What's with all the genres?

tristy

So, I was posting on another forum, right? And this chick asks everyone to list their favorite hardcore/metalcore bands.

What's with all the new genres of rock these days?

hardcore? metalcore? emo? screamo? grindcore?

What the hell is going on? And why do half of these bands listed under those genres (supposedly, like As I Lying Dying and Norma Jean) suck so bad?

And since when did straightedge hardcore become a genre?

Your guess is as good as mine. :P

I miss the days when there was just Rock, Metal, Rap, R&B, etc etc. Now there are all kinds of subgenres for a genre, and subgenres for the subgenres.

It's fucking confusing.

A better question is why do we place so much importance on meaningless labels and genres? I think it's the reason music sucks currently. I know that first sentence sounded a bit whiny goth "non-conformist" bullshit but what can you do.

It all comes along when people have conversations like this:

Guy 1: What kind of music do you listen to?

Guy 2: I like punk.

Guy 1: Oh yeah, what bands, I like ___ and ____.

Guy 2: That's not punk, I like ___ and ____.

Guy 1: What the hell are you talking about?

And it goes from there so people make the subgenres to avoid stupid arguments like that, either that or a band calls itself "a mix of ___ and ____" or coins the term themselves.

A better question is why do we place so much importance on meaningless labels and genres?  I think it's the reason music sucks currently.  I know that first sentence sounded a bit whiny goth "non-conformist" bullshit but what can you do.

No bullshit to it at all. We're too wrapped up in the idea that everything has to be neatly tucked away into its proper file. Fuck that, I want music.

Listen to the song "It's Still Rock and Roll To Me" by Billy Joel...

It's about how all these Genre's pop up, but he doesn't care...it's still rock to him....

Hence the name.

I agree, I'm sick of the amount of genre's that end in core these days.

Hell, even punk rock has a ton of different genre's. There's Oi, Hardcore, 77 Style, Proto-Punk, Crust, Street, post punk, and even more that I'm probably forgetting. If somebody asks me what I like, I don't rattle off 18 different sub-genres. I think it's enough to say I like punk rock without naming off the 18 different sub-genres I listed above. If people want to know specifically what I like, I'll rattle off the bands I like.

Honestly I couldn't name a band that is Grindcore, Screamo, Metalcore, etc. because I have no idea what bands fit that criteria. What's next, vomitcore?

Edit - I was suddenly reminded of the genre "stoner rock". What the fuck? Stoner rock? Bands like the Melvins and Orange Goblin supposedly fit this genre. Ugh, what ever happened to good old fashioned rock and roll?

Edited by VerbalPuke

IMO there are two kinds of music

1. Rock

2. Other Crap

But seriously there are too many kinds of Metal these days, and to me it basically sounds the same. But I guess that if you know anything about it it sounds different and you would want to catogorize them so you don't get confused. And yes I know that is a crappy reason but try thinking of a better one!

I hate it when nobody bands who suck and are never gonna get anywhere because they're shit say things like.

'We take the best bits of metallica and the best bits of nirvana, and mix them together to create something new and better'

NO. NO IT'S NOT BETTER.

Metalcore is basically what bands like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage and Lamb Of God play.

And of course you need sub divisions. Look at the differences between bands. If there was no divisions, bands like Opeth and Napalm Death would both just be Metal, yet sound nothing like each other.

Some genre's are pointless, but some need to be on place, just so that every band isn't just a "metal" band, or just a "rock" band. Genre's also allow you to check out similar music, as bands that fit in the genre's that you like.

Plus, allmusic.com is pretty accurate, as hardly any band stay in one genre with every song they do.

The problem with that is dude, there are now so many genres that nobody knows which genre is which, so they don't know what genre they're supposed to like.

Just stick with Power Metal. It's the only genre you actually need...

Edit: What the fuck? Australian War Metal...Kreator?

So Australian War Metal is basically heavy metal with a confusing name. Ok...

Machinehead..nu metal? I want to kill this writer...

I also can't believe they made a sub-genre of power metal just to stick Manowar in...Epic Metal? For the love of God.

And going by the description for Epic Metal, it's basically EXACTLY THE SAME AS POWER METAL. AS IS PROGRESSIVE METAL.

Die, music journalists. Die horrible, horrible deaths.

You've also got to love how the genres have become so confused that Cathedral are listen in no less than three of them.

Ugh. I'm glad I don't have to actually pay attention to any of this bullshit.

Random person: "What music do you like?"

Me: "Stuff that isn't shit."

That's a good enough answer.

Edited by TheReilDeal

The problem with that is dude, there are now so many genres that nobody knows which genre is which, so they don't know what genre they're supposed to like.

Just stick with Power Metal. It's the only genre you actually need...

It's not that hard, all you have to do is pay a little bit of attention. I could rattle off a good few genre's, bands in that genre, and descritions of the genre itself off the top of my head pretty easily, just because I read up on my metal, and therefore know these kinda things. Fair enough, genre's aren't great for the casual fan, but still....