The Anime Thread

Ruki

It was fine when I was an impoverished university student and ADV were taking their sweet time releasing Volume 5 of Evangelion on DVD. I would watch any shit that my friend gave me on burnt CD-Rs to get my anime fix (though even then I drew the line at Urotsukidoji :angry:). I did try watching some of it again a couple of years ago...and man. Oh man.

But in subjective terms, the original Tenchi Muyo (The Ballad of Ryo-ohki) and Tenchi Universe were the better parts of the franchise. The films were pointless. Tenchi in Tokyo was diabolically bad. GXP was a laughably bad idea, considering how virtually everyone had forgotten Tenchi even existed by that stage.

Although I have just recalled that there was a 3rd part to the original Tenchi Muyo OAVs that they weirdly decided to create in 2003, nearly 10 years after the first two sets of OAVs. For some reason I remember thinking that they'd stolen plot ideas from Ranma 1/2, but I never actually watched it so don't remember why.

It is the white a Sekijin.

Itwas fine when I was an impoverished university student and ADV weretaking their sweet time releasing Volume 5 of Evangelion on DVD. Iwould watch any shit that my friend gave me on burnt CD-Rs to get myanime fix (though even then I drew the line at Urotsukidoji :angry:). I did try watching some of it again a couple of years ago...and man. Oh man.

Butin subjective terms, the original Tenchi Muyo (The Ballad of Ryo-ohki)and Tenchi Universe were the better parts of the franchise. The filmswere pointless. Tenchi in Tokyo was diabolically bad. GXP was alaughably bad idea, considering how virtually everyone had forgottenTenchi even existed by that stage.

Although I have just recalledthat there was a 3rd part to the original Tenchi Muyo OAVs that theyweirdly decided to create in 2003, nearly 10 years after the first twosets of OAVs. For some reason I remember thinking that they'd stolenplot ideas from Ranma 1/2, but I never actually watched it so don'tremember why.

I don't remember them stealing anything from Ranma 1/2 but I would highly recommend watching it since its basically where the big reveal of the series is and it's pretty good.

Anyhow, here are the connections to Tenchi Muyo that have been made so far. He has referred to several of the girls from Tenchi Muyo as his "sisters". Sister Washu in particular did all sorts of experiments on him. Tenchi seems to be spending most of his time on Jurai now.

Kenshi seems to have been summoned due to circumstance. It is very rare for people born in the world the series takes place in to be able to control Seikijin. The villains, are a paramilitary group aiming for world domination. To gain an advantage in the war they needed more Seikijin and people who pilot them. The main thing that holds them back is that the Seikijin and their pilots are very closely regulated by an international entity that maintains the balance of power in the world by closely regulating Seikijin, their pilots, and the number of each that each nation is allowed to have.

So to get around that, bad guys started summoning people from other universes to pilot the Seikijin because they are able to limit the ones they summon to just people who are able to pilot Sekijin

Most importantly though, the series is pretty entertaining.

Edited by Slide

I like the original Tenchi Muyo, but it's been nearly a decade since I've seen it. So.

Ditto. I have to say that I never really understood the plot while I was watching it though.

Yu Yu Hakusho. The name just popped into my head. I remember liking it, and I remember it getting very close to finishing before SBS cut it off. Was so disappointed. Anyone know of it, and has it held up well. Might look into reacquiring it.

I like the original Tenchi Muyo, but it's been nearly a decade since I've seen it. So.

Ditto. I have to say that I never really understood the plot while I was watching it though.

Yu Yu Hakusho. The name just popped into my head. I remember liking it, and I remember it getting very close to finishing before SBS cut it off. Was so disappointed. Anyone know of it, and has it held up well. Might look into reacquiring it.

Well the first thing you have to realize is that there are 2 Tenchi Continuities that have nothing to do with one another other than that they share some of the same characters, and even the characters and their backgrounds had major differences.

Tenchi Muyo! OVA series was made first, and is the original series. The primary creator of the series was Kajishima Masaki, his co-writer on the original OVA series was Hayashi Hiroki. In the OVA series, and in all of those shows that relate to it in continuity, Kajishima Masaki was the head writer.

After the commercial success of the OVA series the Anime Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, and the Movies where produced, but Kajishima Masaki's roles in those series was greatly diminished when Hayashi Hiroki took over as the lead writer and had become non-existent by the time the movies and Tenchi and Tokyo where made. The anime series made later by Hayashi Hiroki has no continuity with the OVA series.

This turn of events is the primary reason why the third part of the OVA series wasn't released until 2003.

There are many notable differences between the two continuities. One of the main differences is how much stronger the characters from the OVA series are. For example, Sasami would beat everybody from Dragon Ball Z. And I don't mean individually. I mean all of them at once. Not only that, but it really wouldn't matter how powered up they became, it would never be enough. Don't trust me? Watch the third part of the OVA series.

Another key difference is scope. While Tenchi Universe has everything within the confines of one universe, The OVA series actually spans multiple dimensions and multiple universes.

Now that your good and confused here is the quick rundown of what is considered to be part of the continuity of the OVA series.

Naturally, there is all 3 parts of the OVA series itself, Tenchi Muyo! GXP is in the same continuity as OVA series and within the same Universe. There are also several light novels that take place in the same Universe as the OVA series that take place several years later when...

Tench has become the king of Jurai

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is also part of the Tenchi Muyo continuity, although it takes place in a parallel universe.

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure is also related to the Tenchi Muyo OVA in so much that it takes place within the same multiverse and shares a few common links that aren't made clear until near the end of the series.

AHHHH, I need more school based comedy, I've seen School Rumble, Azumanga Daioh and Ouran High School Host club. All 3 are amazing, I need more. I just started watching Lovely Complex and while it seems to be pretty good, its not on par with the aforemention trifecta of amazement. Oh and I've seen Full Metal Panic all seasons. Which is sort of a school comedy :P. Oh and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya. I think thats all of them

Am I missing something? A crucial anime that is too funny to miss? Please say so. I need laughter and I need it by the ton.

To answer your question, Green Green is pretty funny. Enjoyable but the story to its sort of... uninspired. But hilarity does ensue from the onset.

As for the Tenchi Muyo talk, I took on a pass on it after the original series. To many different plots and the overlay and the senseless... yeah. Passed on it. I am behind on anime's though. Anything good out right now?

Well the first thing you have to realize is that there are 2 Tenchi Continuities that have nothing to do with one another other than that they share some of the same characters, and even the characters and their backgrounds had major differences.

Tenchi Muyo! OVA series was made first, and is the original series. The primary creator of the series was Kajishima Masaki, his co-writer on the original OVA series was Hayashi Hiroki. In the OVA series, and in all of those shows that relate to it in continuity, Kajishima Masaki was the head writer.

After the commercial success of the OVA series the Anime Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, and the Movies where produced, but Kajishima Masaki's roles in those series was greatly diminished when Hayashi Hiroki took over as the lead writer and had become non-existent by the time the movies and Tenchi and Tokyo where made. The anime series made later by Hayashi Hiroki has no continuity with the OVA series.

This turn of events is the primary reason why the third part of the OVA series wasn't released until 2003.

There are many notable differences between the two continuities. One of the main differences is how much stronger the characters from the OVA series are. For example, Sasami would beat everybody from Dragon Ball Z. And I don't mean individually. I mean all of them at once. Not only that, but it really wouldn't matter how powered up they became, it would never be enough. Don't trust me? Watch the third part of the OVA series.

Another key difference is scope. While Tenchi Universe has everything within the confines of one universe, The OVA series actually spans multiple dimensions and multiple universes.

Now that your good and confused here is the quick rundown of what is considered to be part of the continuity of the OVA series.

Naturally, there is all 3 parts of the OVA series itself, Tenchi Muyo! GXP is in the same continuity as OVA series and within the same Universe. There are also several light novels that take place in the same Universe as the OVA series that take place several years later when...

Tench has become the king of Jurai

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is also part of the Tenchi Muyo continuity, although it takes place in a parallel universe.

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure is also related to the Tenchi Muyo OVA in so much that it takes place within the same multiverse and shares a few common links that aren't made clear until near the end of the series.

I can't decide whether I'm impressed or terrified by someone writing this much about Tenchi Muyo in 2009.

For me, I thought it was really cool in 2000 but. That was 2000. I'm cool with not watching it again and leaving my memories of it positive.

I can't decide whether I'm impressed or terrified by someone writing this much about Tenchi Muyo in 2009.

For me, I thought it was really cool in 2000 but. That was 2000. I'm cool with not watching it again and leaving my memories of it positive.

This.

And, Yu Yu Hakusho? And also, Ergo Proxy. Borrowing it off a friend. Don't want to waste my time if it's not worth it.

I haven't watched the anime since it was pulled from Adult Swim, but I read the manga off and on when I see a new volume in the library, and I like it well enough. I really like Togashi's stuff in general, I've been meaning to get back into buying volumes of Hunter x Hunter for a while.

Well that's because there wasn't that much Tenchi Muyo in 2000.

I was re-introduced to the series about a year ago when I joined a friendly geeky debate forum with vs. matches different fictional characters.

At the same time I was also introduced to a whole range of other series that I knew every little about before, as well as several comic book characters. The way debate typically works out is when someone makes an unexpected claim they face of the burden of proof of backing up their claims which often results in posting scans, video, or verifiable source information or information taken directly from source information. In a heated debate these sorts of things can be taken very seriously.

The reason why it lead me into re-introducing myself to Tenchi Muyo! is because it is actually the most powerful Anime, in terms of what the characters are actually capable of, ever created. There are no less then 5 Tenchi Muyo characters that would be able to destroy Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Anti-Spiral at the same time, potentially six but that would require a very specific set of circumstances.

One good anime I learned about was Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, which is a Manga series that ran for over 20 years. JJBA is actually a six part series, but only the 2nd part was ever animated.

Speaking of JJBA, Dio Brando is probably one of the most bad ass vampires ever. For those who aren't yet prepared one of the best fights in anime happens over the course of the next 3 links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPaV-yRExw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGLluldmME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se46wfEy9l8

Conversation has pretty well fallen off there though because all of the really good original matches have already been discussed and most of the new threads are from newbies who make threads that have been done dozens of times in the past already.

- In match ups between DC and Marvel, while DC has the stronger Super Heroes, Marvel's cosmic characters are way powerful than DCs.

- Superman really does beat Goku in almost every circumstance, in fact you have to hand pick the weakest versions of superman for Goku to stand a chance.

- Captain America's Shield is durable enough that it has been used to stop punches of beings that are capable of shattering entire planets by punching them.

- Batman, if given sufficient amount of information and prep time, can beat just about anyone.

- It is actually very difficult to set up an even fight against the characters from Dragonball Z because they seem to straddle a middle ground where almost everyone you put them in a fight would either be strong enough to completely wipe out the Dragonball Z fighters, or those matched up would be so much weaker than the Dragonball Z fighters that they wouldn't really stand a chance.

- Boba Fett's ship, Slave I, has more firepower than any version of the Enterprise from Star Trek.

- The weapons in Star Wars all actually Kinetic energy shots. Because of this, every gun emplacement on a ship in Star Wars has to be built sturdy enough to receive the same amount of recoil that their weapons put out, or else it would rip the ship apart (this information comes from the A New Hope Novel). Therefore, since the kinetic energy hits the firer as much as the target, the Death Star must be built sturdy enough to tank an attack that would destroy a planet because otherwise the Death Star would have ripped itself apart when it fired.

- The weapons in Star Wars all actually Kinetic energy shots. Because of this, every gun emplacement on a ship in Star Wars has to be built sturdy enough to receive the same amount of recoil that their weapons put out, or else it would rip the ship apart (this information comes from the A New Hope Novel). Therefore, since the kinetic energy hits the firer as much as the target, the Death Star must be built sturdy enough to tank an attack that would destroy a planet because otherwise the Death Star would have ripped itself apart when it fired.

I know I am massively going in to my geekdom here but...

I have absolutely no idea where to start with the toss you have just posted except for this so I will only adress this. Everything uses kinetic enrgy. A normal gun with a normal bullet uses kinetic energy, doesn't mean that the gun falls apart or the user has to be able to withstand a bullet or recoil of equal force to a bullet does it? And before you go on about gun powder, etc... not being existant in the case of the Star Wars weapons, there has to initially be energy stored to use a weapon, its not like the kinetic energy magically appears to be used as ammo. All it means is that there will be some resistance and inertia leading to an amount of recoil. Also I am moving away and can say that they are not kinetic energy weapons in the strictest sense in that KE munitions actually have solid matter that is proppelled at a high velocity (Linky to wiki).

What I am getting at is you're talking quite a lot of rubbish mate

EDIT:

I talk rubbish as well, thanks SDM <_<

- Captain America's Shield is durable enough that it has been used to stop punches of beings that are capable of shattering entire planets by punching them.

It can't stop the horrible fist of racism.

- Boba Fett's ship, Slave I, has more firepower than any version of the Enterprise from Star Trek.

You obviously never saw the Enterprise SVI, which is the Enterprise except with the firepower of the Slave 1. Seriously though, I'm not even going to begin arguing with you how you might be wrong, you seem like one of those smug geek elitists who isn't going to change his opinion for anyone because you spend way too much time looking at the "scientific specifications" that make the Slave I stronger and the Enterprise weak, when all of it is fiction to begin with and you can't really put one universe against another since, I repeat, it's fiction.

- Batman, if given sufficient amount of information and prep time, can beat just about anyone.

Except testicular cancer.

:shifty:

Oh yeah, and back to anime, I plan on starting Gurren Lagann this weekend, and then onto more of Ruki's suggestions that he sent me on Facebook oh so long ago.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea where to start with the toss you have just posted except for this so I will only adress this. Everything uses kinetic enrgy. A normal gun with a normal bullet uses kinetic energy, doesn't mean that the gun falls apart or the user has to be able to withstand a bullet or recoil of equal force to a bullet does it?

While slide's point is utter bullshit as well, traditional ballistic weaponry is usually built specifically to reduce the distribution of kinetic energy back to the user in the way it disperses and angles the energy. In some weapons the action created by the explosion of propellent and it's effect on the weapon actually serves to operate as action on the next round, thus turning the spare energy of the weapon into operation of the weapon itself. So yes, a hangun is built to withstand the recoil, not equal to the energy required to fire a bullet, as that is where recoil and the additional muscle energy of the firearm user comes in, but it is built to withstand that amount of energy and not fall apart.

Slide's point seems to be that because a ship can withstand firing a weapon it can likewise withstand being hit by a weapon. This is completely illogical but it does give me the funny mental image of someone wearing a jacket made out of guns.

And before you go on about gun powder, etc... not being existant in the case of the Star Wars weapons, there has to initially be energy stored to use a weapon, its not like the kinetic energy magically appears to be used as ammo.

Right, there is; it's gaseous tibanna, which is what they mined at Bespin (the planet where Leia wore that long white dress and wore her hair down, and where Chewbacca's backpack was made of 3P0). However, I don't think kinetic energy means what you think it means. Kinetic energy can't really be stored, at least not over any measurable amount of time. What you're thinking of is chemical energy, which is the energy inside a chemical compound that is released when that compound break downs as part of a reaction. That is a form of potential energy. Kinetic energy is a form of mechanical energy if I recall correctly and thus isn't really the same thing at all. And technically energy isn't ammo, as ammunition is almost always composed of either a solid state in propellant weapons or a liquid or gas in other more exotic weapons, although rather than being called ammo it is usually refered to as fuel.

All it means is that there will be some resistance and inertia leading to an amount of recoil.

Not nesscessarily; it all depends on the action of the weapon. There are some incredibly large weapons that channel the excess energy of the propellant explosion into the reloading action and some that simply channel the energy to vents without causing any damage to the user of the weapon. Recoil to a degree is a certainty because there is no hundred percent way to channel that much excess energy but there are ways to differ it besides simply trying to absorb it as recoil. If you did that firing a gun would be just as fatal as being shot by one.

Also I am moving away and can say that they are not kinetic energy weapons in the strictest sense in that KE munitions actually have solid matter that is proppelled at a high velocity (Linky to wiki).

This is a pretty good point, but it's discounted by the fact that in the Special Edition of Star Wars there is a shot of the Death Star turbolaser guns firing during which you can clearly see action. Action from a gaseous laser weapon seems highly illogical given that the state of the beam itself is the energy rather than any propellent explosion, so there must be a kinetic component even if it only involves the expenditure of a solid state fuel container. While that does mean it's not purely a kinetic energy weapon, there is a distinct kinetic component.

This is an arguement though that can be discarded by the statement that the Special Editions of Star Wars were bullshit.

What I am getting at is you're talking quite a lot of rubbish mate

I talk rubbish as well, thanks SDM <_<

To be fair, your arguements weren't completely scientifically accurate, whereas his arguements were fundamentally fucking wrong.