The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

You may not have known Luke Cage was in the show before watching it, but I don't think anyone should have to spoiler his name in the thread. I think my broad-strokes comments about enjoying redacted's arc and redacted, and highlighted in the trailer, were common knowledge pieces of the show going into it.

If someone backs Josh's concerns, I'll spoil everything I've said/am saying, but it's striking me as a bit much

Edited by I Don't Mind

I mean, if it's in the trailer I guess that's fair. But I never would have known about her specifically and it was a cool surprise. I knew the basic concept of the core heroes coming together, since that was intentionally publicized for a long, long time. That and that Sigourney Weaver was the big bad.

I think some of ya'll are way too invested in these shows or... I don't even know, just mad at the world. I had no problem with The Defenders, besides there not being enough Jessica Jones. At times, it felt like Iron First S1.5 and Daredevil S2.5, which mildly annoyed me because I just don't give a fuck about Daredevil at all.

I still find it weird that people in these shows are constantly calling Daredevil, "The Devil from Hell's Kitchen" instead of, y'know, just Daredevil.

For the people bitching about The Hand:

Spoiler

It's not over - The Hand is to Netflix's Marvel Universe what SHIELD/HYDRA is to the MCU. They're going to milk it for all it's worth because "shadow organizations" are the bread and butter for comic books. Will you get Bullseye in S3 of Daredevil? Yeah, probably. But if Daredevil made it out of that building's basement, then it leaves open the possibility that Elektra and Madame Gao did too. Iron Fist is basically attached at the hip to The Hand, so they'll likely explore that some more in S2. I don't know about Jessica Jones and Luke Cage S2 villains... but they really need to just do this: Daredevil S3, Jessica Jones S2, Heroes For Hire (Cage/Fist), Punisher S1 and some new show.

To @Benjamin (future S3 spoilers for Daredevil? I don't know - maybe)

Spoiler

The ending wasn't them going for a "Christian" K'un Lun. For one thing, Murdock is Catholic. But it's a send-up to the classic "Born Again" storyline. It's not a monastery, there won't be any dragons there... it's just a church. Where he'll likely spend an episode or two healing from the Battle For NY and learning that Maggie the Nun is actually his mother. And then you bring in Bullseye and Kingpin, Maggie is a goner, and boom - Season 3 of Daredevil.

Also, the most interesting/best fight scene was

Spoiler

hands down the boardroom fight at Midland Circle, where it starts out with just Danny, then Luke appears, and Matt and Jessica join in towards the end. When the self-titled Run the Jewels song starts playing when it's just Danny & Luke.... fuck yeah, big smile on my face.

Honorable mention to the last fight scene of the series, when everyone is fighting all the henchmen and "Protect Ya Neck" by Wu-Tang plays and the Spider-Man line is very clearly audible.

Edited by tristy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tristy said:

I think some of ya'll are way too invested in these shows or... I don't even know, just mad at the world. I had no problem with The Defenders, besides there not being enough Jessica Jones. At times, it felt like Iron First S1.5 and Daredevil S2.5, which mildly annoyed me because I just don't give a fuck about Daredevil at all.

I still find it weird that people in these shows are constantly calling Daredevil, "The Devil from Hell's Kitchen" instead of, y'know, just Daredevil.

For the people bitching about The Hand:

Hide contents

It's not over - The Hand is to Netflix's Marvel Universe what SHIELD/HYDRA is to the MCU. They're going to milk it for all it's worth because "shadow organizations" are the bread and butter for comic books. Will you get Bullseye in S3 of Daredevil? Yeah, probably. But if Daredevil made it out of that building's basement, then it leaves open the possibility that Elektra and Madame Gao did too. Iron Fist is basically attached at the hip to The Hand, so they'll likely explore that some more in S2. I don't know about Jessica Jones and Luke Cage S2 villains... but they really need to just do this: Daredevil S3, Jessica Jones S2, Heroes For Hire (Cage/Fist), Punisher S1 and some new show.

To @Benjamin (future S3 spoilers for Daredevil? I don't know - maybe)

Hide contents

The ending wasn't them going for a "Christian" K'un Lun. For one thing, Murdock is Catholic. But it's a send-up to the classic "Born Again" storyline. It's not a monastery, there won't be any dragons there... it's just a church. Where he'll likely spend an episode or two healing from the Battle For NY and learning that Maggie the Nun is actually his mother. And then you bring in Bullseye and Kingpin, Maggie is a goner, and boom - Season 3 of Daredevil.

Also, the most interesting/best fight scene was

Hide contents

hands down the boardroom fight at Midland Circle, where it starts out with just Danny, then Luke appears, and Matt and Jessica join in towards the end. When the self-titled Run the Jewels song starts playing when it's just Danny & Luke.... fuck yeah, big smile on my face.

Honorable mention to the last fight scene of the series, when everyone is fighting all the henchmen and "Protect Ya Neck" by Wu-Tang plays and the Spider-Man line is very clearly audible.

Spoiler

I totally understand that the Hand is a really integral part of the Defenders universe, but I find it hard to give a damn about it when it is not even interesting in the least to me. Everything about it screams stereotypical bullshit about Eastern culture, because all white people think Asians do is meditate and practice kung fu. It doesn't help that like half the people that are a part of the Hand and K'un Lun and have received training from the Hand are white. The only Asian person in the Defender series that wasn't a stereotype was Colleen, and I was actually happy with how she was treated in the series. Gao is the mystical old Asian lady and the Japanese guy is the fucking Japanese guy, his name wasn't even spoken after the first one or two times. I bet nobody knows what his name is without googling it.

Also I had no idea Mary was a name of significance, but that's interesting. I hope you're right and there's no mystical crap happening.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I liked the show, but...

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah, I think the lack of character development is the crux of why this was more good than great. They were going more for "Look at all of them finally together!" than compelling emotional depth. Still a fun watch, but it could have been better.

I can't remember who was talking about the ending, but if you remember all the way back to daredevil season one, Matt went to live at the Catholic orphanage when he was blinded, and after his dad died. It's where he met stick. The nuns brushed off a comment about his mother, but yeah in the comics she's a sister there.

Spoilers for the end of The Defenders I guess

Read an interview with Charlie Cox and he said they are adapting the Born Again storyline from the comic for S3

Also, Finn Jones has said he's started training for S2 of Iron Fist, which I think he said is to start shooting in 5-6 months.  Thats a good sign.  One of the problems with S1 was he apparently had almost no time to train and was even learning some of the fight choreography 15 minutes before shooting a scene

First look at Misty Knight for S2 of Luke Cage

6Q8qN3j.jpg

• Like 3

so in the comics, stark made that arm, right? the tv series tend to avoid direct connections to the movies like that, outside of references to the incident. reckon it's just gonna be danny rands firm that organises it?

3 hours ago, K said:
  Hide contents

so in the comics, stark made that arm, right? the tv series tend to avoid direct connections to the movies like that, outside of references to the incident. reckon it's just gonna be danny rands firm that organises it?

Spoiler

They have name dropped Hammer Industries a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if they go that route.