Humankind

Benji

Anyone else played this? I bought the entire game and DLC over the weekend for £30 and it's great. It takes a lot of what makes Civ great, simplifies it, and comes out with something just Civ enough for fans to enjoy.

Had a few false starts learning the mechanics but am now half way through my first game proper and love the way it handles ages by giving you different cultures to develop into and through. So far I was Olmec in Ancient Era for influence and food, Maya in classical to build my industry and faith a little, and Ghanian in Medieval to get my gold pumping as I've managed to invest a bunch into other people's luxuries. Plus I've taken a couole of "independent nations" (city states of the game) by force and gained enemy territory by my culture. Meanwhile in a Civ game I'd have just spent the first few eras trying to get stable enough to wage war now it's the medieval era.

In particular the start of the game is very cool as you start off hunter gathering to make outposts and the like, which makes the early game much more important and interesting than building the same stuff over and over and resource hording like Civ has.

Worth a shot for any 4x style game fans.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Benji said:

Anyone else played this? I bought the entire game and DLC over the weekend for £30 and it's great. It takes a lot of what makes Civ great, simplifies it, and comes out with something just Civ enough for fans to enjoy.

Had a few false starts learning the mechanics but am now half way through my first game proper and love the way it handles ages by giving you different cultures to develop into and through. So far I was Olmec in Ancient Era for influence and food, Maya in classical to build my industry and faith a little, and Ghanian in Medieval to get my gold pumping as I've managed to invest a bunch into other people's luxuries. Plus I've taken a couole of "independent nations" (city states of the game) by force and gained enemy territory by my culture. Meanwhile in a Civ game I'd have just spent the first few eras trying to get stable enough to wage war now it's the medieval era.

In particular the start of the game is very cool as you start off hunter gathering to make outposts and the like, which makes the early game much more important and interesting than building the same stuff over and over and resource hording like Civ has.

Worth a shot for any 4x style game fans.

I was a pre-order guy for Humankind. I loved Endless Space and this was described as their Magnum Opus so I was sold from that alone.

I have liked the game but not totally loved it.

I like most of the mechanics such as the changing cultures, the independent peoples, and the way military battles are done.

I think what is hanstringing my enjoyment of it is I feel like the game lacks character. In Civ 6 I felt as if different towns and regions ended up having their own character, the civic cards gave government character, and the religious aspect feels much more fleshed out than Humankind. One of my favorite things to do in Civ is to immerse myself in imagining what life in my country/empire/etc. is like and I dont feel likeI have been able to do that as much in Humankind.

I still plan on getting the DLC and want to see what else they have planned for the game of course.

I'd been thinking about giving this a go. I've gotten a lot more free time than normal recently and may do just that.

• Like 1