1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

Back in Back is great, and to be fair to AC/DC there's about 4 or 5 songs that could justly be included as the representative from this album. But the title track is the best. Great groove, great riff, classic AC/DC pedal bass that keeps the song moving and a hell of a first song for them to show their new singer. Oh and as I type this the song just gets to the solo. That's a hell of a good guitar solo.

I'd never heard any Pete Townshend, although I've heard that his solo music has a reasonable amount of high spots so I was planning to get round to this at some point. This is obviously a lot more 80s in instrumentation and production, but you can still tell it's a Pete Townshend song. I've always been a much bigger fan of poppy Who compared to rocky Who, so I really like this one, although I kind of get what you mean by the isn't anything special song. I enjoyed this tune, but I don't necessarily think it would be anywhere near one of the 1001 I need to listen to before I pop my clogs.

See, the thing about Dexy's Midnight Runners is they had a different sound for every album. With the exception of Kevin Rowland's ridiculous voice, obviously. So the album with Come On Eileen was their fiddle album, and the one with Geno is their brassy album. And you don't need this trombone player to tell you that brass always beats strings. This is a really good little song from a gem of an album. Dexy's are one those bands, like the Proclaimers, that are often unfairly dismissed as one hit wonders (particularly as Geno was #1 in DMR's case).

Barry Gibb was a on a real high right now. He pretty much wrote and sang all the Bee Gees classic tunes around this period. I guess you can only really have one Saturday Night Fever song, because so many of the songs from that are far better, and far more iconic than Guilty. Streisand is a decent enough singer but she seems to have phoned it in a bit better. They should have got someone like Diana Ross or Steve Winwood to do the duet with. That would have been better. It's okay, this song, but I don't think the world needs it.

Like I said before, I think Joy Division are a bit shit. Whereas, as (I hope) we will see, I really really really really like New Order. But Joy Division are a bit shit. Yet, this song is the exception. Love Will Tear Us Apart is a great great great great song and it's enough to justify Joy Division's legacy by itself. I wouldn't change anything about it. You can see how Joy Division had progressed, moving from their previous third-rate goth dithering to Love Will Tear Us Apart. In sound, in instrumentation, in atmosphere, this is already a New Order song. In every way except Curtis's vox of course, but IC gets it perfect this time and it is really sad he wasn't able to do more of this as the he and the band around him improved so much.

• Like 1

A couple weeks back, it was Back in Black 40 year anniversary and there was a radio special with interviews and they played all their songs from the album. The interviews were interesting since they mentioned the fact Scott died when they had already written the songs for him. Whoever came in would have to adjust to what was already written. Then Brian Johnson spoke about how the audition went and how he had been talking to the band members for a while while playing pool before telling them he was actually there for the audition. I'm sure some things weren't exactly the way they told them but it was a fun story regardless. 

Regarding their music I like most of their albums from the Bon Scott era - not every single song but in general - but I'm not really a fan of anything from Back in Black onwards. I'm well aware of it's reputation. I'm well aware many people in Hard Rock consider this album one of the best things ever done but it's not for me. It really gets me bored at times. I don't doubt it deserves a spot in the book, though. 

Pete Townshend song is ok. I've had a good time at his shows, solo and with the Who. Their records though... I'm not a big fan, and I did try. The only thing I really liked was that conceptually weird The Who Sell Out album and that one really doesn't sound much like most of what they did.

I never looked into Dexy's Midnight Runners catalogue, so I only know a few of their singles. I actually like Come on Eileen although the first time I heard it many, many years ago, it was someone else's cover. This one is ok, although I wouldn't say I like it.

Next one is two people who make music loved by many. I didn't skip it... today.

Joy Division's is the one song I actually like n this set. As the eighties progress I'm sure this will be quite common, until the 90s, at least.

6 hours ago, metalman said:

Back in Back is great, and to be fair to AC/DC there's about 4 or 5 songs that could justly be included as the representative from this album. But the title track is the best. Great groove, great riff, classic AC/DC pedal bass that keeps the song moving and a hell of a first song for them to show their new singer. Oh and as I type this the song just gets to the solo. That's a hell of a good guitar solo.

Like I said before, I think Joy Division are a bit shit. Whereas, as (I hope) we will see, I really really really really like New Order. But Joy Division are a bit shit. Yet, this song is the exception. Love Will Tear Us Apart is a great great great great song and it's enough to justify Joy Division's legacy by itself. I wouldn't change anything about it. You can see how Joy Division had progressed, moving from their previous third-rate goth dithering to Love Will Tear Us Apart. In sound, in instrumentation, in atmosphere, this is already a New Order song. In every way except Curtis's vox of course, but IC gets it perfect this time and it is really sad he wasn't able to do more of this as the he and the band around him improved so much.

My thoughts on these two songs are very similar. The Bon Scott era of AC/DC had more songs that I like, but Back in Black was a great comeback album and title track. Joy Division generally don't do much for me either, but I agree that Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of the standout songs of any band of their era. It's one of those songs that feels as if every ingredient adds to the end product.

9 hours ago, metalman said:

Joy Division are one of my favourite bands, so, yeah, VOTE: Metalman

Bear in mind that the producer of their two studio albums, Martin Hannett, tinkered with their sound so much, especially on their debut, Unknown Pleasures, that although great, it doesn't reflect the band's "sheet metal roar" that was their live shows and Peter Hook has said they weren't happy with it. With that said, I will agree about their progression.

Ian Curtis was going through a lot of turmoil- he married far too young, he was the singer of a burgeoning rock band but was suffering with epilepsy and it was starting to badly affect him and the band, and he entered into an affair of sorts. It's a powerful song which resonates today.

1 hour ago, Gorka said:

Surprised 'Disorder' by Joy Division did not make the list, it's a perfect song.

I have a real soft spot for New Order's first album 'Movement' because it's a great mix between Joy Division and what New Order would eventually become.

I've never heard early New Order, but having watched 'Control' the other day, on a bit of a kick for the band and what followed. Downloaded this on Spotify yesterday to check out.

• Like 1

Liam really summarized Love Will Tear Us Apart brilliantly. I love that song, it helped get me through basic training (obviously I had to play it my head, thank you Andy Dufresne). 

I personally like Joy Division and most of what they did. She's Lost Control is my favorite, just such a fucking cool song.

For those of you maybe unfamiliar, even before Joy Division there was Warsaw. I recommend it, even just to show where the band was before Joy Division. Its pretty straight forward punk stuff but quite cool. I like it because it's so fucking raw and I just dig hearing bands go out there and do some gritty rock and roll.

@Liam

Have I thanked you for this thread yet? This is awesome, my favorite thread on EWB in a long time. Its fun hearing new stuff and talking about stuff I already know. Its generating really interesting discussions and I like seeing everybody else chime, even metalman when he's wrong (i kid, i love metalman)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, VerbalPuke said:

@Liam

Have I thanked you for this thread yet? This is awesome, my favorite thread on EWB in a long time. Its fun hearing new stuff and talking about stuff I already know. Its generating really interesting discussions and I like seeing everybody else chime, even metalman when he's wrong (i kid, i love metalman)

Yeah, I'll second this. This is the best thread, great work Liam. And I've really enjoyed reading other peoples' thoughts too. 

Edited by metalman
  • Like 4

"Love Will Tear Us Apart" is one of my earliest musical memories of hearing a song and immediately deciding that band was one of my favorites. I've definitely evolved more towards New Order as I've gotten older. Joy Division at times is just a bit too haunting and dark, but without the polish of say Sisters of Mercy. But from a purely sentimental standpoint "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is such a powerful song for me. It's hard to accurately assess it as a result.

Before I knew Joy Division I knew AC/DC and especially the "Back in Black" album. The title track is such a great hard rock song. "Hell's Bells" gets honorable mention off that album. But "Back in Black" can just get your blood pumpin' in a way few songs do. I'm glad we've been giving them their due in this thread because AC/DC do the particular kind of rock they do better than basically anyone else.

Solo Pete Townshend doesn't do a ton for me. This is probably my favorite of his solo songs. I don't really see myself working my way through his solo discog now or ever though.

Likewise, not a big Streisand listener but her voice is amazing. And pairing it with Barry Gibb really is a perfect match.

Outside of "Come on Eileen" I don't remember a single DMR song. Though I know I listened to them because I had people years ago insist they weren't a one hit wonder. Ah well. Every album appears to sound like it's by a totally different band which probably hurt my chances of remembering their music.

Also @Liam can't thank you enough for this thread. Wish I got into it a bit earlier, I have some older posts to dig through still. Regrettable because I probably missed the chance to rave about all the jazz I love and brag about Baltimore's own Cab Calloway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've enjoyed every moment and it has given me an opportunity to broaden my own musical interests. I used to be so in to music when I was younger, yet it just...dropped off as I got older. I listened to stuff, just rarely sought out new music or things I hadn't heard before. This has at least reinvigorated my desire to check out new stuff in a way that I've not felt for a decade or so.

I'm away for a few days so will resume on Wednesday. 

• Like 2

‘Wardance’, Killing Joke (1980)

Influenced by: Electric Funeral • Black Sabbath (1970)   

Influence on: On the Beach • The Comsat Angels (1980)   

Covered by: The Mad Capsule Markets (2001)   

Other key tracks: The Wait (1980) • Requiem (1980)

Killing Joke are definitely a band I feel I should have heard more of over the years. I vaguely recall a brief return in the late 90s or possibly early 00s, but I’ve listened to nothing else that I know of. It has felt like a while on the list since a step up in terms of the sheer noise being created by a band, so welcome Killing Joke. This is music thrown into a threshing machine, razor blade vocals and all. Fundamentally, for me at least, there is a catchiness within the maelstrom – primarily from the percussion - that makes it a good song, though mileage may vary.

‘Ace of Spades’, Motorhead (1980).

No duh, ‘Ace of Spades’ is a brilliant song. Therefore, I’ll tell you a brief story about my attempts to do rock and roll karaoke when I lived in Brighton. I’m not a natural singer, but I liked the idea of going up with a live backing band and had drunk enough to have a go. I chose ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ by Nirvana, and a friend of a friend also signed up as a support as much as anything. I didn’t realise he was a lead singer in a band and he went up to do ‘Ace of Spades’ and absolutely crushed it. While I was perfectly fine, he pretty much blew me off the stage before I’d even got on there. Yeah. ‘Ace of Spades’ is brilliant. Listen to it.

‘Start!’, The Jam (1980)

Apparently, this song bares more than a passing resemblance to ‘Taxman’ by The Beatles, a song that I vaguely recall but not well enough to be able to substantiate one way or the other. This feels like a very different side to the Jam as they still have the angular guitars adding dynamism to the sound, yet the overall tone is one that is less angry and all about the momentum. I’ve not listened to a lot of Weller’s stuff over the years – the odd song here and there – but I do like him as a lead vocalist. The voice is pleasant, with enough character to not just fall into the background while the instruments do all the work.

‘Once in a Lifetime’, Talking Heads (1980)

Influenced by: Oh Lord Give Us More Money • Holger Czukay (1979)   

Influence on: Don’t Scandalize Mine • Sugar Bear (1988)   

Covered by: Big Daddy (1991) • Phoebe One (1998) • Phish (2002) • The Exies (2007)

The biggest ‘miss’ so far on the list was the lack of ‘Psycho Killer’. There. That’s out of the way. This is an interesting departure from what Talking Heads were known for, inspired according to David Byrne by a mixture of African tribal music and the rhythm of evangelical preaching. What I can say is that there is a lot going on in this song with a lot of layers of music all doing vaguely different things. At heart, this is a catchy pop song, yet the waves of additional noise, from the drums to the guitars, take it up a notch to create a fully formed great piece of music. It might not be for all, but I certainly enjoyed it.

‘Vienna’, Ultravox (1980)

Influenced by: ISI • NEU! (1975)   

Influence on: Guiding Light • Muse (2009)  

Covered by: Celestial Season (1995) • Clawfinger (2001) • Russell Watson (2000)   

Other key tracks: Sleepwalk (1980) • All Stood Still (1980)• Passing Strangers (1980)

This is the only song by Ultravox that I know and seemingly came after a chance of vocalist (Midge Ure becoming the singer) and a change of direction away from their glam rock stylings of the 70s. This is such an odd song because you have almost two very disparate parts as the choruses and the verse could conceivably be different songs completely. They were seeking to create something almost over-pompous and they nailed it with the iconic chorus, but suggestions that the song was too depressing and too slow might have nailed things for me, mainly for the latter accusation. The verse is enjoyable. The rest? Less so.

‘Caballa viejo’, Simon Diaz (1980)

It has felt like a while since I’ve had a song with a more Latin American touch to it. This is apparently a style of country music popular in Venezuela, while the song itself was written when Diaz became infatuated with a woman that was in a folk group he was filming. The most notable thing – sorry Simon – is that it formed the base for the song ‘Bamboleo’. Perfectly pleasant, if underwhelming.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever listened to Killing Joke , a bit of a.blind spot for me, but that's a cool song. Gothic with a bit of a groove, really good stuff. Quite a lot of industrial effects that I'd more readily associate with Nine Inch Nails around a decade later, and indeed that I thought might have originated with them,. But this is better than Nine Inch Nails because they didn't forget the tune.

Ace of Spades is the best Motorhead song by miles. And that's not to criticise Motorhead at all, they had plenty of good songs. It's more that Ace of Spades is just a really, really great song. I think I last said this with Good Times by Chic, but of all the songs in this book there are a select few - 10 or 20 or so - that I would say truly go to the next level. I'd add Ace of Spades to that select group. It's just a superb song.

Start is a really good song and much better than Taxman. Number one single too. There are better bands than the Jam, but I'm not sure if there are better singles bands than the Jam, so they really shine in a book like this. 

Wow,  I completely forgot Once In a Lifetime was as early as 1980. The Talking Heads did so much beforehand that I keep thinking it is a lot later than it actually is. I love this song. I love Talking Heads in general, but it was around this time they went from being a very good band to a great band.

If you don't know any other Ultravox stuff you should listened to Underpass by their former vocalist John Foxx. Great little piece of dark synth pop. Vienna is pretty cool. Great atmospherics and one of the first songs to be really boosted by a good video. It still annoys me that you get all these old humourless guys moaning about the injustice of it being held off number one by Shaddap You Face. Those people should go and do one. Shaddap You Face is great and much better than Vienna.

INTERLUDE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY IS SHADDAP YOU FACE NOT IN THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait here it is

Shaddap You Face by  Joe Dolce (1980)

Influenced by: Throbbing Gristle, big accordion solos

Influence on: Most

Covered by: Dunno

Other key tracks: None

A charming, warm-hearted comedy song. Hated by humourless old bores for keeping Vienna by Ultravox off number one. Better than Vienna by Ultravox.

Caballa viejo is nice. I'm actually moderately familiar with this kind of music, because I like it. I don't see anything about this one that differentiates it from any other - Lilia Vera, for instance, has much better tunes than this. Still nice to have it here though.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, metalman said:

I don't think I've ever listened to Killing Joke , a bit of a.blind spot for me, but that's a cool song. Gothic with a bit of a groove, really good stuff. Quite a lot of industrial effects that I'd more readily associate with Nine Inch Nails around a decade later, and indeed that I thought might have originated with them,. But this is better than Nine Inch Nails because they didn't forget the tune.

Ace of Spades is the best Motorhead song by miles. And that's not to criticise Motorhead at all, they had plenty of good songs. It's more that Ace of Spades is just a really, really great song. I think I last said this with Good Times by Chic, but of all the songs in this book there are a select few - 10 or 20 or so - that I would say truly go to the next level. I'd add Ace of Spades to that select group. It's just a superb song.

Start is a really good song and much better than Taxman. Number one single too. There are better bands than the Jam, but I'm not sure if there are better singles bands than the Jam, so they really shine in a book like this. 

Wow,  I completely forgot Once In a Lifetime was as early as 1980. The Talking Heads did so much beforehand that I keep thinking it is a lot later than it actually is. I love this song. I love Talking Heads in general, but it was around this time they went from being a very good band to a great band.

If you don't know any other Ultravox stuff you should listened to Underpass by their former vocalist John Foxx. Great little piece of dark synth pop. Vienna is pretty cool. Great atmospherics and one of the first songs to be really boosted by a good video. It still annoys me that you get all these old humourless guys moaning about the injustice of it being held off number one by Shaddap You Face. Those people should go and do one. Shaddap You Face is great and much better than Vienna.

INTERLUDE

!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHY IS SHADDAP YOU FACE NOT IN THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait here it is

Shaddap You Face by  Joe Dolce (1980)

Influenced by: Throbbing Gristle, big accordion solos

Influence on: Most

Covered by: Dunno

Other key tracks: None

A charming, warm-hearted comedy song. Hated by humourless old bores for keeping Vienna by Ultravox off number one. Better than Vienna by Ultravox.

Caballa viejo is nice. I'm actually moderately familiar with this kind of music, because I like it. I don't see anything about this one that differentiates it from any other - Lilia Vera, for instance, has much better tunes than this. Still nice to have it here though.

I highly recommend Killing Joke, as you pointed out, they were a definite pioneer of industrial/gothic type of stuff. They even got a bit poppier in the 80s.

Hopefully this doesn't steal Liam's thunder later on but...

You may have heard it, but if not it should definitely sound familiar if you've ever listened to Nirvana. 

Their first album is really good though, there's a few songs on that album that just thump. 

• Like 1

Good set. I like every album from Killing Joke apart from Outside the Gate, which may be just a little too outside the gate for me. That's not to say I like every song in every album, but as a whole I like everything they released. As for Wardance, I like it a lot.

Motorhead is a band that hasn't left my mp3 players ever since I got my first. Still love Ace of Spades as much as I did the first time I heard the song.

I like almost everything from the Jam too. This song has a different feel to their early work indeed. But I still like it. Their last album is probably the only one I never listen to.

Once in a Lifetime and Vienna are ok in my book. I actually like both bands - their early work at least. I like Ultravox first 2, both pre-Midge Ure. I'm well aware they became relevant with this album and the production was better but I liked it how it was beforehand. Midge Ure also played guitar on Visage and you can easily tell even if you didn't know about it. I did like the Rich Kids though. I like simple things.

Talking Heads is different though. While they gradually changed their sound in the 80s, I still like Remain in Light. It's just the song itself that I don't care that much about. It gets played a lot in some places I go to, which may be part of the reason why... Not nearly as much as Road to Nowhere, but still...

I don't know who Simon Diaz is, and I don't have much to say about him, but I'm sure he made people happy with his music in many countries. Good for him.

‘I Got You’, Split Enz (1980)

I love me some Crowded House and Neil Finn so this is right in my wheelhouse, at least potentially. This was during a time when Finn took over lead guitar, with his relative inexperience meaning the songs became simpler, yet more immediate. This is very of its time and a little odd, but there is a clear sense of the poppy sensibilities that meant that Crowded House eventually really took off under Finn’s helm. There’s a feeling of jerky paranoia caused by the synths that I like about the chorus in particular, though this doesn’t really hold a torch to what they’d go on to do.

‘It Must Be Love’, Madness (1981)

I think that some songs are just good. This is one of them. It doesn’t do anything particularly exciting or groundbreaking, but it is a really catchy song. It was actually a cover version, though Labi Siffre liked the version so much he appeared in the music video. I don’t have much else to add – it is a really good song that is pretty inoffensive in my opinion.

‘Tom Sawyer’, Rush (1981)

I always believe I should have heard more by Rush, but there has always been something that holds me back. I’m sure fans will hate me for this – I blame Geddy Lee’s vocals. They just aren’t what I want from my rock, metal, alternative, whatever type bands. They aren’t bad, they are not my preference….however, this is a good song. Rather than some of the wankery that you might expect from a prog band, this is tight and all the better for it. It also gets kudos for being used for Kerry Von Erich in World Class. The playing is all at a very high quality as you’d expect from a technical band and it isn’t hard to see why this was one of the songs the band produced that had real staying power amongst non-fans.

‘Girls on Film’, Duran Duran (1981)

Influenced by: Love Is the Drug • Roxy Music (1975)   

Influence on: Girls and Boys • Blur (1994)   

Covered by: The Living End (1999) • Billy Preston (2002) • Girls Aloud (2003)   Other key tracks: Careless Memories (1981) • Planet Earth (1981) • Night Boat (1981)

Duran Duran are so 80s. They are also involved in some of the best videos of the time period, all to accompany some really catchy pop tunes. They are are band that I always can understand why someone wouldn’t like them – they are so twee and kitsch – yet I do really enjoy their best songs. This wouldn’t be up near the top of my list, but it was their first top 5 song and basically encapsulated what you’d get from Duran Duran as the 80s continued: a catchy tune and a promo video that got people talking.

‘I Love Rock and Roll’, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts (1981)

Influenced by: Old Time Rock & Roll • Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band (1978)   

Influence on: Everybody Get Up • Five (1998)   

Covered by: Ghoti Hook (1998) • Britney Spears (2002) • Queen of Japan (2002) • Hayseed Dixie (2002) • Showaddywaddy (2006)

There are some songs that feel cliché and boring, primarily because they were so ‘on the nose’ that they became used everywhere, covered by everyone and wheeled out to try and embody a certain feeling in TV, film, adverts, etc. That describes this song to me. I don’t enjoy it as much as I feel I should because I’ve heard it way too much, but I’ve heard it way too much because it is an excellent tune. I shouldn’t really hate on a song for its popularity when it has quality as well, yet it falls lower down my list of interest than it really should. Jett feels legitimate throughout, while the drums and guitar are fun for all.

‘Mickey’, Toni Basil (1981)

Influenced by: Kitty • Racey (1979)   

Influence on: Girlfriend • Avril Lavigne (2007)   

Covered by: “Weird Al” Yankovic (1983) • B*Witched (2000) • Zebrahead (2009)   

Other key track: You Gotta Problem (1982)

Sometimes songs are just dumb and fun. This is that. Enjoy it.

• Like 1