i just started the West Wing.

K

26 minutes ago, K said:

I've never seen it before. It's good. I'm halfway through season 2 I think. It is a good show.

I watched most of the first season and didn't really get what the hype was about. I think it is because I thought it was going to be like The Thick of It or Yes, Minister/Prime Minister but it just felt like a political version of Scrubs. I was disappointed. 

1 hour ago, MDK said:

I watched most of the first season and didn't really get what the hype was about. I think it is because I thought it was going to be like The Thick of It or Yes, Minister/Prime Minister but it just felt like a political version of Scrubs. I was disappointed. 

That may be the most insulting thing anyone has said about any show ever

• Like 5

Oh come on, if you stop watching after season 4 you don't get to see the awesomeness of Alan Alda.

Two Cathedrals, the second season finale may be the best episode of a TV show I have ever seen.

• Like 4

There's a lot of good in seasons 5-7, I think. Everything that Vinnick and Bruno are involved in is wonderful by default, plus I like most of CJ's stuff during that period (intentionally being vague here to avoid spoilers). The shift in dynamics away from the White House and onto the campaigns is a bit clunky, sure, but I certainly don't look at any one of those seasons and consider them as patchy as season 1.

To be clear: season 1 in just about any show is usually patchy, so this is not much of a criticism. But with so much time dedicated either to Sam's Hooker Friend or anything involving Mandy, both of whom effectively cease to have relevance immediately afterwards, it feels a little pointless when I watch it back now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

There's a lot of good in seasons 5-7, I think. Everything that Vinnick and Bruno are involved in is wonderful by default, plus I like most of CJ's stuff during that period (intentionally being vague here to avoid spoilers). The shift in dynamics away from the White House and onto the campaigns is a bit clunky, sure, but I certainly don't look at any one of those seasons and consider them as patchy as season 1.

To be clear: season 1 in just about any show is usually patchy, so this is not much of a criticism. But with so much time dedicated either to Sam's Hooker Friend or anything involving Mandy, both of whom effectively cease to have relevance immediately afterwards, it feels a little pointless when I watch it back now.

Eh, the hooker friend was fine it's just that the storyline's pointless in the end. Mandy, on the other hand, is pretty terrible.

I've tried watching this before and I just find it unbearable. I know it's Aaron Sorkin's thing that the dialogue is always super quick and witty and all that, but it never comes off as natural to me, literally everybody has a witty response to everything someone says to them the instant the other person has stopped speaking where it just feels like the response was already formed in their mind beforehand, so it just feels too much like people just reciting lines rapid fire rather than actually acting them, it all just feels too rehearsed. It's particularly bad with some characters like CJ, Donna, Sam and Josh.

• Like 1

• Admin

I started watching in February and I'm now on episode 12 of season 7.

Spoiler

Not looking forward to the Election Day episodes as I know what's coming. :(

My first experience of Aaron Sorkin's work was the Newsroom (which I loved, despite popular opinion) so the dialogue in The West Wing almost seems slow in comparison.

Have to agree about Two Cathedrals, it was fantastic, but my favourite run of episodes is the end of season 5 and start of season 6. Unbelievably tense. 

• Like 1

I only started watching West Wing a couple of years back, but I've rewatched it so many times since. Season 5 was personally my least favorite, but even then there were still some great moments (Bartlett staring down Haffley; The Supreme Justices) to make it a good watch.

But yeah, dont stop after Season 4. Alan Alda alone is worth watching seasons 6 + 7 for.

• Like 1

• Admin
5 hours ago, Ace said:

I only started watching West Wing a couple of years back, but I've rewatched it so many times since. Season 5 was personally my least favorite, but even then there were still some great moments (Bartlett staring down Haffley; The Supreme Justices) to make it a good watch.

But yeah, dont stop after Season 4. Alan Alda alone is worth watching seasons 6 + 7 for.

+1 for reminding me about the Haffley stare down. His "or what?" to Leo is another great stare down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, New Year New Srar! said:

Possible end of the series spoiler question

Hide contents

Did they let people vote who won the President between Smits and Alda? Am I imagining that?

Spoiler

You're imagining that if you mean it was going to influence the storyline choice.  There was some points, particularly after the live debate episode where viewers favoured Vinick, but that's because Alan Alda.  The other rumour was Santos was going to lose, but that was changed after John Spencer passed away,  all of these ideas have been debunked in interviews with the producers and writers after the series ended.

Start of season three my interest is waning a little. I think I must have missed something cause a bunch of dudes showed up and i don't know who they are. I'll stick with it. Season three apparently trends upwards.

1 hour ago, K said:

Start of season three my interest is waning a little. I think I must have missed something cause a bunch of dudes showed up and i don't know who they are. I'll stick with it. Season three apparently trends upwards.

Thats Bruno Gianelli and his groupies. Their the re-election crew but aside from Bruno they don't stay around long anyway. Plus Season Three has Gibbs in it (H)

On 5/12/2017 at 23:30, stokeriño said:

TBH, considering what happens in the season 4 finale, I cannot imagine anyone watching it and going "Next episode? Nah, I'm good thanks".

Right. Completely forgot what that season's cliffhanger was :lol:

Edited by Ace