What games did you play today?

Benji

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

been playing Unpacking lately. It was free on PS+, and I picked it up as it's the kind of cosy game my girlfriend likes, and ended up playing it because I had a bit of time spare before having to head to the airport, and didn't want anything that would tax my brain too much.

I absolutely love it. It is relaxing, but for a game of just moving objects around with almost no text, and no visible characters, I found it surprisingly emotional. Each level is a new living space that the central character is moving into, and you get a real sense of the person you are just from the objects they own, what they take with them from each previous home, and what new additions get added to the mix. There's a run of like three levels that were an emotional rollercoaster for me.

Unpacking was wonderful, loved how it had that sort of impactful story without really doing anything.

2 hours ago, apsham said:

The bit where 

Reveal hidden contents

Was a very good piece of storytelling that foreshadowed future events.

That and the following level were what really hit me, as a one-two punch.

• Like 1

On 17/10/2023 at 23:25, Schlitzbrille said:

Block B tomorrow

nvm the tomorrow nonsense :shifty:

Block A final standings:

• Starlight Kid (12 pts)
  • Giulia (10 pts)
  • Hana Kimura (10 pts)
  • Mayu Iwatani (8 pts)
  • Saki Kashima (4 pts) (literally playing favorites here can't be assed at the moment to work out who goes where properly :shifty:, victories were over AZM and Kagetsu)
  • Utami Hayashishita (4 pts) (victories over Kashima and Kagetsu)
  • AZM (4 pts) (victories over Utami and Kagetsu)
  • Kagetsu (4 pts) (victories over Starlight Kid and Iwatani)

Block B:

• Jungle Kyona (10 pts)
  • Hazuki (10 pts)
  • Andras Miyagi (8 pts)
  • Tam Nakano (8 pts, get it right game Andras has the tiebreaker win even though Tam wins on theme song :angry:)
  • Bea Priestley (6 pts)
  • Momo Watanabe (6 pts)
  • Konami (4 pts)
  • Natsuko Tora (4 pts)

FINALS: 
Starlight Kid def. Jungle Kyona via that cool AF swivel frog splash in 15:14 to claim the World of Stardom Championship

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I am a fucking idiot, because when I thought a) "why not dip back into Europa Universalis IV, and b) "let's go achievement hunting - ooh, the never did the Restore Rome as Byzantium one" ...I somehow managed to time this whim to align perfectly with EU4's 1.36 patch, aka the "let's nerf Byzantium harder than it was already nerfed" patch.

Still, here I am. If I ever survive my first Ottomans war it will be a miracle.

Edit: NEVER MIND ALL THAT, my copy of Persona 5 Tactica just arrived in the post two days early. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

Apparently I am a fucking idiot, because when I thought a) "why not dip back into Europa Universalis IV, and b) "let's go achievement hunting - ooh, the never did the Restore Rome as Byzantium one" ...I somehow managed to time this whim to align perfectly with EU4's 1.36 patch, aka the "let's nerf Byzantium harder than it was already nerfed" patch.

Edit: NEVER MIND ALL THAT, my copy of Persona 5 Tactica just arrived in the post two days early. 

Boo! I am jealous!

5 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I wish I was better at understanding Paradox games because they seem so fun, but for some reason I just never can get into them :(

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Benji said:

I wish I was better at understanding Paradox games because they seem so fun, but for some reason I just never can get into them :(

It really seems like pot luck whethet anyone's able to get into any of their games tbh. I wish I could get into Crusader Kings but I can't. I've been playing EU since the original version of it, so I've got years of familiarity to build on...

...And I'm still not very good. 😂 I read/hear people online say "oh yeah world conquest is easy enough, just pretty tedious". I'm like IS IT?!?

State of Decay 2.

Cleared the blood plague hearts off the current map. Managed to build quite a team so far. Sure some will be added to my legacy pool for another playthrough with them.

The updates have made the game very enjoyable. The curveballs really make you have to think what is best and manage what it throws at you. It is a lot more fun than it was at launch in 2018 and a lot of the game has changed since then. Mentioned that the other week on about this game in another thread. 

Anyway have started a new community as I made some mistakes and want to use my set of survivors and skip the tutorial. Aiming to beat it again so I can get the benefits again. Had not managed to do that on this last playthrough. 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 19:55, Bobfoc said:

I've been playing Civilization since the first one and still have to go with the lower difficulty settings.

Civ II for me, buit I tend to set it on Prince and just have an even playing field because they've never mastered making it actually more difficult with the AI, they instead just give the AI headstarts, which feels cheap.

• Like 3

The only thing that forced me to get better at Civ was multiplayer gaming. Shook me out of my comfort zone.

Despite that, I still struggle because I'm stuck in the trap of never being able to fight wars against my human opponents, since they all have slightly better computers and get a bullshit advantage on being able to attack first on all the 'simultaneous' turns.

24 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I think I just don't like fighting much in Civ. I enjoy building up my infrastructure and making something nice. It's a bit like my version of Minecraft, given my lack of creativity.

One of my favorite things to do in Civ is to just spend time looking at my nation, zooming the camera in and going from city to city via roads or rivers (or whatever natural path I assume my citizens) take and just imagining what life in every city is like

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Yep, that's exactly the kind of mellow, pleasant experience that you're going to have to discard if you want to win. :lol:

Not for me! I play against the AI :P I don't think I could handle online multiplayer with people I didn't know for Civ. 

• Like 1

For many years my attitude was not to start a war, but anyone who attacked I would make sure I eliminated them. These days I am much more protectionist of my area and resources, and I'll generally attack the biggest dog in the fight because there's nothing worse than being late game and not having the military to prevent an opponent reaching literally any other kind of victory.

I believ Civ 6 claimed to have fixed that late game "wait to win" style by shaking things up, but I've never got far enough to find out because 5 remains the absolute Emperor of the series for me.

• Like 1