EWB Play-Along: Pokémon FireRed

probablyoliver

Hitmonlee is superior to Hitmonchan in every stat except Defense. It doesn't have the most diverse movepool, but Hitmonchan can't make use of several of its unique moves, and they both have the same egg move pool. Hitmonlee's ability - Limber - is also of more use than Hitmonchan's - Keen Eye.

Hitmonlee is superior to Hitmonchan in general when it comes to attacking ability in Advance. As Mongrel said, though, Hitmonchan looks better. So that's what it came down to for Slogger.

Edited by DoubleX

Okay, since I didn't have 10 entires in my PokeDex, I was unable to acquire the Flash HM from Oak's Aide, so I was forced to brave the Rock Tunnel blind instead. I'm kind of glad, since Flash is useless outside of this small section. I was pissed, however, when I got half way through and my computer froze. I'm finally out of the jungle now, and ready to go from Lavender Town after healing up. Here's how things look right now...

Current Team

Primeape (Level 30)

Graveler (Level 26)

Charmander (Level 28)

Pikachu (Level 27)

Roll(ing Kick) on?

:shifty:

heh

Lets Rollout?

:shifty:

So after some debate with Plubby, He convinced me to take my backup save and get Hitmonchan, Lucky I don't have to go far to get back to where I was.

I'm in the ghost tower now aaaaaaand IT'S TIME FOR RIVAL BATTLE TIME....

.... AND IT IS ALLLLLLL OVER! (Sorry, SOMEONE <_< has been using UFC terms to describe his Mankey)

Might head west now.

Okay, so I'm in Celadon City now, fucking around with the slot machines. Anybody got any advice? I've currently got just over 300 coins, so I can afford to exchange them for an Abra... but, I'd love to get my hands on Dratini at this point. How the fuck do you win? I only really win small prizes, which usually just gives me my money back with no profit. I've tried sitting in the seat behind the man that talks about 'keeping an eye on the reels' or whatever, as it's rumoured to be the best payout, but I've really not had much so far.

Current Team

Pikachu (Level 29)

Charmander (Level 29)

Graveler (Level 29)

Primeape (Level 30)

I'm way behind you guys, and going slowly, but I just went through Mt. Moon. I took a stab at Misty, got destroyed, so I'm going to go meet Bill before I try again. I'm up to 22 pokemon, but I realized after it was too late that I forgot Pikachu, so I'll have to grab him later. Right now, my team is:

Lv. 8 Paras

Lv. 13 Spearow

Lv. 13 Mankey

Lv. 14 Nidoran F

Lv. 15 Geodude

Lv. 15 Bulbasaur

Hopefully I can evolve Bulbasaur on the way to Bill, and beat Misty when I get back.

I found this game to be a fair drag early on, but as soon as you hit/clear Nugget Bridge and Misty, the interest level really picked up. Like, I found it a bit of a 'chore' to be bothered to play through the game during the early parts, but now it's pretty exciting. Is that how everyone else is finding it?

I found this game to be a fair drag early on, but as soon as you hit/clear Nugget Bridge and Misty, the interest level really picked up. Like, I found it a bit of a 'chore' to be bothered to play through the game during the early parts, but now it's pretty exciting. Is that how everyone else is finding it?

I honestly feel the total opposite, the earlier parts of the game were always more enjoyable to me. As it goes on and the list of Pokemon avaliable to you becomes larger, it feels a bit less personal as you start to realise that for every Pidgey you raised from level 3 to level 45, evolved twice and did whatever was possible to make it the ultimate killing machine, there's always a Zapdos that can not only easily replace it, but can also wreck anyone's shit 10 times better and is already maxed out to shit when you get it.

I always start to lose interest after doing the bit in Saffron with Team Rocket, which is what's happened now. I usually struggle on just so I can catch an Electabuzz (Because they're just frickin' awesome for some reason). I also found it very silly that you get Fly before Surf.

Beat Erika and Ghost Tower and picked up a few new pokemon on the way.

Doudo (lv26)

Nidorino (lv31)

Snorlax (lv30)

Eevee (lv25)

Picked up Farfetch'd from my box and made him my Fly and Cut slave.

and my Wartortle evolved :D

2uhxpn7.jpg

• Like 1

Just got my 6th Badge from Sabrina and I'm now on my way to Cinnabar Island. My team is like this

Venusaur lv 41

Vaporeon lv 43

Raichu lv 42

Pidgeot lv 41

Dugtrio lv 30

Dratini lv 25

Vaporeon is an absolute lifesaver, with Surf and Bite, he demolished the last 2 gyms and seeing as the next one is a fire gym, he'll be doing the same. I'm happy with my team having evolved Pikachu the moment he hit lv 41. I'm going to have to do some serious training with Dugtrio and Dratini when I hit Victory Road though, but when they all hit lv 60, I think they'll be enough to go the rest of the game.

I should've started this sooner with me playing both FR and LG if only to test out the VBA stuff (and my own boredom), but yes, I am on the starting block. Basically while (actual life) falls into place, I will play and get better and all that jizz. (Also, I did fix up the VBA to where the game would actually goddamn save (and also found out that GBA Madden 07 had "Revelations" on the soundtrack somehow, cute).

Anyways, I will be fair to you all. I will show off my Leaf Green team (Leaf Green's the only one that's saving for me):

And I will start with CHARMANDER just to be difficult and awesome.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, in fact, my team of L. 5 Rattata, L. 10 Butterfree, and L. 13 Charmander pretty much suck and get drilled by Rock Tomb every time. MORE TRAINING.

Edited by ROC

Got a little further since I posted yesterday, and finally allowed my Pokemon to evolve. I've skipped from Lavender Town straight down to Fuschia City, because I can't be fucked going through Saffron yet.

Current Team

Vaporeon (level 31)

Snorlax (level 30)

Primeape (level 33)

Graveler (level 34)

Raichu (level 37)

Charizard (level 36)

I'm considering ditching Snorlax when something better comes up. I only caught him because it was stupid not to. He was pretty much a sitting duck and I know how hard he is to catch usually, so I made the decision to pick him up, at least temporarily. I may get rid of Vaporeon when I get around to Saffron Cty and Lapras, though I'm not too sure I can be arsed leveling him up when I get him. Plus, Vaporeon knows Water Pulse now, and it kicks ass owning everybody with it. Every one of my team knows one or two moves that are OHKO's. Cool beans.

I should've started this sooner with me playing both FR and LG if only to test out the VBA stuff (and my own boredom), but yes, I am on the starting block. Basically while (actual life) falls into place, I will play and get better and all that jizz. (Also, I did fix up the VBA to where the game would actually goddamn save (and also found out that GBA Madden 07 had "Revelations" on the soundtrack somehow, cute).

Anyways, I will be fair to you all. I will show off my Leaf Green team (Leaf Green's the only one that's saving for me):

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, in fact, my team of L. 5 Rattata, L. 10 Butterfree, and L. 13 Charmander pretty much suck and get drilled by Rock Tomb every time. MORE TRAINING.

Training montage ahoy?

DRAGOOOOOOOO! BROOOOOOOOOOOCK!

• Like 1

Training montage ahoy?

DRAGOOOOOOOO! BROOOOOOOOOOOCK!

Yeah, basically. I forgot very quickly that starting with Charmander basically means a lot of goddamn level grinding for a while to make sure your team even stays alive in battle. Thankfully, I'm playing at 2x speed, which is the only thing I've done to the game, not to mention, it speeds up the pace of the battles considerably for the better.