The Outer Worlds

Ruki

I completed this yesterday. It's really fun and has a lot of heart, and Parvati in particular is just such a wonderful character. Tempted to start again now and just be evil as fuck.

Also, and I'm hoping just a characters name isn't a spoiler but, I named my own character Huxley, just cause I thought it seemed like a cool sci-fi Alien Ripley-esque name. Imagine my surprise later when I bumped in to some minor character with the name Huxley. 

Anyway, I loved it. If I had some gripes I think it'd be that it's not AS open world as I'd like in regards to some places being blocked off, and that it's not as long as I'd have maybe expected.

Also, regarding the... planets? Systems? I dunno if it's a spoiler or not about something not in the game but I'll spoiler it anyway.

Spoiler

The fact that there's some of the systems on the navigation that are blocked off the entire time, does that perhaps signify that there's going to be DLC that takes you to them? Seems surprising to have them on there but never allow you to them. I assumed at some point they'd all be unlocked at some point but some of them just never were.

So this is pretty open in that you can kill literally anyone, really.

Speaking of:

Spoiler

I killed the mayor of the first town after I stole his generator. He annoyed me. I hope I don't have to go back there... because they don't like me.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 13:55, Ruki said:

There are some mean fucking creatures on Monarch....

You’re telling me. I decided to land at the Cascadia Landing Pad and take the long way to Stellar Bay. How bad could it possibly be?

Answer: Very very bad I don’t recommend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finished the game tonight.

Spoiler

The ending of the game (well, my ending at least) was quite worth it. I really enjoyed the epilogue and all the results of the decisions that I made. The game dragged a bit in the middle - so I'll admit rushing through the last 3/4 or so of the game.

So I started the game, got done with the first town. Fallout and Borderlands were the obvious comparisons, the Mass Effect qualities I wasn't really aware of with the companions and abilities. There's something amusing about Parvati doing her hammer strike thing and then the both of us setting about the victim's prone body with her hammer and my electric beating stick. Been getting a bit of a Bioshock vibe as well, probably because I have been favouring melee and it's reminding me of smacking people with a wrench. Obviously you've got the vending machines too and maybe a bit of the aesthetics as well like bits of the UI.

First town spoilers:

It seemed a little too heavy handed and 'down with capitalism'. I think I was going to side with Tobson at first, partly because I felt like I was being railroaded against them and down to RP self interest. If you're fresh off the boat, so to speak, maybe best not to ruffle the feathers of this big corporation that's running everything?

But just how beholden everyone is to this company just doesn't sit right. Literally being worked to death, having to rent their own graves...which ties into the deserters as well. There were dialogue options to be really horrified that they were using corpses as compost but I don't think the other options are much better. Silas was talking about how marauders were coming and digging up graves and, maybe I've misinterpreted this, but if you're just renting your grave then what's to say they wont just turf you out anywhere in order to sell the plot to someone else?

That and they seemed to sabotage the geothermal plant for some reason leading to the robots killing everyone. I guess it's possible that Higgins did it because there were data logs about him messing about with the robots but the other logs pointed to the company doing it.

I do like the underlying weird vibes that come up whenever you mention the Hope. It'd be one thing if people just didn't remember or shrugged it off as an old legend that's decades old but it comes across like they're trying too hard to not know what you're talking about or will outright tell you not to ask too many questions. Giving off the impression of some underlying conspiracy going on or maybe they're just that scared of the company that they don't want people sniffing around by association when you start asking all these questions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Ellis said:

So I started the game, got done with the first town. Fallout and Borderlands were the obvious comparisons, the Mass Effect qualities I wasn't really aware of with the companions and abilities. There's something amusing about Parvati doing her hammer strike thing and then the both of us setting about the victim's prone body with her hammer and my electric beating stick. Been getting a bit of a Bioshock vibe as well, probably because I have been favouring melee and it's reminding me of smacking people with a wrench. Obviously you've got the vending machines too and maybe a bit of the aesthetics as well like bits of the UI.

First town spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

It seemed a little too heavy handed and 'down with capitalism'. I think I was going to side with Tobson at first, partly because I felt like I was being railroaded against them and down to RP self interest. If you're fresh off the boat, so to speak, maybe best not to ruffle the feathers of this big corporation that's running everything?

But just how beholden everyone is to this company just doesn't sit right. Literally being worked to death, having to rent their own graves...which ties into the deserters as well. There were dialogue options to be really horrified that they were using corpses as compost but I don't think the other options are much better. Silas was talking about how marauders were coming and digging up graves and, maybe I've misinterpreted this, but if you're just renting your grave then what's to say they wont just turf you out anywhere in order to sell the plot to someone else?

That and they seemed to sabotage the geothermal plant for some reason leading to the robots killing everyone. I guess it's possible that Higgins did it because there were data logs about him messing about with the robots but the other logs pointed to the company doing it.

I do like the underlying weird vibes that come up whenever you mention the Hope. It'd be one thing if people just didn't remember or shrugged it off as an old legend that's decades old but it comes across like they're trying too hard to not know what you're talking about or will outright tell you not to ask too many questions. Giving off the impression of some underlying conspiracy going on or maybe they're just that scared of the company that they don't want people sniffing around by association when you start asking all these questions.

Yeah the game is pretty heavy handed in general. Also makes it quite unappealing at times.

I think I'm nearing the end of the game? I'm level 25, just finished everything on Monarch...

Killing the Iconoclast leader and then doing the negotiations was fun!

@apsham, how much more do I have out of curiosity?

Also, I've learned that the best way to deal with enemies is my plasma LMG... just mows everything down. But it's not as satisfying as a stealthy headshot. 

23 minutes ago, Ruki said:

I think I'm nearing the end of the game? I'm level 25, just finished everything on Monarch...

Reveal hidden contents

@apsham, how much more do I have out of curiosity?

Also, I've learned that the best way to deal with enemies is my plasma LMG... just mows everything down. But it's not as satisfying as a stealthy headshot. 

I've just done this bit too. I'm also curious as to how much more there is.

20 hours ago, apsham said:

Hide contents

Yeah the game is pretty heavy handed in general. Also makes it quite unappealing at times.

Not a personal knock on you, just more adding to discussion - but I always found it interesting that games like the Outer Worlds that are very critical of capitalism were seen as heavy handed, but pro-gun/pro-Nationalistic sentiments are rarely seen as heavy handed. Like, no one would call Call of Duty heavy handed.