TV shows where "you just have to get past this point"

Benji

26 minutes ago, Davidmarrio said:

The programme I'm going to say isn't exactly an issue with the first season IMO but.....

The Walking Dead Season 2. That for me stopped me getting into it as I was hooked during season 1 and then season 2 just felt like it dragged for ages. It felt tedious and boring a lot of the time up until the final few episodes but the majority of it was just crap. 

I've only just managed to get past season 2 and that's after several attempts over the years in which I just gave in and never got round to watching it again. 

I recently began watching The Walking Dead for the first time ever recently, I agree that the start of season 2 was a little tedious but it picked up again and I am glad I continued through it, I'm only about half way through season 4 so still have some catching up todo.

Despite being a huge fan of the majority of Marvel's movies and shows, Agents of SHIELD was a slog initially. I also found the early parts of Daredevil and Jessica Jones to be a slog, Luke Cage wasn't so bad but took a few episodes to get into.

I tell everyone who talks about watching Stranger Things...."this is going to sound stupid, but if you find yourself wanting to give up, just keep watching until Winona Ryder puts up Christmas lights...I promise, you will binge the rest in one sitting after that.

• Like 3

season 2 of The Wire is easily the least interesting to me. That's not to say it was bad - it was still good TV - but even now, thinking about it, it's so not memorable at all. I can lay out multiple plots through all the other seasons and go "oh that's the season where x, y, z and oh shit yeah this happens holy shit yeah" but with season 2 I'm like "uh, that's the season with Liev Schreiber's half-brother trying to get into drug dealing?"

BoJack is a good shout. I watched the first couple episodes when it came out and could not get into it at all, but here recently I picked it back up after the praise for season 3 and was surprised at how much I've enjoyed the back half of season 1. From "Our Story Is A 'D' Story" onward, it's this show that's a great mix of dark humor, irreverence, wit and thoughtful stuff. You might start an episode laughing at the absurdity of Vincent Adultman, but by the end of the episode you're left stunned and and contemplative. It's great.

For example, probably the episode that got to me the most in season 1..

Spoiler

When BoJack, Diane and Todd go to Malibu to visit Herb Kazazz. One minute you're laughing at Todd and the Celebrity Stealing Club, the next BoJack is fighting a man dying of cancer, begging for his forgiveness, and being refused that absolution he was looking for from Herb.

58 minutes ago, 8 Maids-C-MILking said:

I only watched one episode of Bojack before moving on. I was surprised at how much I wasn't into it given how much I like so many of the people involved. Maybe I need to give it another chance...

I think I watched two before I gave it another chance. I felt like it started out very one dimensional - this guy is an ACTOR and he's an ASSHOLE and it's FUNNY - but as it went along, it got a lot better. 

A series that has been finished up last year. But one I feel like mentioning a lot.

Person of Interest. The first episode was pretty strong with it being an episode with a high budget, but the 6-7 episodes after that are very hit and miss and veer way too much into 'crime of the week' territory very much like the aformentioned Agents of Shield had in the first part.

But at the halfway mark when the first 'storyline' starts in PoI, does the series truly start to hook you as a viewer, and it only grows from there as the bigger bads become more dangerous, but despite it's high-concept plot it never turns into over the top ridiculous. And whilst Reese especially is a bonafide badass in every way, they manage to keep you interested despite that.

I'm very glad that they had a chance to wrap the series up with a halved Season 5, because the series certainly deserved it. And in a way i'm glad it ended there, because despite some hit and miss stuff, it ended with good memories rather than mired in seasonal rot.

For whoever wants to start watching it and isn't sure, watch the pilot, then watch Cura Te Ipsum (episode 4). Then if you're hooked, watch 2-3, 5 and so forth.

• Like 1

The first episode of The Wire was so different to anything else I'd watched before I really struggled with it. From the second episode on though I loved it. Series 2 was a battle for a few episodes at the start but after that I loved the pacing and how it progressed.

Farscape is my favourite programme of all time. Depending on when it was first watched, though, a few of the early episodes were mixed around a bit which makes some of the underlying plot development between characters a bit weird. Also, "I.E.T" is a horrible episode and you either hit it second or fourth. For me it really starts to hit a rhythm on episode 6 "Thank God It's Friday, Again", although the Premiere is very strong.

• Like 1

Buffy's one of my favorite shows ever, but the first season is definitely weaker than what comes next. It's fine as a fun little monster show, though that in no way compares to the emotional masterpieces that would follow. The changing point is Angel, and the perfection is already there by Prophecy Girl.

I also agree with Parks & Rec. It felt a lot like The Office-lite for a while, then it started creating its own brand of wackiness around the time Ann and Andy break up. They never worked as a couple to begin with. Most people would say the same about The Office, but I think only the Pilot episode is flawed, and they instantly picked up by Diversity Day.

I disagree re: The Wire. I was enthralled by episode one, and never slowed down. Same with Arrested Development, though I agree it gets better the more times you watch it.

In a slight twist on what the topic asks, I'll add Twin Peaks to the mix. The first season is actually great, but the middle of the second season totally drags. However, the finish is one of the best in TV history, and you have to slog through some boring stuff like James dating an old lady and Harry's girlfriend turning into a wooden knob (this actually happens) before the goodness comes back.

Oh, and there's this show called Monday Night Raw which was a total slog in the early days, with this hack comedian loudly ruining everything with his rambling. It got really good for a while in the late '90s there, early 2000s, but on the other hand, some would argue its even worse today...

This one doesn't really count because the seasons are entirely separate...but the amount of times I've had to tell people "honestly, just don't watch the first series" of Blackadder, I feel like I should mention it anyway. :shifty: 

9 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

A series that has been finished up last year. But one I feel like mentioning a lot.

Person of Interest. The first episode was pretty strong with it being an episode with a high budget, but the 6-7 episodes after that are very hit and miss and veer way too much into 'crime of the week' territory very much like the aformentioned Agents of Shield had in the first part.

But at the halfway mark when the first 'storyline' starts in PoI, does the series truly start to hook you as a viewer, and it only grows from there as the bigger bads become more dangerous, but despite it's high-concept plot it never turns into over the top ridiculous. And whilst Reese especially is a bonafide badass in every way, they manage to keep you interested despite that.

I'm very glad that they had a chance to wrap the series up with a halved Season 5, because the series certainly deserved it. And in a way i'm glad it ended there, because despite some hit and miss stuff, it ended with good memories rather than mired in seasonal rot.

For whoever wants to start watching it and isn't sure, watch the pilot, then watch Cura Te Ipsum (episode 4). Then if you're hooked, watch 2-3, 5 and so forth.

Yeah, POI is something else once it moves from 'crime prevention of the week' to the overarching plot of doom. "If-Then-Else" from season four was flat out excellent television, nestled in a very good season.

I really wanted to like POI cause I loved Michael Emerson in LOST, but there were a bunch of LOST alumni shows the year it debuted and that one just did not capture me at all. Will have to give it another shot at some point. Which episode(s) would you say marks the change?

3 hours ago, stokeriño said:

This one doesn't really count because the seasons are entirely separate...but the amount of times I've had to tell people "honestly, just don't watch the first series" of Blackadder, I feel like I should mention it anyway. :shifty: 

I still like the first season of Blackadder, but it is without a doubt better when they switch the roles around.

1 hour ago, Benji said:

I really wanted to like POI cause I loved Michael Emerson in LOST, but there were a bunch of LOST alumni shows the year it debuted and that one just did not capture me at all. Will have to give it another shot at some point. Which episode(s) would you say marks the change?

I still like the first season of Blackadder, but it is without a doubt better when they switch the roles around.

Episode 6/7/13 debuts major cameo characters for the seasons to come (spoilers?), 9/10 has some major plot progression for one of the characters. And later on in season one the true bad guys are revealed.

As a whole, Season 1 is kinda slow and doesn't have a really strong 'big bad', especially compared to what happens in Season 2.

Another series worth mentioning is Supernatural. It started off as a really ordinary 'monster of the week' romp where two brothers go around killing monsters and picking up chicks, and at a certain point in Season 1 it manages to just hook you organically and really keep you interested. The chemistry between Ackles and Padalecki making for great viewing.

It all reaches its crescendo in season 5, and practically everyone will concur that it should've closed off there... But the show has been signed for a thirteenth season, so it hasn't shown signs of stopping. By all accounts the later seasons started becoming good too, but I personally couldn't get into it anymore after the brutal Season 7, and I slogged through 8/9 but afterwards gave up because I had too much to watch.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Episode 6/7/13 debuts major cameo characters for the seasons to come (spoilers?), 9/10 has some major plot progression for one of the characters. And later on in season one the true bad guys are revealed.

As a whole, Season 1 is kinda slow and doesn't have a really strong 'big bad', especially compared to what happens in Season 2.

Another series worth mentioning is Supernatural. It started off as a really ordinary 'monster of the week' romp where two brothers go around killing monsters and picking up chicks, and at a certain point in Season 1 it manages to just hook you organically and really keep you interested. The chemistry between Ackles and Padalecki making for great viewing.

It all reaches its crescendo in season 5, and practically everyone will concur that it should've closed off there... But the show has been signed for a thirteenth season, so it hasn't shown signs of stopping. By all accounts the later seasons started becoming good too, but I personally couldn't get into it anymore after the brutal Season 7, and I slogged through 8/9 but afterwards gave up because I had too much to watch.

Yeah, Supernatural is an odd one. The first 5 seasons make for a pretty darn great overall arc, and even when it's finding it's feet in season one it's still pretty entertaining.

Then season 6 hits and... man, it's like starting all over again. It's a real slog. 7 and 8 aren't fantastic either, though do show some improvements. I'd argue, besides some of the cast changing, you could probably go from 5 straight to season 9. 10 was really good, as was 11. I'm enjoying 12 so far.

I honestly think Season 11 of Supernatural might be the best one in the show's history, with "Don't Call Me Shurley" right up there as my favourite, and the end result of 3 years of development for one character in particular.

Season 7 though... just... just awful. I honestly can't remember anything redeemable about that mess of a season. "Hurr, hurr, the villain is called Dick" as well as (major spoiler)...

Spoiler

... killing Bobby...

... which remains the worst decision in the show's history for me.

12 minutes ago, Benji said:

I honestly think Season 11 of Supernatural might be the best one in the show's history, with "Don't Call Me Shurley" right up there as my favourite, and the end result of 3 years of development for one character in particular.

Season 7 though... just... just awful. I honestly can't remember anything redeemable about that mess of a season. "Hurr, hurr, the villain is called Dick" as well as (major spoiler)...

Reveal hidden contents

... which remains the worst decision in the show's history for me.

Regarding the spoiler:

Spoiler

It does seem like it was done simply for shock value. I mean, wasn't season 7 the one where they made the point of killing off  - what seemed to be - double digits people they've previously worked with? Was overkill.

I actually thought the guy playing Dick was pretty good, in a sort of hammy/tropey villainous sort of way.

The guy playing him was okay, but didn't really feel like the character nor the enemy in general had the chops for the full season.

And RE: Spoiler:

Spoiler

Yeah, they killed folks off because they "wanted to get back to just Sam and Dean", which was so dumb because they could have just... not had those characters appear and basically put a really dumb reset on years of universe development.

Just now, Benji said:

The guy playing him was okay, but didn't really feel like the character nor the enemy in general had the chops for the full season.

And RE: Spoiler:

Hide contents

Yeah, they killed folks off because they "wanted to get back to just Sam and Dean", which was so dumb because they could have just... not had those characters appear and basically put a really dumb reset on years of universe development.

Regarding the villains:

Spoiler

I think they backed themselves into a corner with the Leviathans. They were portrayed as exceptionally powerful creatures, but were... somewhat inept at actually bringing about their end goal.

They would have probably been better as a group that could have been 'summoned' by another big bad and just have them run amok for the last 4-5 episodes whilst Sam & Dean work out how to top them.

• Like 1