EWB's Top 50 Favourite Games of the 90's - RESULTS THREAD

Darnez FC Forever

Yes, it is FINALLY here, EWB's Top 50 favourite games of the 90's! More than 50 games appeared on multiple ballots, and 1 EWB member's entire ballot ended up making the final list! Now that's an accomplishment! (SPOILER: It wasn't my ballot)

Now, before we get started with the first 10 games, here are some games that just missed making the final list.

Just missed the list
- NBA Live 95
- Mortal Kombat
- Super Smash Bros.
- Theme Hospital
- and many more!

And now, the first 10 games!

img_22724_wwf-attitude-n64-match-60-the-

WWF Attitude (PS1/N64) (22 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

5022_large.jpg

Killer-Instinct-SNES-Gameplay-Screenshot

27641-donkey-kong-country-2-diddy-s-kong

300360-ken-griffey-jr-presents-major-lea

Sim City 2000 (PC), Killer Instinct (SNES/Arcade), Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES) & Ken Griffey, Jr. Presents Major League Baseball(SNES) (24 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

Brian-Lara-Cricket-PSX-PAL.jpg

1084009-sonic_the_hedgehog_2.jpg

Brian Lara Cricket (PS1) & Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis/Megadrive) (26 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

marioparty_n641.jpg

Mario Party (N64) (28 Points, appeared on 2 ballots)

Theme-Park(1).jpg

doomreplay.jpg

Kuma_versus_Kazuya_Mishima_(Tekken_2).jp

Theme Park (PC), DOOM (PC) & Tekken 2 (PS1) (30 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

COMING UP NEXT: Mushrooms, demons and lots of balls

HERE COMES THE PAIN NONSENSE!

0.jpg

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES) (34 points, appeared on 2 ballots. 1 1st place vote)

Crash-Bandicoot-screen-2.jpg

250px-Kirby_Super_Star_Coverart.png

Crash Bandicoot (PS1) & Kirby Super Star (SNES) (36 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

banjo-kazooie_01.jpg

Banjo-Kazooie (N64) (39 Points, appeared on 3 ballots)

red_alert_fighting.jpg

tumblr_lz18waPBLM1qft94fo1_400.png

Command & Conquer: Red Alert (PC) & Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Gameboy) (42 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

super_mario_kart-155809-1.jpeg

Super Mario Kart (SNES) (46 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

diablo_gameplay_medium.jpg

Diablo (PC) (50 points, appeared on 2 ballots)

27064-super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) (54 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

streets-of-rage-2-axel-rain-streets.jpg

Streets of Rage 2 (56 points, appeared on 2 ballots. 1 1st place vote)

COMING UP NEXT: No more ties! YAY

That picture very accurately reflects the batshit insanity that is Mario RPG. It's worth noting that the next line is "Tastes salty!" and for whatever reason the game never shows Princess Toadstool's shoes and seems to make a point of it.

It's possible this scene ends with you getting kissed by Bowser before fighting a wedding cake.

• Like 1

That picture very accurately reflects the batshit insanity that is Mario RPG. It's worth noting that the next line is "Tastes salty!" and for whatever reason the game never shows Princess Toadstool's shoes and seems to make a point of it.

It's possible this scene ends with you getting kissed by Bowser before fighting a wedding cake.

Yeah, I replayed Super Mario RPG recently. All of the Mario RPG type games are suitably bonkers, but most of them seem a lot more self-aware of it than the first one. Super Mario RPG is positively deranged, and unapologetically so.

I really need to play Super Mario RPG at some point - i've loved all the other Mario RPG's i've played, and by the sounds of it I'd love Super Mario RPG as well.

ANYWAY MORE RESULTZ

civ2.jpeg

Civilisation 2 (PC) (63 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

30334-final-fantasy-tactics-playstation-

Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1) (72 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

tumblr_mckvjpDobu1ri1rp6o1_500.jpg

Grand Theft Auto (PS1) (78 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

warcraft2-6.gif

Warcraft 2 (PC) (81 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

Starcraft1s.jpg

Starcraft (PC) (90 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

screen3.jpg

Duke Nukem 3D (PC/N64) (95 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

secretmonkey.jpg

The Secret of Monkey Island (PC) (96 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

mario3.jpg

Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES/SNES) (108 points, appeared on 3 ballots. 1 1st place vote)

5.jpg

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) (114 points, appeared on 3 ballots)

claudio2.jpg

FIFA 98: Road to World Cup (124 points, appeared on 4 ballots)

COMING UP NEXT: Another crazy list of games!

I think nearly everything I voted for has shown up now. I am marginally disappointed by this but also excited that nearly everything I voted for made it. Particularly Kirby Super Star, I was expecting that to slip through the cracks.

I missed Streets Of Rage 2 being up there. Great game. One of the best.

Awesome last group too; Civ2 has eaten years of my life, Starcraft is my favourite RTS of all time, Monkey Island one of my top four or five games ever, Super Mario Bros 3 is obviously a classic, and Duke Nukem was great fun at the time. I've never played Fifa '98, as far as I can remember, so can't comment there, and I can't stand Final Fantasy VIII, so that's the only downside.

I never got into the Civ series until Civ IV, and to be honest it's usually a lot harder to go backward in that sort of series than forward.

Mario 3 is probably the best NES game ever, no idea why it wasn't on my list other than the fact that I associate the NES closely with the 80's.

Duke 3D is of course great. I think it's unfortunate that the reputation of Duke (which played out when Duke Forever finally came out) is tits and crude humor, since the best part of the game to me was always the fact that it created such an interesting world. The shareware first episode in particular was ahead of its time, with its interactive movie theaters and building demolition, not to mention the JETPACK. So good.

And I bet you guys don't know this about me but I'm kind of into Final Fantasy Tactics.

Oh and WARCRAFT 2. Were Age of Empires not a thing then it'd be my favorite RTS ever. WHATCHOOWANNAKILL!?

MarioAllStars.jpgSuper Mario All-Stars (SNES) (140 points, appeared on 4 ballots) 18. Final_Fantasy_VI_Final_Kefka.pngFinal Fantasy VI (SNES) (144 points, appeared on 4 ballots) 17. 1.jpgRollercoaster Tycoon (PC) (145 points, appeared on 5 ballots) 16. Age_of_Empires_II_-_The_Age_of_Kings_CovAge of Empires 2: The Age of Kings (PC) (152 points, appeared on 4 ballots) 15. pokemon-snap1.jpgPokemon Snap (N64) (170 points, appeared on 5 ballots) 14. Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-to-the-Past-gamepLegend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) (228 points, appeared on 4 ballots. 2 1st place votes) 13. donkey_kong_country.jpegDonkey Kong Country (SNES) (306 points, appeared on 6 ballots) 12. Foto%2BChrono%2BTrigger.jpgChrono Trigger (SNES) (320 points, appeared on 5 ballots) 11. Metal-gear-solid-dialogue1.jpgMetal Gear Solid (PS1) (378 points, appeared on 6 ballots) 10. mario-64.jpgSuper Mario 64 (N64) (399 points, appeared on 7 ballots)

COMING UP NEXT: 9 to 5, only way to make a livin'.

I remember wasting so much time playing AoE 2. For some reason our school computers had it, and any time I finished my work early I'd fire that up and fail miserably - but have great fun doing so!

• Like 1

tumblr_m52qq01Fy81r5u6q4o1_500.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis/Megadrive) (416 points, appeared on 8 ballots)

WWF%20WrestleMania%202000_Dec23%2022_35_

WWF WrestleMania 2000 (N64) (528 points, appeared on 8 ballots)

mariobulletbill.jpg?width=650

Super Mario World (SNES) (552 points, appeared on 8 ballots. 1 1st place vote)

246969-mario-kart-64-nintendo-64-screens<br />

Mario Kart 64 (N64) (592 points, appeared on 8 ballots)

wcw-vs-nwo-revenge-nintendo-64-n64-001.j

WCW vs nWo Revenge (PS1/N64) (612 points, appeared on 9 ballots)

COMING UP NEXT: THIS IS THE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEND