What games did you play today?

Benji

The Show 23 RTTS as a slick fielding 2B who can make pretty nice contact. 

Forza Horizon 5 really enjoying the Caddy CT5 Blackwing, rally adventure will have a little more staying power than hot wheels for me. 

GTAO because why not. Making the various freeroam business available in invite only made the game more enjoyable for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was having trouble getting Demon's Souls to start on my Steam Deck so I figured I'd try it on my laptop for the hell of it, actually runs okay even after tinkering a little bit so it doesn't look quite as rough. Dropped a little bit in places but seemed to be hitting 60fps for the most part, albeit I've only tested Boletarian Palace. Even beat the tutorial boss which I don't think I ever did when the game was new, though I probably only started the game a handful of times and probably just let him kill me just so I could get to the main game. Nice that you get a few bits and pieces for killing it and, whilst I've heard about what happens afterwards, it's neat to actually see it for once and it was kind of amusing.

Not sure if I'd actually do a full playthrough, I'm unlikely to get a PS5 anytime soon so I'm not going to be playing the remaster but there's a lot of QoL stuff that came in the later FromSoft games whose absence was annoying me the last time I played this a few years back, and that's without something like Elden Ring that took out the stamina consumption when outside of combat. I've seen there's mods now so maybe there's something amongst those than would be interesting.

I played Ten Dates it's an FMV game which is basically just a night of speed dating. You advance more if you hit it off with someone. I played once and ended up with who I wanted so I'll probably just leave it at that. I guess I technically completed it but I didn't feel right putting this one in there :P 

• Like 3

On 20/03/2023 at 05:30, Skummy said:

I've been playing Horizon: Forbidden West. It's been long enough since I played Zero Dawn that it all feels the right combination of new and familiar, without treading over old ground. The story so far isn't quite as compelling, in terms of pushing me on to figure out what happened in the past, but it's interesting enough to keep me guessing, and I still love the combat in these games even if I'm not great when it comes to anything more advanced than "keep hoying arrows at them til their dead".

Trying to sneak into rebel camps and kill everyone without being spotted is the kind of occasional stealth gameplay I love, and last night (after three attempts) I (at level 24) managed to kill a Shellsnapper, which thus far has been the hardest machine I've encountered (I've stayed clear of the Thunderjaw). It took a long time, and only a slightly more advanced strategy than "keep hoying arrows", in that I focused my efforts on attacking the shell clamps to remove part of the outer shell, then rained fire arrows down on him to do more damage once he was exposed. Given that he's not remotely attached to the plot, and there were still other machines nearby I needed to finish off once I was done with him, it was a bit of an anticlimactic feel having beaten him, though I managed to bring down a nearby drone at least.

I had the same feelings about the story and then it seemed to really pick up and grab me maybe halfway through. Hopefully it does the same for you! 

Since I can't seem to convince myself to spend $60 for Skyrim on Switch, I spent $15 on KOTOR 2 and started it today. Went lightside on my KOTOR 1 play through, I'm thinking I'm going darkside for this one.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing a bunch of KOTOR 2 lately. I've always liked some of the mechanics better then in KOTOR 1, but the story just doesn't hold the same replay value to me that the first one did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

Been playing a bunch of KOTOR 2 lately. I've always liked some of the mechanics better then in KOTOR 1, but the story just doesn't hold the same replay value to me that the first one did.

Have you been using the Restored Content Mod? I've found that the more complete version of KOTOR 2 has more things to go back to and try in different ways. While KOTOR has a nice, traditional "good versus evil" plot, I've come to prefer the sequel's more nuanced take on morality in the Star Wars universe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Have you been using the Restored Content Mod? I've found that the more complete version of KOTOR 2 has more things to go back to and try in different ways. While KOTOR has a nice, traditional "good versus evil" plot, I've come to prefer the sequel's more nuanced take on morality in the Star Wars universe.

Unfortunately, I'm playing on the Switch, so no mods. They were supposed to release it as DlC, but I think it was canceled. 

• Sad 3

On 29/05/2023 at 03:23, Pooker said:

Unfortunately, I'm playing on the Switch, so no mods. They were supposed to release it as DlC, but I think it was canceled. 

The cancellation has now been made official, with people who bought the game on Switch getting a choice of free games as compensation.

I've been hearing a lot of worrying stories about Aspyr. The KOTOR remake is apparently progressing very poorly, and it's not a good sign that they can't port over years-old content that they announced months ago.

8 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The cancellation has now been made official, with people who bought the game on Switch getting a choice of free games as compensation.

I've been hearing a lot of worrying stories about Aspyr. The KOTOR remake is apparently progressing very poorly, and it's not a good sign that they can't port over years-old content that they announced months ago.

Thanks for the update. Figured it was coming. Rumor is that the DLC has been done, but they couldn't release it and can't say one. Oh well, just submitted my request for the Force Unleashed.

Got Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 from GamePass. It's certainly a simulator, but lacks the charm of Power Wash and Lawn Mowing, going the more Cooking route of being exact to real life with not much else. For example, you can't change a brake pad until you've raised the car, removed the wheel and removed the brake caliper first.

Still, it should pass some time, and I can still do some Power Washing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Played a great game on NBA 2k23 last night in myleague with the Utah Jazz vs Portland Blazers. I was the Jazz, went up by 5 early, down by 20 in the second, fought back in the third and fourth, eventually getting the lead before Portland tied it with 8 seconds left. I called a timeout to advance the ball, drove in with Jordan Clarkson, kicked the ball out to Markkanen for a 3. He missed, by my power forward grabbed the rebound, and laid it in the hoop with 0.2 seconds, game ending as the ball hit the net.

Elsewhere, I finished KOTOR 2, remembering why I didn't like the ending so long ago, and still don't like it. I started The Force Unleashed on the Switch and Diablo II on the Xbox as well.

So I've been playing Dark Souls 3 for the first time recently, one of the few Soulsborne games I hadn't played (with the others now being Sekiro and Demons Souls remake). Interesting to see stuff like the weapon skills and estus allocation in that game when I had just assumed they were new for Elden Ring. Game is like 7 years old at this point but still looks amazing, obviously we had another leap of sorts with Elden Ring (though it was still in that middle ground of being both last and current gen) but looks like they were really able to utilise going into the PS4/Xbone era.

Though, somewhat embarrasingly it took what must be like half the game for me to reaslise how to increase the potency of the Estus Flask. I found a Fire Keeper Soul which did nothing, then found the bone shard thing which it mentioned burning in the fire at firelink and the item mentioned boosting the estus recovery, for some reason I likened it in my head to increasing the number of recharges like in 1 or boosting the difficulty like in 2. Ended up going from Estus +0 to Estus +6 in one go.

• 2 weeks later...

Been rotating between The Crew: Motorfest beta, FH5 and GTAO. I think Motorfest has a good chance of being a quality Forza Horizon alternative. 

• Like 1

"I've got a shitload of games to play that I never get around to and a week off, I should play some of them."

And that's got I am going to reach total hour 500 of playing Civ 5 this week even though I have numerous other games to play including it's sequel and newer imitators.

• Like 4