Tell me about TV shows.

K

As always, I'm powering through TV shows faster than they're broadcast. Therefore I need something new. Somehow through wikiclicking I ended up on Weeds.

Without spoilering it for me, is it any good?

Yeah, that's basically what I think as well. The first couple of season were really good but I kind of lost interest during the third one. The supporting characters are what make the show and there are some phenomenal scenes. The scene with Doug and Dean in the toilet (no spoilers...) had me on the verge of crying with laughter.

Yeah, the first 2 seasons are the best and it's an actual comedy. The seasons since have gotten so overly dramatic and annoying. The only highlight is Kevin Nealon (alright and Mary Louise Parker's tits in the latest season) but it's not like that's something you shouldn't already know anyways.

PD peaked with its pilot then fell off rapidly after it. Within three or four episodes I stopped caring, kept watching for the rest of the abbreviated first season and didn't bother with the second. It's been canceled, so it's not really worth wasting the time watching as it wasn't spectacular in the first place

PD peaked with its pilot then fell off rapidly after it. Within three or four episodes I stopped caring, kept watching for the rest of the abbreviated first season and didn't bother with the second. It's been canceled, so it's not really worth wasting the time watching as it wasn't spectacular in the first place

Not really.

Pushing Daisies was pretty good the both seasons, I thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every episode. I think there may've been one I didn't care much for, but that's pretty much it.

Edited by Cloudy Ant

Basically, if you can stomach extreme quirkiness Pushing Daisies is worth watching. Probably not at a breakneck pace, but it's a funny show with a great primary cast (especially Chi McBride) that unfortunately suffers from the fact that Bryan Fuller didn't really bother with overarcing plotlines until the middle of the second season when it was entirely too late. Earlier on he was basically trying to do the weekly detective serial thing and it meant the episodes lived and died on how good the mystery was; usually they were good, but I can understand someone not having the desire to keep going back when it was like that.

My best advice would be to watch the pilot and then watch the next episode or two; if the formula still works for you, keep at it because it really starts paying off at the end. If not, that's understandable because it's really a niche show at its core. Personally, I enjoyed it more than anything that debuted in the season prior to this aside from I guess Chuck, though when Chuck is bad I notice it more than when PD had a bad episode.

It's really good. It's got the dad from Malcolm in the Middle but it's far more serious. It's a drama with a sense of humour, though. He plays a high school chemistry teacher who's diagnosed with cancer. He can't bring himself to tell his wife or handicapped son, so he tries to deal with it himself. He has financial issues and encounters a former student of his who's a small time meth cooker and decides he's going to become a drug dealer. He takes to it with scientific precision and a lot of the attraction of the show is this middle-aged, middle-class guy trying to make sense of the underworld. There's a healthy dose of him dealing with his illness and mortality as well.

Fucking awesome is what.

It's about a high school chemistry teacher who finds out that he's got cancer, so to try and make some more money for his family before he dies, he sets up a meth lab. One of his former students deals for him while he actually makes the meth, and he's hiding this from all his friends and family (obviously). It's a really fucking good show.

EDIT: or what the Judge said there.

Edited by Cloudy Ant

Yeah I'd suggest Breaking Bad as well. It's been getting really good with the past couple of episodes but since it's only the beginning of the second season you wouldn't have to spend too much time catching up.

Another show that I'd highly suggest if you want a darker drama type with some comedy is Dexter. Fantastic show all around.

Cool, cheers guys. I've finished Season 3 of Dexter. Queued up I've got Season 4 of Lost, Season 1 of Breaking Bad, Seasons 1 - 4 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I'll look into arrested Development as well, thanks very much.

While a thread like this is open, what's Supernatural like? Also, could people recommend me some Supernatural/Sci-Fi/Drama TV shows, please? I really dug Heroes, Buffy, The Fixer and I'm nearly done with Firefly. I've got Bones and (hopefully) Angel to watch too.

Supernatural is awesome. It's got a light tone a lot of the time, but I'd say it's more mature than Buffy or Angel. I powered my way through Season 1 twice in the last three months. If you're at all into the macabre or, no pun intended, supernatural... then the series is something I'd highly recommend.

It doesn't hurt that Padalecki and Ackles play genuinely likeable characters, or that the soundtrack is a veritable who's who of classic rock.