NCAA Football 2014 Thread

Yeah, I can see the Co-Champion stuff, its just seems like an added insult to suddenly also jump Baylor in front of them, when nothing had really changed.

Hopefully we get expansion soon.

Yeah, I can see the Co-Champion stuff, its just seems like an added insult to suddenly also jump Baylor in front of them, when nothing had really changed.

Hopefully we get expansion soon.

Well actually, something DID change. Baylor beat KState and has a complete resume now. Baylor IS the Big 12 champion (even according to their bowl tiebreaker which puts head to head result as the factor when teams have equal win loss records). Their own conference commissioner fucked them both with the "we're recognizing co-champs" even though the fucking tag line of the conference is "one true champion" and your own by laws state that Baylor is said champion.

I'm just shocked that the Big 12 got freaking hosed out of BOTH of them. Yes, Ohio State absolutely destroyed Wisconsin (still wrapping my head around that) ... and you can talk about the "reasons" they lost to VT at home ... but the fact remains that they played through a weaker conference schedule than both Baylor and TCU, and have the worst loss (and the only one at home).

Ugh, the one silver lining is that we immediately have the argument to expand the playoffs.

I think the 4 teams in are correct all in all. Where the committee fucked up was placing TCU 3rd in front of FSU last week as it's very difficult to explain how they managed to drop 3 spots. If last week's poll was 1) Bama, 2) Oregon, 3) FSU, 4) TCU, 5) OSU you'd at least have a case. Yes TCU romped but OSU won 59-0 against a far better team.

The Big 12 needs to find 2 teams to add and fast, or this might be a theme in the coming years (until expansion, at least).

So the committee couldn't decide who to pick of Baylor and TCU so they just wussed out on picking either. Fair enough. Yes OSU demolished Wisconsin but even with that they don't have the resume of Baylor TCU. Just bullshit, plain and simple.

And, yes, the Big 12 needs to either add 2 teams or petition for a waiver to have a conference championship game with just 10 teams.

OSU was clearly the correct pick here, and anyone who doesn't recognize that either has an anti-OSU agenda or they're lying to themselves.

The Big 12 aren't boned specifically by having co-champions - it's because their champion hasn't played 13 games. It's in part because OSU is a 12-1 instead of 11-1 conference champion that they're in, not because there's co-champions in the B12.

There are a multitude of other reasons too - just to address the "co-champions" thing. Also it's not a big 12 bylaw that Baylor is the champion. That's something that literally only the Baylor AD, and journalists quoting the Baylor AD are saying.

OSU was clearly the correct pick here, and anyone who doesn't recognize that either has an anti-OSU agenda or they're lying to themselves.

They lost to Virginia Tech. They got in because the committee wants to punish the Big 12 for not having a plus one game. It's everything that was wrong with the system before the BCS brought back into action here.

They have a two-touchdown loss to an unranked team. Sounds like Baylor to me.

Baylor also beat the same amount of ranked teams as OSU and needed one less game to do it. Baylor also lost their game on the road whereas OSU lost at home. Those are the things that basically separate them and it pretty definitively shows that Baylor got screwed.

Of course Baylor got screwed if you disregard everything OSU did as inconsequential and everything Baylor accomplished as the pinnacle of acheivement. What a compelling argument you're putting forward.

If you add the margin of victory of Baylor's ranked wins together, it doesn't add up to how much OSU beat Wisconsin by.

OSU played no FCS schools, Baylor beat up on a 6-6 FCS team.

OSU scored 46 points on ranked opponents, Baylor 49...whereas:

OSU gave up an average of 13 points to ranked opponents, Baylor 33.

And OSU did all this with their second string quarterback...and then in that monumental win over Wisconsin their third string quarterback! Yes. injuries happen to everyone, but this is a phenomenal achievement to do all this through such a significant injury.

This is a fantastic team, as opposed to a singular dynamic talent like Bryce Petty. I realize that this is a pretty boring team to want to put in over a flashy player like Petty - but you have to reward that. You have to. This is the totality of a season, not who has the most singular embarrassing game or whatever. One of my closest friends is a die-hard TCU fan so I really wanted them to get in, but you just can't justify it outside of really not wanting The Ohio State University anywhere near the playoff because fuck OSU.

Of course Baylor got screwed if you disregard everything OSU did as inconsequential and everything Baylor accomplished as the pinnacle of acheivement. What a compelling argument you're putting forward.

If you add the margin of victory of Baylor's ranked wins together, it doesn't add up to how much OSU beat Wisconsin by.

And OSU did all this with their second string quarterback...and then in that monumental win over Wisconsin their third string quarterback! Yes. injuries happen to everyone, but this is a phenomenal achievement to do all this through such a significant injury.

This is a fantastic team, as opposed to a singular dynamic talent like Bryce Petty. I realize that this is a pretty boring team to want to put in over a flashy player like Petty - but you have to reward that. You have to. This is the totality of a season, not who has the most singular embarrassing game or whatever. One of my closest friends is a die-hard TCU fan so I really wanted them to get in, but you just can't justify it outside of really not wanting The Ohio State University anywhere near the playoff because fuck OSU.

Shouldn't you be lobbying for Boise State or whereever Kellen Moore went?

• Like 1

Haha, like we ever had a chance of making the playoff even if we ran the table. Frankly i'm just happy that Boise State got a NY bowl. We'll probably lose to Arizona but I expect it to be at least close.

There are a multitude of other reasons too - just to address the "co-champions" thing. Also it's not a big 12 bylaw that Baylor is the champion. That's something that literally only the Baylor AD, and journalists quoting the Baylor AD are saying.

1 - I've actually lined out how OSU isn't the correct pick ... I have a personal connection to the team (Tom Herman, the OC, is the guy who recruited me to TLU) so I'm certainly not anti-OSU. I sure as shit ain't lying to myself either. All of the "measurables" that the committee used combined with how they've justified their rankings up to the last week point to OSU being in over both TCU and Baylor ... wrong.

2 - Actually yes, the Big12 does have it in their by-laws that head to head is the tiebreaker in terms of bowl games (thanks for the link DMN). Baylor is the Big12 champion.

They have a two-touchdown loss to an unranked team. Sounds like Baylor to me.

They have a two touchdown loss on the road at what is annually one of the hardest places to play to a team that finished 7-5 on the season (6th in their conference and with a winning conference record in the 2nd or 3rd hardest conference depending on where you look)

They have a two touchdown loss at home to a team that finished 6-6 on the season (6th in their division and tied for 10th overall in their conference with a losing conference record in the 4th or 5th hardest conference depending on where you look)

hhmm something about lying to one's self ?

Baylor and TCU played every single team in their conference ... the shit ones, but also the damn good ones. OSU did not.

TCU trounced that Minnesota team that gave OSU all sorts of fits (and also finished 2nd in the Big10 West with a 5-3 conference record)

Going by any number of the SOS rankings TCU is ahead of OSU in more of them than not and Baylor is barely behind OSU

In all of the fancy pants "metrics" ESPN gave us the rankings for during the selection show OSU was ahead of TCU and Baylor in only 1

In fact, almost every metric that you can Google has TCU ahead of OSU ... and Baylor beat them

Yeah OSU is a fantastic team. That isn't the debate. TCU and Baylor are fantastic teams as well. In the totality of the season TCU had a bad 11 minutes ... OSU and Baylor had bad games. Baylor lost 3 WRs (including their top WR) for stretches of 3 games or more this season. Petty had cracked bones in his spine and concussion issues.

Adding up the totality of the season ... OSU can be argued over one of them, but not both of them. Literally the maths used show that.

• Like 1

Haha, like we ever had a chance of making the playoff even if we ran the table. Frankly i'm just happy that Boise State got a NY bowl. We'll probably lose to Arizona but I expect it to be at least close.

Yea I know...I'm just a Penn State fan and don't like seeing people post good things about OSU :P