1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

Didn't expect Mars Volta to be in this at all. It's a nice pick. I'm not a huge fan like some here (love ATDI though). However Deloused in the comatorium is an album I really like. Frances the mute already starts exploring musical routes I don't care much for, but I like this first LP. I like the song they picked too although it wouldn't be my pick.

I can't say I didn't expect Mr Brightside to be here. As predictable as it gets. I like hot fuss and Sam's town and little else from them but this is from when I still liked the Killers and this is a song I still listen to in a somewhat regular basis. 

I think I've mentioned beforehand I've only started caring for pop music in my 30s so even though I had heard most of Britney Spears hits - even if I didn't really want to - back when she was very popular in the late 90s/early 2000s, it wasn't until recently (well, about a decade ago already) I started actually paying attention to her songs. I like some, some I don't. I like this one. I think many people do as well as it has been covered by many artists outside the pop realm.

The other 2 songs in the list aren't for me and I'll let someone else comment on them. :P

I had a huge crush on Britney Spears in junior high and middle school. Me and my friends used to joke about it a lot at the time. I like her music.

The Mars Volta seems like the kind of band I'd be into but I have still never given them a fair shake. 

Not familiar with Mylo.

"Mr. Brightside" was all over the place. I remember that much. I liked it well enough. I remember I couldn't turn FUSE TV on without seeing that music video, or the videos for "Helena" and "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)". Oh and that one Franz Ferdinand song.

That particular Kanye song isn't what I would pick for this, but it's really good! I still contend that College Dropout is a top 3 Kanye album. So many good songs on that album. I still would have chosen "Jesus Walks", though - but maybe that's a cliche pick (and maybe that's exactly why it wasn't picked).

‘Seven Nation Army’, The White Stripes (2003)

Influenced by: Symphony No. 5 in B flat • Anton Bruckner (1878)   

Influence on: It Takes a Seven Nation Army to Hold Us Back • Apathy featuring Emilio Lopez (2004)   

Covered by: Vyvienne Long (2004) • The Flaming Lips (2005) • Hard-Fi (2005) • C. W. Stoneking (2008)

A song that perhaps loses some of its allure due to its ubiquitous nature, ‘Seven Nation Army’ has been an absolute powerhouse in the years since its creation. I do remember listening to it for the first time and being pretty much blown away – relatively simple, but the escalating aggression of the main riff does so much heavy lifting for the tune as a whole. People may have fatigued on it, yet it isn’t hard to see why it made the life.

‘Fix Up, Look Sharp’, Dizzee Rascal (2003)

A choice that I’m sure speaks to the UK-centricness of the book at times, this is a song I absolutely love. Now, this means it is another song that falls into the category of ‘is a rather lame middle aged white man who was expected to like this?’, making me question what people who like this style of garage/grime think about the more commercial take on it. The sample used throughout gives it a rockier edge that I particularly appreciate. In terms of referencing lyrics in my day to day life, there are few that come close to ‘fix up, look sharp’, so the song has that going for it at least…

‘Crazy In Love’, Beyonce featuring Jay-Z (2003)

This is like the better version of ‘Like I Love You’, inasmuch as being a song that effectively launched a solo career off of the back of celebrated group success. However, I do always think that I don’t have the same love for it that you do see some people give it. Still, as a launching pad for the global mega superstardom that Beyonce has since achieved, it was a great starting point.

‘Rebellion (Lies)’, The Arcade Fire (2004)

Influenced by: Transmission • Joy Division (1979)   

Influence on: You’re All I Have • Snow Patrol (2006)  

Covered by: The Penelopes (2008)   

Other key tracks: Brazil (2004) • Wake Up (2004) • Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) (2004) • Crown of Love (2004) • Neighborhood #2 (Laïka) (2004)

Amongst the seemingly more knowing musos around this time period, The Arcade Fire were on everyone’s lips or so it felt. That I’ve never really digged much beyond this song – even though I do enjoy it – does speak a little bit to my own opinion: they can clearly write a song, I’ve just never felt too compelled to listen to anything else off of the back of the rest of what I’ve checked out. There does feel like there is a lot going on in the song, from the various vocals to jangly guitars, all building up to a fun four minutes. That they licensed this to a charity working to quell the spread of AIDS in Africa is worthy of note.

‘Take Me Out’, Franz Ferdinand (2004)

Influenced by: Damaged Goods • Gang of Four (1978)   

Influence on: I Can’t Give You What I Haven’t Got • The Living End (2004)   

Covered by: Scissor Sisters (2004) • Biffy Clyro (2005) • The Magic Numbers (2006) • Guillemots (2006)

To me, this is just good fun. It is a song that I feel gets a bit forgotten at times, mainly when you compare it to other songs of the time period such as ‘Mr Brightside’ and ‘Seven Nation Army’. In the book, the lead singer is quoted as saying how the song did everything a good song shouldn’t do – changing all the time and slowing down – but that was what the band wanted, and it is what makes the song stand out. It lurches all over the place, whilst still maintaining a great hooky chorus. It was, as the band wanted, music to get girls up on the dancefloor, and it still gets me boogying along 17 years later.

• Like 4

I like white stripes. Most of their albums at least. I find this song boring but maybe that has something to do with the fact that is played pretty much everywhere to the point it lost all its meaning, like when you repeat a word over and over until it stops making sense.

Beyonce isn't one of those pop singers I mentioned I started listening at some point. I actually don't mind this song. It's catchy enough. It has also been overplayed (I know this will happen to most hit singles on any major label but some get me tired after a while. This was the case, However I'm ok with it now, probably because it doesn't play that often anymore.

Sometimes you don't like a band at first and then it grows on you. It's weird, but Arcade fire is the opposite. It was a band I used to like but nowadays I'll never listen to any of their albums and I also got way too bored in one of their shows, which is obviously not what you want with this genre. There are still some singles I'm ok listening to now and then, such as this one.

Franz Ferdinand is my personal choice out of this bunch. I still like all their albums, even if not all the songs, and I still like this song. Worst part was having to be reminded this came out 17 years ago when it feels like it wasn't so long ago. Uncalled for. Shame on you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

‘Perfekte Welle’, Juli (2004)

I don’t really get why this is on the list, outside of a suggestion that it revitalised the idea of German bands singing in German. I mean, it is ok enough, but doesn’t really do much for me. It was actually taken off of the radio as it was about a surfer catching a perfect wave, an image that was deemed to be possibly upsetting in the wake of the tsunami that hit Indonesia in the same year. Yeah, not a lot to say really.

‘I Predict A Riot’, Kaiser Chiefs (2004)

Do I think this HAS to be on a list of 1001 songs to listen to before you die? No, not really. Do I enjoy it? Yes. I feel that the appeal of KC might be somewhat UK-centric, especially when it comes to the verse lyrics for this song, but the chorus affords most people a pretty good time…usually depending on how much alcohol they’ve enjoyed by that point.

‘Can’t Stand Me Now’, The Libertines (2004)

Influenced by: Janie Jones • The Clash (1977)   

Influence on: Skag Trendy • The View (2007)  

Covered by: Apache Raid (2009)   

Other key tracks: Cyclops (2004) • Dilly Boys (2004) • Never Never (2004) • What Became of the Likely Lads (2004) • Music When the Lights Go Out (2004)

I struggled for a while to really get the appeal of The Libertines. The songs never particularly stood out for me and most of the appeal seemed to be a desire for a rockstar (in Pete Doherty) that might burn out rather than fade away. However, it did briefly click for me and this was one of the songs that got some decent rotation before I put The Libertines away once again for the last decade. Reading the book, the idea that this was largely recorded at a time when the two men needed security to stop them from beating each other up at least spoke to the validity of the tension explored in the lyrics. The jangly guitars build to a memorable enough chorus in a song that encapsulates a time and a story, yet not much more beyond that for me.

‘Float On’, Modest Mouse (2004)

Influenced by: Monkey Gone to Heaven • Pixies (1989)   

Influence on: Shine a Light • Wolf Parade (2005)   

Covered by: Ben Lee (2004) • Goldspot (2006)  

Other key tracks: I’ve Got It All (Most) (2004) • The World at Large (2004)

I’ve always liked the idea of Modest Mouse more in theory than in practice. Something has never quite clicked for me…apart from ‘Float On’, which is up there amongst my favourite songs of all time. It is another on the list that gets the Rock Band/Guitar Hero push as I often would be found warbling away to the song after have a beer or three and thinking I can song. It shouldn’t really work – the yelpy vocals and the spacey instruments – but when juxtaposed with the gang vocals and that chorus, it all just fits together brilliantly.

‘Jesus of Suburbia’, Green Day

Influenced by: Summer of ’69 • Bryan Adams (1984)   

Influence on: American Eulogy: Mass Hysteria/ Modern World • Green Day (2009)  

Covered by: CMH Band (2007)   

Other key tracks: Boulevard of Broken Dreams (2004) • American Idiot (2004) • Holiday (2004)

I’m a much bigger fan of Green Day’s earlier work, but I feel that there almost needs to be some kudos given for their willingness to break out of their niche and try something different. Whether you thought the politics were a bit much, or the songs a bit long and overbearing (and overplayed), they pretty much shot for the moon and it was a very successful and enduring album (in particular for a subset of alternative music fans who saw something in this pop/punk/rock melange that had something to say). I get its conclusion and I honestly believe it is a good song, though the mileage for many will vary just as the song moves between its five different parts.

• Like 2

Okay this list has definitely slid into the point where they were absolutely trying to guess which songs from the mid-00s would stand the test of time. Nobody has thought of Kaiser Chiefs in about 15 years. Likewise for The Libertines. Not the best Green Day inclusion though this is from their creative apex. I'll let "Float On" in a list like this because it was everywhere for a few years and remains on the playlist of retail establishments.

The Juli song is a new one for me and while not bad feels like they were grasping for straws to pick something.

What's really the most obvious point to make here is they keep going into the rock well when there's a fuckton of other genres having golden ages at this same point in time that are being largely ignored besides maybe one inclusion.

• Like 3

Just now, damshow said:

Okay this list has definitely slid into the point where they were absolutely trying to guess which songs from the mid-00s would stand the test of time. Nobody has thought of Kaiser Chiefs in about 15 years. Likewise for The Libertines. 

I've actually seen the Kaiser Chiefs live recently and still listen to them often enough. There are bands, the 15 years thing would apply. In my case this is definitely not one of them. I also feel they are still big enough in some circles.

I don't like everything they ever did, and some albums are just boring to me as a whole. But I like some. I like this one, and the song as well.

The Libertines could be a case for me. I liked their first album and then they quickly faded away from my playlists. At the time this one came out, I already didn't care much for them and I still don't.

Modest Mouse is a band I don't think I'll ever try to check live again because I got bored to the point of changing shows during their set, which is something I don't do often. To be fair, I didn't like them much, but there were some songs I liked, and when you're in a festival, you just pick something. I'm not a huge fan of the song either.

Green Day is one of those bands I loved when I was eleven, then got tired of them by the time I was 18, and started listening to them again n my 30s. I also prefer their older, simpler, stuff, but understand why the picked something from this album, knowing how successful it was with the younger (at the time :P ) generations. I like their pick. Don't love it, but I like it.

I think that mid-00s indie period is quite similar to Britpop in that certainly in the UK there were some big hits that I'm unlikely to listen to again (or at least often. Kaiser Chiefs are very much my Oasis in that respect), but there are some lovely deep cuts that are likely to be missed here. I demand Late of the Pier.

Also, if we're going German I want this instead:

https://youtu.be/GW-ojhMZty4

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Colly said:

I think that mid-00s indie period is quite similar to Britpop in that certainly in the UK there were some big hits that I'm unlikely to listen to again (or at least often. Kaiser Chiefs are very much my Oasis in that respect), but there are some lovely deep cuts that are likely to be missed here. I demand Late of the Pier.

Also, if we're going German I want this instead:

https://youtu.be/GW-ojhMZty4

Nice request, but doubt they'll be in here.

• 2 weeks later...

‘Mein Teil’, Rammstein (2004)

Influenced by: Just One Fix • Ministry (1992)   

Influence on: Blood • Emigrate (2007)   

Covered by: Hayseed Dixie (2007) • Panzerballett (2009)   

Other key tracks: Keine Lust (2004) • Amerika (2004) • Ohne dich (2004)

It doesn’t particularly surprise me to see a Rammstein track end up on the list, considering how successful they have become globally with songs that are in German. However, I’m surprised that this song ended up here – I perhaps would have expected ‘Du Hast’, as that felt like the song that really sent them into the wider public conscious. The lyrical content perhaps explains its choice, focusing on the real life story of a cannibal who ate the penis of another man, though this did also warrant them a Grammy nomination. I think there are better songs in their back catalogue, yet this does do exactly what you’d expect of the band – catchy, aggressive, music to nod your head to.

‘Portland, Oregon’, Loretta Lynn featuring Jack White (2004)

An interesting duet here that is another one based on a real-life story, this time of Lynn pretending to have an affair in order to get the attention of her husband, who threatened violence upon the not just the man who slept with his wife, but Lynn as well. There is a pleasing retro-ness to the song that I like, helped by the use of the slide guitar by White in particular. This choice feels like a celebration of a collision of two musical forces, rather than anything more, but it is a song I leave having at least enjoyed it and valued its inclusion.

‘Points of Authority…’, Jay Z featuring Linkin Park (2004)

Speaking of musical collaborations and collisions… this was an interesting new take on the rap/rock hybrid that had been mined ever since the 80s Run DMC-era. Linkin Park’s nu-metal leanings meant that they already had DJ and rap stylings, so hooking up with Jay-Z who had already showcased an interest in harder/rockier sounds over his career wasn’t at all surprising. A live show that documented it all made it even more exciting and notable than if the two had just slung out an EP and left it at that. An inclusion that affords an interesting window into the music of the time, even though I’m not sure it holds up over time – it is still fun, but the novelty does unsurprisingly wear thing.

‘The Art Teacher’, Rufus Wainwright (2004)

Wainwright is always going to be a ‘your mileage may vary’ type act for me. He has such a distinctive voice that if you aren’t sold on his style, you won’t enjoy what he offers whatsoever. As for me, I’m partial to a bit of singer/songwriter music, so whilst it is at the outer boundaries of what I might listen to, I can enjoy a Wainwright song from time to time. The book talks about how this was recorded live on stage, whilst the lyrics about unrequited love perhaps hit harder coming from a gay man in particular. The sparse instrumentation really lets Wainwright’s vocals and lyrics to shine, for good or bad depending on how that works for you. I like it though.

'Dry Your Eyes', The Streets (2004)

A Grand Don’t Come For Free, the concept album that this is taken from, is probably top ten albums of all time for me. That I was probably the most into alternative, metal and rock I have ever been at the time this album dropped highlights the strength – at least in my opinion – of the music on offer, as it transcended my own interests and I pretty much loved it all from start to finish. Taking the concept album from its usually epic roots to a more everyday tale of money, love and drugs, the album builds to ‘Dry Your Eyes’, a genuinely emotive point within the story of loss and ultimate redemption. The soaring strings and mid-song break for Mike Skinner to lay out his feelings at that moment all help create a song that still gets traction for all the right reasons in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Loudon Wainwright III. I like a little of Martha Wainwright's stuff. I've even listened to some Lucy Wainwright Roche.

But Rufus, I just can't really get into. I dunno what it is. Maybe he sounds too serious for me? One of the things I like about his dad's stuff is that is that there's humour in it.

• Like 1

‘Chicago’, Sufjan Stevens (2005)

‘Illinois is one of my favourite albums of all time, even though I am well aware that there are a fair few people who won’t really care for Stevens’ style of singer/songwriter work. However, I do feel that it is hard not to appreciate the compositional skill on show in ‘Chicago’, the best song on the album by some distance. Layered, stirring, and busy, Stevens created a rousing tune that is also very catchy throughout. Strong work.

‘Todo cambia’, Mercedes Sosa (2005)

Unlike some of the ‘world music’ choices, this isn’t on the list necessarily as an indicative representation of a song style, more so due to what it represents. Initially written by Julio Numhauser, a leftwing musician who had to flee Chile in the 70s, it was then covered by many, including Sosa, a woman who had to flee Argentina also in the 70s. Therefore, it was a perfect marrying of artist and writer, both able to empathise with the lyrics about the constancy of love against an ever changing world. A symbolic choice and a decent enough song.

‘I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor’, The Arctic Monkeys (2005)

Influenced by: Disco 2000 • Pulp (1995)   

Influence on: The Age of the Understatement • The Last Shadow Puppets (2008)   

Covered by: Sugababes (2006) • Tom Jones & Joe Perry (2007)   

Other key track: Fake Tales of San Francisco (2005)

The relative interest/importance of The Arctic Monkeys may be a little lost on non-UK music fans. Ultimately, what makes them an interesting proposition for me is how they were the first of many bands who were able to channel the power of the internet to create a fanbase that eventually led to significant wider success. When coupled with a keen eye for a pop hook, a very Sheffield vocal delivery, and wry observational lyrics, the Monkeys blasted onto the scene and this is a perfect three minute encapsulation of what they offered. There are better songs on their first album, but this was the one that launched them into the public conscious so fair play.

‘Hard To Beat’, Hard-Fi (2005)

Influenced by: Music Sounds Better with You • Stardust (1998)   

Influence on: Vogue vs. Hard to Beat • Madonna vs. Hard-Fi (2006)  

Covered by: Studio Group (2006)

This feels like a bad choice to me. Very UK-centric, no lasting legacy, not even a particularly big song at the time from my remembrance. The musical equivalent of the shrug emoji.

‘Fix You’, Coldplay (2005)

Whilst I’m not their biggest fan, I do think Coldplay occasionally get a bit of a rough ride from some people. What they contribute is largely inoffensive pop music for the masses and there are many worse bands out there. This is an unsurprising choice considering how huge it is as a media entity – it must have been in a shit load of television shows and films over the years – and it is pleasant enough sentimentally, but it isn’t exactly a song that would win over non-Coldplay fans. Your mileage may vary, yet it earned its place on the list I feel.

• Like 1

I hate that Arctic Monkeys song largely because I've seen far too many posh southerners do it on karaoke and put on the shittest attempt at a Sheffield accent to sing it.

32 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I hate that Arctic Monkeys song largely because I've seen far too many posh southerners do it on karaoke and put on the shittest attempt at a Sheffield accent to sing it.

Once had a friend's band cover it, with the singer pronouncing Montagues as Monta-gays. Not a big Shakespearean apparently.

• Like 2

I didn't have to deal with a bunch of posh southerners putting on a shit attempt at a Sheffield accent so I love that song.

A note on them not being as relevant to non uk listeners. Maybe not from the get go (whatever people say I am that's what I'm not) but later on they got huge in Europe and I remember them being quite big in Australia too at some point.

A lot more than many other bands n this list so far.

Personally im a big fan of their first two (mostly this first one) but everything else they did just isn't for me.

I remember really liking that Hard Fi song at the time (I'll have been 21 and spending most weekends at indie clubs so from that perspective it was a banger), but could happily never hear it again. At the risk of repeating myself their were some great bands in that period but this list is doing a good job of missing them.

Regards Arctic Monkeys however I can understand why it's there. I do think their "internet band" status was overstated though, certainly round our way they grew by word of mouth and a lot of graft, they'd played Middlesbrough at least three times before that single came out. Again loved it at the time, but vastly prefer their later stuff now, Suck it and See is a great album.

2 hours ago, Malenko said:

A note on them not being as relevant to non uk listeners. Maybe not from the get go (whatever people say I am that's what I'm not) but later on they got huge in Europe and I remember them being quite big in Australia too at some point.

Imagine my surprise about six months ago when I found the music video for "Do I Wanna Know?" has a billion views on YouTube. 

AM was a really big break for them abroad, from what I've heard.

Arctic Monkeys were big in the US for a period of time as well. "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" was all over the place here, I remember seeing the video on MTV2, FUSE, etc over and over. Can't say it really tickled me then, still doesn't really do anything for me now. Can't say any of those 00s indie rock bands from the UK ever piqued my interest, there were a handful of songs by The Libertines I liked but I only checked them out because of someone on here and all the stories and posts I'd read about Pete Doherty. 

I really liked Arctic Monkeys when they first came out. Over here they were lumped in with the big wave of indie and post-punk revival bands that all basically got their moment in the sun between 2004-2007ish. I definitely think that song is worthy of its inclusion on this list if not for being a fun tune but because it captures a really specific time in rock music. I think it's one of the standouts of that era.

Likewise for the really big singer-songwriter indie wave from that same time and "Chicago". What a song. Sufjan was onto something really special back then.

The rest feels like a lot of "let's just hedge our bets with these songs standing the test of time" choices. There are drastically better Coldplay songs. So be it. We're at that point in this book.

‘Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death From Above’, CSS (2005)

I think I actually know more songs by Death From Above than I do CSS, but that’s largely irrelevant. I was expecting to know this when I heard it, yet it didn’t stand out to me at all – I assumed it would have been played at the various poncey Indy club nights I used to attend at this point in my life. Not sure exactly what makes this make the list, though it is a playful, jaunty little tune to go along with a fun, jaunty little video. Again, snapshot of the time song choice perhaps?

‘Best of You’, Foo Fighters (2005)

Influenced by: Something I Learned Today • Hüsker Dü (1984)   

#Influence on: Armor and Sword • Rush (2007)   

Covered by: Pieter Embrechts, Thomas De Prins & The New Radio Kings (2009)   

Other key track: Friend of a Friend (2005)

This feels like a ‘getting the Foo Fighters on the list’-type selection. When I initially thought of what I might have included by the band, I definitely thought they had a number of better songs than this, yet this did feel like probably their biggest song in terms of the mainstream so I guess it makes sense. That FF are diminishing returns in the last fifteen years or so might cloud some views on this inclusion, but I get the desire to include a song by a band who have been a big deal for as many years as the Foos have.

‘Hoppipolla’, Sigur Ros (2005)

Influenced by: Wake Up • Arcade Fire (2004)   

Influence on: Poppiholla • Chicane (2009)   

Covered by: We Are Scientists (2006) • Wenzel Templeton & Robert Pegg (2008) • Vitamin String Quartet (2009)

This is a beautiful song and a great choice for the list, if only for how ubiquitous this song became when ‘Takk’ was released. The book reveals that this song had the working title of ‘The Money Song’, so the band definitely seemed to know what they had created, whilst ‘Hoppipolla’ itself translates to ‘jumping in puddles’ – the more you know. The swirling rhythms and crescendos feel like they were built to soundtrack epic moments, something that they will ultimately do for (probably) years to come.

(had to go with a live version as Youtube didn't let me embed another version)

‘Hope There’s Someone’, Anthony and the Johnsons (2005)

Influenced by: In This Hole • Cat Power (2000)   

Influence on: We’re All Going to Die • Malcolm Middleton (2007)   

Other key tracks: You Are My Sister (2005) • Fistful of Love (2005) • Free at Last (2005) • For Today I Am a Boy (2005) • Spiralling (2005)

This is an interesting choice. I went through a spell where I absolutely loved this song, from the otherworldly delivery to the dark lyrical content, but your mileage may vary on the overall package I feel. That Anthony and the Johnsons had a brief moment of real success is heartening though, as it – to me – shows that real talent (Anthony has a great voice, no question in my opinion) can be recognised whilst staying true to what makes that person or band themselves.

‘Welcome to Jamrock’, Damien Marley (2005)

Influenced by: World-A-Music • Ini Kamoze (1984)   

Influence on: Stand Up Jamrock • Bob Marley (2005)  

Covered by: DJ Shepdog (2009)  

Other key tracks: The Master Has Come Back (2005) • Road to Zion (2005) • Confrontation (2005) • Pimpa’s Paradise (2005) • Hey Girl (2005)

I feel Damien Marley definitely at least deserves a lot of kudos for managing to form a successful career outside of the shadow of his father. As for this song, it is really not my area of expertise, yet it was a song I was aware of which speaks to how it had crossover appeal during this time period. Add two Grammys to the mix and I can see why this ended up getting the nod over some other songs from this time period.

• Like 1