What's with all the genres?

tristy

The problem with that is dude, there are now so many genres that nobody knows which genre is which, so they don't know what genre they're supposed to like.

Just stick with Power Metal. It's the only genre you actually need...

Edit: What the fuck? Australian War Metal...Kreator?

So Australian War Metal is basically heavy metal with a confusing name. Ok...

Machinehead..nu metal? I want to kill this writer...

I also can't believe they made a sub-genre of power metal just to stick Manowar in...Epic Metal? For the love of God.

And going by the description for Epic Metal, it's basically EXACTLY THE SAME AS POWER METAL. AS IS PROGRESSIVE METAL.

Die, music journalists. Die horrible, horrible deaths.

You've also got to love how the genres have become so confused that Cathedral are listen in no less than three of them.

Ugh. I'm glad I don't have to actually pay attention to any of this bullshit.

Random person: "What music do you like?"

Me: "Stuff that isn't shit."

That's a good enough answer.

You do realise that that is one of the worst examples of genre defining that you can find. Some of it is good, but some, like the Australian War Metal, doesn't make any sense.

Power Metal and Progressive Metal aren't the same either, numbnuts.

And Machine Head's 3 and 4th album were basically Nu-Metal albums, so they can be lumped into nu-metal as well.

I don't really pay attention to what genre a band is. If someone asks me what genre a certain band is, I usually just say something basic like rock, metal, etc.

I still don't know exactly what genre The Mars Volta is. It probably has alot to do with me being kinda new to anything but metal, but TMV sounds completely original to me.

The problem with that is dude, there are now so many genres that nobody knows which genre is which, so they don't know what genre they're supposed to like.

That doesnt make sense, if you like a certain kind of music, you'd the know the genre it's in, how you could not?

Mmm. Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing.

That doesnt make sense, if you like a certain kind of music, you'd the know the genre it's in, how you could not?

Not neccessarily.

I listen to music because I like it, not because it's part of genre X. It just so happens that most of my music falls into a few particular genres. Well, one particular genre; Heavy fucking Metal, but that's beside the point.

Most genre's are pointless. Who cares if what you listen to is SLIGHTLY HEAVIER THAN HEAVY METAL~! or SLIGHTLY LIGHTER THAN SLIGHTLY HEAVIER THAN HEAVY METAL~! It's heavy fucking metal, get over it.

You simply don't need that many fucking genre's. What is this, a filing cabinet now?

So, you can categorise bands like Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride and Anathemal in the same category as bands like Behemoth, Nile, Immortal, Emperor?And then lump them in with bands like Blind Guardian, Dragonforce, Nightwish and Helloween? What about Nasum, Napalm Death, Raging Speedhorm, etc etc. In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates and Entombed?

None of the bands that I grouped together sound like the other bands I mention, which is why they need seperate genre's. Don't be a gimp...

Personally, I don't really pay attention to genres. If a bands got the sound, than so be it.

But I also see a point to genres in that if you are going to classify things as rock, hip-hop, there is a possibility that everything could simply sound the same.

Do genres define music or does music define itself? Who knows.

Yeah, but why so MANY other genres? That's my point.

What is it that makes Manowar an Epic Metal band, but not Dragonforce?

One of the best examples:

Extreme Metal

Not a specific genre but a broader definition of some heavier and aggressive styles of metal including black metal, death metal, doom metal, grindcore, hardcore and thrash metal.

Progressive Metal/Rock are more bands like Dream Theater, who aren't Power Metal. Some bands stradle the two genres, like Dragonforce, but mostly they are pretty seperate. Bands like Tool could even fit into Progressive, as could The Mars Volta. Progressive is usually pretty difficult, as quite a lot of the bands who can be considered Progressive don't sound much the same, as is the same with Nu-Metal and Metalcore. But, most other bands in genres do fit into the category or basic mould of a genre.

Viking Metal is nowhere near Power Metal. Viking Metal is similar in vein to Death Metal.

And no, just because you like band X from genre Y, doesn't mean you shall like all the bands in genre Y, but chances are you will like more of that genre then a different genre.

Also, Opera Metal isn't Power Metal. Firstly, most people call it Symphonic Metal, and it's a lot less tongue in cheek then Power Metal, and uses (shock horror) symphonies. Nightwish AREN'T a Power Metal band, they are a Symphonic Metal band, similar in the way that Dimmu Borgir are (even though Dimmu can also fall into the Black Metal category).

And FYI, Extreme Metal does cover most of them, but there are many different aspects to bands in Extreme Metal, that you need further splitting up to make sense.

And if you read my earlier post, you can dismiss quite a lof of the genres on that thing Keith posted. No-one uses them, and I don't know why they are there. Party Metal, Epic Metal, Australian War Metal, Circus Metal, and a couple of the other ones don't exist, apart from on this website, or so it would seem.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Is it just me or do these sub-genres seem to only apply to punk and metal? It might be just because the majority of music lovers I know only really listen to those two genres, but there seem to far more categories of metal than any other genre, it's all too confusing.

I remember the first time someone told me they were into "War Metal" and then later "Doom Metal" or something and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, it's just too much.

On a mostly unrelated, but still genre-related note, I despise the term "Easy Listening".

Is it just me or do these sub-genres seem to only apply to punk and metal? It might be just because the majority of music lovers I know only really listen to those two genres, but there seem to far more categories of metal than any other genre, it's all too confusing.

I remember the first time someone told me they were into "War Metal" and then later "Doom Metal" or something and I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, it's just too much.

On a mostly unrelated, but still genre-related note, I despise the term "Easy Listening".

Believe me, Jazz, Blues and other genres have many different sub categories also.