NCAA Football 2014 Thread

I wish Alabama would fire Saban and bring in Muschamp. But that ain't happenin'......

*edit* Watching ESPN right now, and they're saying Brady Hoke may get canned tomorrow. Michigan went 5-7 this year, and his record there is 31-20. I'll be surprised if he isn't fired.

Edited by GhostMachine

I still think Michigan screwed up in getting rid of RichRod ... yeah, I said it.

I don't know that either of Pelini or Muschamp would go, but A&M would be down right freaking stupid to not make a play for both of them.

As for the situation at UAB (which is just one more reason to HATE THE HELL out of Bama): http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964218/hundreds-students-rally-save-uab-football They are going to fight it, but I feel the situation is already settled and the 'paperwork' is being sorted. Absolute bullshit ... seriously. Take the time to search and check what the Bama BOR has done to UAB. This kind of crap cannot continue.

And right off the heels of my talk about the ACC: http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/77864/fact-acc-delivers-message-to-sec PROOF ! Thank you Andrea ! AND IVAN: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964070/the-sec-no-longer-claim-best-conference-college-football

Does it all boil down to simply Bama not wanting a competent UAB program out of worry some great talent will go there instead? Or is to just funnel more money into Tuscaloosa? I'd like this story to get more press to show how corrupt a lot of college athletics is, yet again, and hopefully lead to reforms. First program since Pacific to shut down in the FBS, which was 20 years ago. That's mildly surprising given the cost of running a losing program. But UAB was turning the corner as a program and was definitely in fertile grounds to compete as a mid-major.

RichRod never had a shot at Michigan, though I agree they should have given him more time. He's a great coach, but was set up for failure there. As soon as the Michigan folks felt they had a shot at Harbaugh or Miles they went for it, it blew up in their face, and here they are. Hoke won with RichRod's players, RichRod lost with Lloyd Carr's players. That really sums up a lot. Hoke hasn't been fired yet, but we know it's coming. Probably later today.

Does it all boil down to simply Bama not wanting a competent UAB program out of worry some great talent will go there instead? Or is to just funnel more money into Tuscaloosa? I'd like this story to get more press to show how corrupt a lot of college athletics is, yet again, and hopefully lead to reforms. First program since Pacific to shut down in the FBS, which was 20 years ago. That's mildly surprising given the cost of running a losing program. But UAB was turning the corner as a program and was definitely in fertile grounds to compete as a mid-major.

RichRod never had a shot at Michigan, though I agree they should have given him more time. He's a great coach, but was set up for failure there. As soon as the Michigan folks felt they had a shot at Harbaugh or Miles they went for it, it blew up in their face, and here they are. Hoke won with RichRod's players, RichRod lost with Lloyd Carr's players. That really sums up a lot. Hoke hasn't been fired yet, but we know it's coming. Probably later today.

- It's 1950's politics and the 'good ol boy' system that the SWC disbanded over. We had it here in Texas for quite a while but we grew up and out of it because it would have killed a few of the programs (and helped to do that to one actually). Yeah money is involved but it is a secondary issue here. It's more about "we have the balls here" as opposed to say the Texas University system schools that (in this regard) are completely autonomous. UTEP isn't losing football because some guy in burnt orange in Austin says so. A&M Kingsville isn't losing football because somewhere in College Station they don't thin it makes sense.

- Bingo. Imagine if RichRod would have gotten to utilize Denard Robinson ?

Georgia Southern got denied their appeal to play in a bowl game because of an archaic preventing schools in their first season in the FBS from playing in one. Yes folks, if you accomplish the impossible task of being good enough in the FBS in your first season you're awarded by being bowl ineligible.

Ok, taking a look and holy hell could this next weekend make for a hell of a round table with the committee.

Let's just say that Mizzou, Arizona, and Wisconsin win ... along with FSU, TCU, and Baylor. Then we'd be left with:

Undefeated ACC Champion FSU (ranked 4th currently)

1 loss TCU (ranked 3rd currently)

1 loss Big 12 Champion Baylor (ranked 6th currently)

2 loss Pac 12 Champion Arizona (ranked 7th currently)

2 loss Oregon (ranked 2nd currently)

2 loss Big 10 Champion Wisconsin (ranked 13 currently)

2 loss Ohio State (ranked 5th currently)

2 loss SEC Champion Mizzou (ranked 16th currently)

2 loss Alabama (ranked 1st currently)

NOW WHAT COMMITTEE ? Do you go with head to head and only take one of Baylor/TCU or do you take them both and use head to head AND conference title ? Or do you bend everything you've said based on which one of the two you take ?

What about that last playoff spot ? Do you screw an undefeated FSU team ? Which champion gets in Mizzou/Wisconsin/Arizona ? Do you hose them all and still take either Oregon and Bama with, in all honesty, no real justification given who would be left standing ?

Even better, what if GT wins and joins that 2 loss Power 5 champion list and FSU has one loss ? Do you screw FSU completely ?

Or maybe KState beats Baylor ... then what ?

This is going to be one hell of a weekend ...

Ok, taking a look and holy hell could this next weekend make for a hell of a round table with the committee.

Let's just say that Mizzou, Arizona, and Wisconsin win ... along with FSU, TCU, and Baylor. Then we'd be left with:

Undefeated ACC Champion FSU (ranked 4th currently)

1 loss TCU (ranked 3rd currently)

1 loss Big 12 Champion Baylor (ranked 6th currently)

2 loss Pac 12 Champion Arizona (ranked 7th currently)

2 loss Oregon (ranked 2nd currently)

2 loss Big 10 Champion Wisconsin (ranked 13 currently)

2 loss Ohio State (ranked 5th currently)

2 loss SEC Champion Mizzou (ranked 16th currently)

2 loss Alabama (ranked 1st currently)

NOW WHAT COMMITTEE ? Do you go with head to head and only take one of Baylor/TCU or do you take them both and use head to head AND conference title ? Or do you bend everything you've said based on which one of the two you take ?

What about that last playoff spot ? Do you screw an undefeated FSU team ? Which champion gets in Mizzou/Wisconsin/Arizona ? Do you hose them all and still take either Oregon and Bama with, in all honesty, no real justification given who would be left standing ?

Even better, what if GT wins and joins that 2 loss Power 5 champion list and FSU has one loss ? Do you screw FSU completely ?

Or maybe KState beats Baylor ... then what ?

This is going to be one hell of a weekend ...

I don't think an X-2 Georgia Tech vaults an X-1 Florida State. Just to cover that eventuality.

Yeah only Alabama or Miss State is getting in from the SEC. Alabama would have a road loss and a neutral-site loss, while Miss State would have 2 road losses. Right now SEC champ, Pac champ, Big 12 "champ", and ACC champ belong in if everything shakes out right. But if 2-loss conference champs start showing up and a lot of teams lose this weekend things get crazy. Obviously if any of the top 4 lose and Ohio State wins then they're in. But as HTTK said, if a couple start losing and we have a deluge of 2-loss teams things become an outright mess.

Nebraska hired Mike Riley from Oregon State as their new head coach. I know he's proven and everything but I'm just dumbfounded that this was their big hire, it's Nebraska it's not like people are running away from that job. Well maybe they are since they fired the second-winningest coach of the last 7 years.

Mike Riley is an amazing fucking coach, and you'd have to understand where Oregon St. was as a program before he got there. They went from one of the worst teams in the nation, year in and year out for decades, to respectability, and, under Dennis Erickson (with Riley's players),11-1 and #4 in the nation.

It's an outstanding hire, and it will be interesting to see what Riley can do at a school that actually cares about winning football games. The Beavers are the only team in the PAC-12 not to reinvest money back into their program from the recent TV deals. They have the worst facilities in the conference, and simply don't care about really being competitive. Nebraska is the complete opposite, and in a much less competitive conference.

Edit: Word is Ed Orgeron is going to Nebraska as well. Great recruiter, good defensive line coach. I'd be worried if I was the rest of the Big Ten west.

• Like 1