Great Canadian Bands/Artists

RPS

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Softer stuff go with Barenaked Ladies, it's radio friendly but it's really addicting, "If I had a Million Dollars" "It's all been done" are two of my favorites.

A lot of Rush songs are pretty good too, Tom Sawyer and Xanadu are quite good.

Nomeansno, The Hanson Brothers, and D.O.A are really the only ones that I can come up with.

There is no such thing as a bad Nomeansno album, everything they record is gold. Two, Lips, Two Lungs, and One Toungue is a great song, from their best album "Wrong". I also like Rags and Bones, Madness and Death, Cats Sex and Nazi's, Obsessed, Sex Mad, Graveyard Shift, and...geez so many more. Nomeansno may very well be my favorite band.

The Hanson Brothers are an offshoot of Nomeansno featuring the Wright Brothers. The band is based off of the Hanson Brothers from the old "Slapshot" movie with Paul Newman.

D.O.A., an oldie but goodie. Nothing like blasting the song Disco Sucks, because disco does suck. "Saw some people stomping around, saying DISCO SUCKS DISCO SUCKS". Great hardcore band, that ventured out to California and played with many of the L.A./Orange County groups of that era. Race Riot...don't buy it.

Billy Talent is awesome, and I can't recommend just one of their songs, cause I love every single track! They are, like, ear orgasmic. I have gotten so many people in my little town hooked on Billy Talent it is not even funny. Went to Warped Tour, made three new fans. Pass CDs around with Billy Talent tracks on them, everyone wants more. Billy Talent is one of the top 3 best bands to come out of Canada, eh.

3 Days Grace are canadian? They are good, too. I like their whole album.

As you can tell, I am not too sure of how many bands are actually from Canada, but let me say, they all pale in comparison to the almighty rock gods, BILLY TALENT!!!

Billy Talent is awesome, and I can't recommend just one of their songs, cause I love every single track!  They are, like, ear orgasmic.  I have gotten so many people in my little town hooked on Billy Talent it is not even funny.  Went to Warped Tour, made three new fans.  Pass CDs around with Billy Talent tracks on them, everyone wants more.  Billy Talent is one of the top 3 best bands to come out of Canada, eh.

3 Days Grace are canadian?  They are good, too.  I like their whole album. 

As you can tell, I am not too sure of how many bands are actually from Canada, but let me say, they all pale in comparison to the almighty rock gods, BILLY TALENT!!!

Planet Smashers rule. I have seen them two times before and I must say, although neo-ska, I still love it.

Billy Talent. Upon first listen, I thought Try Honesty was fine. I bought the CD. And realized the fact, "Billy Talent kind of suck." Than, I keep hearing their singles in the radio and saw the success they got. I said to myself, "okay, they are good for Canadian music." Than I saw them at Warped Tour. And now I have said, "hey, Billy Talent put on a rockin' show." So really, tommorow I could wind up hating Billy Talent. But they aren't, nor anywhere close, to rock gods.

Someone said Moist and they couldn't be more right. Push was such an awesome song. I loved all of the singles Moist relased in the 1990's and they along with I Mother Earth, Big Wreck, Sloan, the Odds, Junkhouse, Tea Party etc. started up a huge revival of great music in Canada. The effects are still felt today with acts like Sloan, Sam Roberts, Broken Social Scene, Matthew Good being at the helms of the second coming of good, Canadian rock music. Plus you got Thornley, Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, Edwin and the Pressures {new I Mother Earth blows} showing that their is life after your good band. Lets ship away Three Days Grace, Default, Nickelback, Theory of a Dead Man to the states and let them have the shit.

Yes, I mentioned Moist. Push, Silver, Resurrection, and Leave It Alone are all awesome tunes.

And I also loved I Mother Earth, pre Edwin departure though. One More Astronaut, Raspberry, and Another Sunday are some of my favorite IME tracks.

Oh man, you also mentioned Tea Party and Matt Good (who I saw recently in concert)....yet a few more of my favorite Canadian bands.

And who can forget Big Wreck with three awesome tracks in That Song, Oaf, and Blown Wide Open. In fact, That Song has to be one of my favorite songs of the 90's.

Sloan is pretty good too. The Good In Everyone is one hell of an upper, IMO.

I Mother Earth, Big Wreck, Sloan, the Odds, Junkhouse, Tea Party etc. started up a huge revival of great music in Canada.

I saw Sloan a few years back at the 89x Birthday Bash (89x is a radio station in Detroit). They were alright, not really my kind of thing, but they did put on a good show. Our Lady Peace, Quarashi, Dashboard Confesional were also there. The only reason I went was for an ex-girl, normally none of that stuff is for me. The concert wasn't terrible though, they kept it lively. Except Dashboard.

Lets ship away Three Days Grace, Default, Nickelback, Theory of a Dead Man to the states and let them have the shit.

I love you. Have my pseudo-intellectual angst ridden children.