldn't have said he had a successful term.

I'm definitely interested, it'd be nice for someone established, but Wenger is a great scout.

Gunnersaurus set to bowl ’em over

Gunnersaurus will be swapping sports on Sunday. He will be playing in a special mascots’ cricket match at the Ford County Ground, Chelmsford, ahead of the Twenty20 Cup tie between Essex Eagles v Sussex Sharks.

Gunnersaurus will be wielding the willow along with Elvis the Eel (Southend FC), Sid the Shark (Sussex CCC) and Eddie the Eagle from the home county. It is first time he has ever competed at another sport.

A limited number of ground tickets will be available on Sunday, please see www.essexcricket.org.uk for details.

:shifty:

That looks to be an interesting day doesn't it?

On the subject of Hleb, I'm thankful that this could be finalised soon.

I think this Robinho stuff could be a smoke screen if you like.

There have also been rumours of Baptista, Pat Rice was seen in Seville, Baptista isn't signing a new deal and Sevilla won't sell to another Spanish side. I might prefer Baptista over Robinho, as Baptista would offer us something different, Robinho would offer us what Reyes does really. Plus I am a little worried about his size.

But it looks as though Hleb is definatley on his way for £6m which is a fucking steal. I cannot wait to see who are 2nd signing will be.

I think this Robinho stuff could be a smoke screen if you like.

There have also been rumours of Baptista, Pat Rice was seen in Seville, Baptista isn't signing a new deal and Sevilla won't sell to another Spanish side. I might prefer Baptista over Robinho, as Baptista would offer us something different, Robinho would offer us what Reyes does really. Plus I am a little worried about his size.

But it looks as though Hleb is definatley on his way for £6m which is a fucking steal. I cannot wait to see who are 2nd signing will be.