1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

@Liam there was about 10 years worth of music not on this list - 2010 to date. What do you think came out in the last 10 years that would be a guaranteed inclusion on the list? 

23 hours ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Ex-squeeze me, baking powder?

nah, I agree with them and I voted "American Boy" in the final two as well. Basically a conversation for me between which song is the more important song (obviously "Single Ladies") and which song I'd much sooner hear if you gave me the choice (every single second of "American Boy" is unbelievably catchy, pleasing pop and it serves as the last glimpse of College Trilogy Kanye before tragedy strikes and he starts doing the 808s stuff in response to it).

I'd much rather hear Single Ladies like 100 times out of 100, personally. :P 

And 808s and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy are top 3 Kanye albums for me >_>

37 minutes ago, RPS said:

@Liam there was about 10 years worth of music not on this list - 2010 to date. What do you think came out in the last 10 years that would be a guaranteed inclusion on the list? 

A couple votes from me - one of Adele's chart toppers, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Alright, Formation, Old Town Road, Sicko Mode, Bitch Better Have My Money, Latch, Slow Burn, Bodak Yellow, Midnight City, and Truth Hurts. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

I'd much rather hear Single Ladies like 100 times out of 100, personally. :P 

And 808s and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy are top 3 Kanye albums for me >_>

Oh, MBDTF is neck-and-neck for my favorite Kanye album (and if we're talking about what from 2010 to 2021 would deserve to make the book I think something off that album would be in there. My vote would be for "Runaway"). But College Trilogy Kanye is the version of him I find to be the most welcome to turn up in things that aren't his own projects, and him losing his mom is clearly the pivotal moment that leads first to good music where he's unmoored and then the long spiral to where he's at now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, damshow said:

A couple votes from me - one of Adele's chart toppers, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe, Alright, Formation, Old Town Road, Sicko Mode, Bitch Better Have My Money, Latch, Slow Burn, Bodak Yellow, Midnight City, and Truth Hurts. 

It is kind of wild how forgotten M83 are. I did not actually realize that M83 released TWO albums after Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. It is kind of wild to think about how the vast majority of songs that would be included on this list would be rock and roll songs and that if the list were updated to include the last 10 years, there likely would be a handful of rock and roll songs that would even be included. 

I just listened to American Boy by Estelle. I forgot how interesting the synths were on this track. There is something slightly off with the production on this track. There is some subtle modulation on Kanye's voice that is really distracting and annoying. It is a cool track, but I agree with Cloudy re Single Ladies versus American Boy. Different strokes. 

• Like 1

Those are some good shouts. Old Town Road would definitely have to be on there, I think, and so would Montero.

1 minute ago, The Redeemer CLDY said:

Those are some good shouts. Old Town Road would definitely have to be on there, I think, and so would Montero.

I was restricting myself to 2010-2019 deliberately (to avoid songs that are currently "out"). But yes, Montero belongs on any list for its immediate significance beyond just music. Old Town Road is the climax of years of SoundCloud rap, where Gen Z basically honed its own musical taste outside of corporate shadows.

• Like 1

Get Lucky, Pumped Up Kicks, Somebody that I Used to Know, Lazarus, You Want It Darker - and maybe even a Skrillex song to represent those two/three years of bro dubstep playing everywhere. 

Edit: Finally get to my teenage years and the list ends : ( been a great read anyway, thank you Liam!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Get Lucky, Pumped Up Kicks, Somebody that I Used to Know, Lazarus, You Want It Darker - and maybe even a Skrillex song to represent those two/three years of bro dubstep playing everywhere. 

Yeah I figured there had to be one or two dubstep and one or two other EDM songs represented on a list of this decade. Likewise for K-Pop but perhaps avoiding Gangnam Style since I don't think it's a song you "need to hear".

I pulled out songs I found representative of my own tastes during the decade and that I can critically assess well enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPS said:

Funnily enough, I am in a really shit position to answer this as this was probably around the last time I really, really followed music.

From the metal side of things, you'd probably have to throw in something by Mastodon ('March of the Fire Ants' perhaps) as well as perhaps even including something by Sunn O))) or Deafheaven to highlight the shifting interest into variations of doom and death that have become popular.

15 minutes ago, Gorka said:

Edit: Finally get to my teenage years and the list ends : ( been a great read anyway, thank you Liam!

Cheers for the kind words. I think there is an updated one from...2016 or so...if anyone fancies giving that one a go...

EDIT: Or maybe not. Can't seem to find it.