The Transfer Thread

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle are reported to have had a bid for Ajax defender Hatem Trabelsi turned down by the Dutch giants.

The Tunisian defender's future is up in the air at present after he lost his court case against the club to allow him to leave on a free transfer this summer.

Trabelsi claimed he should be allowed to leave on a free transfer in the summer, but Ajax insisted they had an option in place to extend his contract until the summer of 2006.

Trabelsi will not be allowed to leave on a free transfer, but Ajax could be willing to sell him as they are unlikely to want to keep an unsettled player at the Amsterdam ArenA.

Newcastle are now thought to be hoping to take the highly-rated full back to St James' Park and help end the bad blood between the player and Ajax.

The Magpies are in the market for a new right back and have been linked with a number of players including Danny Mills, Mark Delaney and Mario Melchiot.

Trabelsi is now thought to be their top target and they have held talks with Ajax for the African.

Although Ajax want to end their association with the player after all that has gone on, they are still looking for a substantial offer for the full back.

Newcastle would probably have to pay a large part of their transfer kitty on Trabelsi and both clubs are continuing talks over a deal

Source

Boumsong dreams of England

Rangers signing Jean-Alain Boumsong has told BBC Sport that he was disappointed a move to Liverpool fell through.

The defender, who is in the France squad for Euro 2004 said: "I wanted to go to Liverpool because they are a good club - they were my first choice.

"But in the end Gerard Houllier didn't want to make the deal. It was a disappointment but I'm happy to go to Scotland and play for Rangers.

"It is my dream to play in the English Premiership one day."

:lol: Another Rangers player who couldn't give a shit about them.

I expected Dublin to opt a move to Coventry. Coventry were reportedly interested in aquiring him.

Leeds are swapping Duberry for Butler, too.

WHO???

Who is Butler, last i heard Duberry joined Wolves, i may be wrong though

In the most unlikely rumour for a while:

15 Jun - Everton are looking at signing Freddie Kanoute (who doesn't get on at all well with new Tottenham manager Santini, apparently) for £4m and defender Dean Richards for £1.5m according to "my mate's a Spurs supporter" rumours.

Toffeeweb.com

Not going to happen, for so many reasons.

Moyes eyes Matteo

Matteo is a product of Liverpool's School of Excellence

Everton boss David Moyes has hinted he could make a bid to sign central defender Dominic Matteo from Leeds.

Matteo has two years left on his current Leeds contract but may decide to move after the Elland Road club's relegation from the Premiership.

"He's one of a number of players we are interested in," Moyes told his club's official website. "We are keeping an eye on his situation."

Matteo began his career at fellow Merseyside club Liverpool.

We badly need a defender after missing out on Laursen.

Oh, and Radzinski + cash to Fulham in return for Sean Davis. You heard it here first.

CURBS PLAYS DOWN KANU RUMOURS

Monday 14th June 2004

Charlton boss Alan Curbishley has played down reports that he is interested in signing former Arsenal striker Kanu.

The Nigerian international is looking for a new club after being released by Arsenal last week.

Kanu is believed to be keen on staying in England but Curbishley revealed he will not be making a move for the skilful forward.

"Kanu's available and we all know a lot about him but there's nothing in that at the moment," Curbishley told the club's official website.

"But we've been linked with lots of players and that's the way it is at the moment, there's not much business being done and newspapers have to write about something."

Curbishley revealed he was hoping to bring in at least three players for next season and admitted he has already tied two deals up.

"I want to bring another two to three players in for sure. We know who they are, it's just a question of trying to get it done before the window closes," added Curbishley.

"We've signed three players already, one you know about - the Danish number two goalkeeper Stephan Andersen - and we've signed two others that can't be announced until July 1st."

CREDIT - Planet Football

Oh, and Radzinski + cash to Fulham in return for Sean Davis.  You heard it here first.

I personally think that'd be an awful deal. Radzinski is one of your best forwards, if not the best. His pace is hard for a lot of people to deal with, I don't understand why Moyes doesn't play him more.

Campbell is past it now, Ferguson is prone to injury and suspension, McFadden never seems to get a run as a forward and Rooney can go off the boil. I think Everton need Radzinski.

That's not to say that Davis wouldn't be a good signing though. I just think Everton should try and make it cash only.

I personally think that'd be an awful deal. Radzinski is one of your best forwards, if not the best. His pace is hard for a lot of people to deal with, I don't understand why Moyes doesn't play him more.

Campbell is past it now, Ferguson is prone to injury and suspension, McFadden never seems to get a run as a forward and Rooney can go off the boil. I think Everton need Radzinski.

That's not to say that Davis wouldn't be a good signing though. I just think Everton should try and make it cash only.

Radzinski is one of our best forwards, but he's asked for a transfer, and seen as though his contract expires next summer, we've got to sell him now or January to stop him going for free. Midfield and defence are where we really need signings, because we have Rooney, McFadden (who was excellent v Spurs as a forward), Ferguson and Nick Chadwick to play upfront.

And Everton...cash only? You must be thinking of a team with a pot to piss in.

• Admin

Blackburn Sign De Pedro

Blackburn have signed Real Sociedad's Javier de Pedro on a two-year contract.

Boss Graeme Souness switched his attentions to the 30-year-old Spanish international after ending his interest in Morten Gamst Pedersen.

Souness told the club's website: "The only reason he hasn't signed a new contract with Sociedad is because he's had a fall out with them.

"De Pedro is a proven player at the highest level and he is someone our fans should be very excited about."

Souness added: "He's got terrific ability with his left foot and two seasons ago he had the most assists in the Spanish League."

De Pedro, who has been capped 20 times by Spain, turned down offers from several clubs in his homeland to opt for a move to Rovers.

Blackburn chief executive John Williams told BBC Radio Lancashire that the club hoped to bring in one more player before the start of the season.

He said: "It's our second signing and I did say in a letter to our season ticket holders that they could expect a couple of new faces.

"Paul Dickov and Javier De Pedro are two faces and I'm not certain we are done yet.

"We'd certainly like to bring in one more player but I expect some to leave as well. Transfer funds are tight and it's necessary to fund some deals with outgoing moves."

Credit: BBC

Finally, a left footed left winger. Even though we seem to be flooding the midfield instead of the defence.

Thursday's Rumours

Today's Rumours are struggling to stay interested

Lawrence Booth

Thursday June 17, 2004

joaquin1.jpg

Joaquin: NOT going to Chelsea.

You would have thought that with all kinds of battles going on the Portuguese riviera - to say nothing of Euro 2004 - the tabloids would have no time for transfer tittle-tattle. Far from it! This morning's gossip rags are chockful of whispers and innuendo, and some of them might even contain a smidgin of truth.

Let's begin with a Chelsea don't-get-who-they-want shock. Real Betis are said to have rejected their 53rd offer for winger Joaquin, despite the fact that Peter Kenyon has been steadily increasing the bid in increments of 20p. Expect another handful of loose change to be showered in Betis's direction before the day is out.

Middlesbrough are putting it about too and, in a double-whammy of Heskey-Gerrard proportions, are set to secure the signatures of Mark Viduka and Nicky Butt. Both men are available at £4m, although Viduka, who is currently sunning it up on the Dalmatian coast, has nobly agreed to take a pay cut. To £50,000 a week. Butt would complete his move before the end of Euro 2004.

But it's not all good news for Steve McLaren's men. For one thing, they could lose Gareth Southgate to Spurs. For another, their attempts to sign Michael Reiziger from Barcelona are being scuppered by Valencia. Boro reckon they can attract Reiziger because they will be playing Uefa Cup football next season. Valencia reckon they can attract him because they're really quite good.

Liverpool are fighting the good fight on two fronts at the moment. On the one side, they're playing tug-of-war with Manchester United over Spanish winger Vicente Rodriguez. On t'other, there is a battle with Spurs over Jermaine Pennant. "About 80% of Premiership clubs have enquired about him," said a "pal" of Pennant in the Sun. Say no more.

What else? Well, Marcel Desailly is in talks with Marseille, who might be able to save his creaking limbs from humiliation in the Premiership next season. The fact that Desailly's former agent Pape Diouf is now general manager at Marseille has of course got nothing to do with it.

Celtic look set to win the race to sign the Leeds captain Dominic Matteo, after Blackburn spluttered incredulously at Matteo's £37,000-a-week wage demands.

Oh, and Colin Todd is favourite to become the new manager at Bradford after Bryan Robson's latest failed sortie into coaching.

source: football.guardian.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure about Pennant, but we do need a right sided midfielder desperately.

"We'd certainly like to bring in one more player but I expect some to leave as well. Transfer funds are tight and it's necessary to fund some deals with outgoing moves."

Kinda shits on that idea on here a while back that we have £15m to spend. :D

Lampard lures Gerrard

_40291423_gerryandlamps_203x152gi.jpg

Frank Lampard would like fellow England midfielder Steven Gerrard to join him at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea are understood to be closing in on a £31m deal for Liverpool's skipper after chief Rick Parry revealed Gerrard is considering his Anfield future.

"Steven Gerrard is a fantastic player," Lampard said. "I think our partnership works really well.

"He is another one Chelsea are in for and any player who strengthens our squad and team will be welcome."

Gerrard and Lampard have played alongside each other in both of England's Euro 2004 matches.

The pair have also got a goal apiece, laying aside fears they would not be able to express their attacking qualities as part of the same midfield.

"I think it helps that we are both similar," said Lampard.

"We're both attacking players but I hope we're clever enough to instinctively know who is going to sit back while the other goes forward."

Chelsea have also been linked with a move to Euro 2004's new superstar Wayne Rooney if Everton decide to cash in on the 18-year-old.

Rooney will not be playing European football next season if he stays at Everton, but England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson insisted that was not compulsory.

He said: "He is where he is and has been playing for Everton and not in Europe.

"I don't think it is absolutely necessary but I suppose his agents will be getting lots of phone calls, although I don't know."

Lampard, meanwhile, insists Rooney is big enough to handle any provocation that may come his way.

The Everton star could miss England's involvement in a possible quarter-final tie if he gets a yellow card against Croatia.

He said: "We've got someone in Wayne with the character to carry all this pressure.

"He really is fearless. He takes everything in his stride, although we have got to be careful we don't put too much pressure on him because he is so young.

"He will make mistakes and he won't always have such great games as the last two.

"That's just normal, but I think he can handle the pressure."

Lampard added: "Being wound up is just something that happens at international level and in European football.

"It is something Wayne has to realise and make sure he is clever enough to keep the aggression in his game without over-doing it."

Source (bbc.co.uk)

So Chelsea will soon be looking to buy the entire England squad then. :rolleyes:

It intregues me that it was supposedly £30m yesterday, and now it's £31m...but I have to say: "I would love it if we got Gerrard, love it." [/Kevin Keegan]

If we have both Lampard and Gerrard - Deco, quite frankly, can fuck off. Then again, I'd like it if he fucked off anyway.

Rooney would be nice...but if we did buy him the price would be too ludicrous for words. :ohwell: