The January Transfer Window - 2018

Lineker

I dunno how much it had to do with City and how much it had to do with the ballyhoo that's been going on between Liverpool and Southampton over this whole thing.

On 12/27/2017 at 21:59, MadJack said:

That is a ridiculous price, even in terms of the silly season.

It's undoubtedly a huge fee, but I feel like there needs to be some perspective about it.

Firstly, he's the man Klopp wanted above all others and we've spent far too many years settling for third or fourth choice targets and suffering for it. We had to pay a premium to get Southampton back at the negotiating table after pissing them off in the summer. We had to pay a premium to ensure that Man City didn't swoop in to hijack the deal. We had to pay a premium for the fact he had just under 5 years left on his contract. We had to pay the usual Premier League Proven premium. Then, of course, the January window premium.

And even with all that, he's still significantly cheaper than Ferdinand and Carvalho--and is even comparable to Mangala--accounting for inflation. Honestly, I think this is the kind of fee that we're going to be looking at for top level CBs, especially given there's a dearth of quality in the position worldwide. We've already seen Chelsea have a huge offer for Koulibaly rebuffed which would've been unthinkable a few years ago.

I genuinely couldn't give a toss about the price. We had the money to spend - why not spend it on our top target who appeared to have slipped through our fingers?

Edited by Nerf
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nerf said:

It's undoubtedly a huge fee, but I feel like there needs to be some perspective about it.

Firstly, he's the man Klopp wanted above all others and we've spent far too many years settling for third or fourth choice targets and suffering for it. We had to pay a premium to get Southampton back at the negotiating table after pissing them off in the summer. We had to pay a premium to ensure that Man City didn't swoop in to hijack the deal. We had to pay a premium for the fact he had just under 5 years left on his contract. We had to pay the usual Premier League Proven premium. Then, of course, the January window premium.

And even with all that, he's still significantly cheaper than Ferdinand and Carvalho--and is even comparable to Mangala--accounting for inflation. Honestly, I think this is the kind of fee that we're going to be looking at for top level CBs, especially given there's a dearth of quality in the position worldwide. We've already seen Chelsea have a huge offer for Koulibaly rebuffed which would've been unthinkable a few years ago.

I genuinely couldn't give a toss about the price. We had the money to spend - why not spend it on our top target who appeared to have slipped through our fingers?

Cool.

Southampton were sold/bought for £200m a wee while ago. Would have made more sense to buy the club.

Transfers and wages have become meaningless recently.

Just now, MDK said:

Transfers and wages have become meaningless recently.

They genuinely haven't become any more meaningless than when £30m was considered lavish spending, though. It's just that people, for whatever reason, really can't get their heads around market inflation (or deflation, for that matter). People will have been making the argument you just made 20 years ago when Shearer went for £15m. For perspective, Rio Ferdinand's transfer to United is the equivalent of about £130 million in 2017 money.

8 minutes ago, Nerf said:

They genuinely haven't become any more meaningless than when £30m was considered lavish spending, though. It's just that people, for whatever reason, really can't get their heads around market inflation (or deflation, for that matter). People will have been making the argument you just made 20 years ago when Shearer went for £15m. For perspective, Rio Ferdinand's transfer to United is the equivalent of about £130 million in 2017 money.

We live in a world when Neymar is only slightly more expensive than a top flight PL club.

32 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Accounting for inflation, Ferdinand went for around 43.5m in "2017 money"... I can only assume you're using Zimbabwe's rate of inflation

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Accounting for inflation, Ferdinand went for around 43.5m in "2017 money"... I can only assume you're using Zimbabwe's rate of inflation

Zimbabwe have started using their dollar in the place of helium. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MDK said:

We live in a world when Neymar is only slightly more expensive than a top flight PL club.

We probably always have, or at least close to. How much were football clubs worth relative to transfer fees in the 90s?

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Market inflation isn't the same as currency inflation, Matt.

3 minutes ago, Nerf said:

We probably always have, or at least close to. How much were football clubs worth relative to transfer fees in the 90s?

I think my overall point is that Liverpool have been absolutely mugged off by Southampton. And fair play to them.