"Evil Dead" Being Remade

Pepsi

The original Evil Dead writer/director Sam Raimi (Spider-Man 2) and the star of the franchise, Bruce Campbell, are teaming together again to produce a remake of the original 1981 horror classic. The pair will work on the picture through Raimi's Ghost House Pictures. Raimi will not direct the feature.

"The Evil Dead is such a special film to Sam, Rob, Bruce and horror fans that we are going to take great care in renewing this franchise," said Joe Drake from Senator Intl (who owns the worldwide rights to the franchise.) "By keeping its original formula intact and given audiences' appetite for horror, we expect that we'll have a real hit on our hands."

The original Evil Dead centers around a man named Ash (Campbell) who fights off a group of teenagers possessed by demons, and led to two sequels, Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

Credit: Variety

Holy Hell me and my friend was jsut talking about how it would be cool for another evil dead movie to be made. wish it was part for but a remake is fine cause i love the original

:wipes of his Evil dead Dvd:

well that instantly raises the question, who should play Ash? As soon as I read this, one name popped right in my head; you guys will probably think I'm crazy, but I think he would be the perfect choice:

The Rock.

He'd be right in his element here, an action/horror movie full of what Rock does best, one-liners. The Rock is the man for this role.

well that instantly raises the question, who should play Ash?  As soon as I read this, one name popped right in my head; you guys will probably think I'm crazy, but I think he would be the perfect choice:

The Rock.

He'd be right in his element here, an action/horror movie full of what Rock does best, one-liners.  The Rock is the man for this role.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Never understood the popularity of this movie to be honest, but I hate this remake movies trend, its just as bad as the 'lets make another comic book movie' trend, basically an excuse for directors to make more movies from scripts/stories/characters that already exist, thus creating less work and exploiting an already existing fanbase.

If it is a true remake of Evil Dead then The Rock cannot play Ash since they were supposed to be college kids.  Besides, Ash wasn't a deadite killing machine with catchy one liners until Evil Dead 2.

That is a good point, but I have a feeling this remake is going to be more of the action type movie of the sequels. Keep in mind, it is a Hollywood remake. I'm still optimistic for it since Bruce and Sam are attached in some form.

Actually if you watch the commentary on Evil Dead 2, they say that it's a common mistake from fans thinking Evil Dead 2 is a remake of Evil Dead. It is truely a sequel not a remake. Even Bruce Campbell says "so those of you who think Ash isn't stupid enough to go back to that cabin...well he is."