Punk Covers

DMN in the House

Yeah, so what are your favorite punk covers.

Personally, I'm liking almost anything by MxPX or NoFX right now. Nothing better then 'Barbie Girl' when you're drunk, and everyone's singing it.

Found a copy of a 'Beat It' cover by someone called The Unseen. Kicks major amounts of ass.

So, yeah, criticize, suggest, discuss, whatever.

Starting Line are pretty bad ass so I go with I'm Real - The Starting Line. Uptown Girl by Me First and the Gimme Gimme's is top notch. Every Breath You Take by Strung Out is also pretty good. Not really high tempo but one of my favourite covers of all time. (But I just love Strung Out :shifty:). I used to be able to think of more, but i've went off punk covers a bit at the minue, Oh, oh, oh. Bark at the Moon by Strung Out (There's an album out called Punk Goes Metal, this is the only song i've heard off it but you could check it out).

Pop Goes Meatl, Punk Goes Pop and i'm quite sure there's another, are pretty good for some quality covers, albeit they won't all appeal to everyone. I enjoy:

"Heaven" by New Found Glory

"I'm Real" by TSL

"Dancing With Myself" blink-182

"Everything I Do, I Do It For You" by New Found Glory

"The Goonies R Good Enuf" by New Found Glory

"TNT" by Dynamite Boy

Ahh punk covers, where shall I start?

California Sun (The Rivieras) - The Ramones

Solidarity (Rhythm Corps...I think) - Angelic Upstarts

Fuck Around The Clock (Bill Haley and the Comets) - Anti Nowhere League (Changed from Rock around the Clock)

Beat on the Brat (Ramones), Manic Depression (Jimi Hendrix) - Nomeansno

I'm black and I'm proud - Black Randy and the Metrosquad

War (Popular 60s song, I forget who did this, help me here hippies :P ) - D.O.A.

Uncontrollable Urge (Devo) - D.I.

Viva Las Vegas (Elvis Presley) - Dead Kennedys

Soul Kitchen (The Doors) - X

Ace of Spades (Motorhead) - Battalion of Saints

Crucified (Motorhead) - Agnostic Front

Pipeline (The Ventures) - Johnny Thunders, Agent Orange

Leader of a Gang (Gary Glitter) - Peter and the Test Tube Babies

Surfin Bird (The Trashmen) - The Cramps

Here's another angle we can take on this subject, how about punk songs covered by non-punk bands?

Richard Hung Himself (D.I.), Memories of Tomorrow (Suicidal Tendencies), Sick Boy (G.B.H.) - Slayer (This actually comes from an album Slayer released that is devoted to punk covers)

Lexicon Devil (Germs) - Melvins

Sheena is a punk rocker (the Ramones) - The Phantom Surfers

Pop Goes Meatl, Punk Goes Pop and i'm quite sure there's another

Punk Goes Acoustic perhaps? I remember when I did a semester at a radio station that album was always around, and had some good tracks on it.

I can suggest:

- NOFX (Fleetwood Mac) - Go Your Own Way

- Atreyu (Bon Jovi) - You Give Love a Bad Name

- Sewing With Nancie (Madonna) - Like a Prayer

- Reel Big Fish (A-Ha) - Take On Me

The Unseen's cover of Beat It owned big time. I used to play it on air constantly.

I am partial to Metallica's Last Caress, and So What. Too good covers of punk songs.

And yeah, Richard Hung Himself kills, but the original slays. *throws on Live at a Dive*

So What, if I'm thinking of the same song, this is the Anti Nowhere League. Do the lyrics involve something like this: "Well I fucked a sheep, well I fucked a goat, I rammed my cock right down his throat, So what, so what, so what so what you boring little cunt"? If so, then I have to hear that, because the thought of Hetfield singing some of the other lyrics to that song make me laugh.

And agreed 100% on the original of Richard Hung Himself, I'll throw on Team Goon instead though. :thumbsup: