Sony PSP

Dan

Over the following 2 months, Europe and the US is anticipating what could be the most revolutionary peice of equipment in Handheld gaming since the original GameBoy. Already out in Japan, the PSP has been greated with a good reaction, and fears of the battery life have all but dissapeared as most people have got twice as much life as expected from a single charge.

The PSP in all it's glory.

5697250948314673.jpg

In this preview I'll try my best to find out the best info and pictures.

Anyway, Firstly, What is the PSP? The PSP (Playstation Portable) is a new Handheld gaming device, the first from Console giant Sony. For years Nintendo has ruled the Handheld market, with Sega, atari, NeoGeo and many others trying to break it, but failing miserably. After Nintendo have gone so long without a serious challenge, the Nintendo DS may have some competition.

Whats so special about it? From the picture you should notice the screen, The screen is absolutely huge, The biggest screen on a portable gaming device, ever. And it's crystal clear, widescreen. Backlit of course, after Nintendo introduced that with the GBA SP, their is no turning back.

The Screen Size.

3745287974230507.jpg

What's with all those buttons and stuff? At the top edge is an infrared transmitter, a mini-USB connector and the Eject button for loading UMDs. Sony is planning an infrared remote controller for the PSP, and it looks like any future PSP add-ons will be plugged in up top, as there’s two locking holes on each side of the mini-USB port.

UMDs? UMDs (Universal Media Disk) is the media device used for the PSP. It can store up to 1.8 Gigabytes of Data.

UMD.

7278631318563831.jpg

Is it only games? Hell no! The PSP is everything in one little device. It plays movies, either with a memory stick or on the UMDs, it plays mp3s, it lets you view images and its a powerful gaming device into the bargain.

A doggy on a PSP.

2241359714746671.JPG

Whats the graphics like? The graphics are in one word - Outstanding. The PSP graphics are the best ever seen on a handheld console, and sony have really gone to town with it. Below you can see a comparison between the PSP and the nintendo DS versions of "Ridge Racers"

DS - Ridge Racers -

8042727637215705.jpg

PSP - Ridge Racers -

8131594382758137.jpg

Is their room for improvement? Indeed, Sony have already said that they are going to release updates, and because you can wirelessley connect your PSP to your internet connection, you can update straight from Sony's site. And sony have got a great line up in store, an Internet browser, emailer, calculator and much more is planned for the PSP.

Sony have announced an amazing line up of games which Includes Gran turismo, a Handheld GTA, Metal Gear Acid,Everybodys Gold, Ridge Racers and many more.

I'll update you as more information is released.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this preview I'll try my best to find out the best info and pictures.

Anyway, Firstly, What is the PSP? The PSP (Playstation Portable) is a new Handheld gaming device, the first from Console giant Sony. For years Nintendo has ruled the Handheld market, with Sega, atari, NeoGeo and many others trying to break it, but failing miserably. After Nintendo have gone so long without a serious challenge, the Nintendo DS may have some competition.

Guest Future Shock

I'm on the fence about the PSP. I mean, sure, it'll be good, but will it be good on launch? Sony doesn't exactly have a penchant for kickass console hardware right out of the gate *as in it'll break really easily*.

I'm a little worried about the UMD thing, and the fact that I have to pay...what was it, like 50 bucks for a memory stick?

Hopefully it's a charm. But it could turn into N-Gage 2, which would suck ass. Because I want one of these. :(

The PocketStation din't come out in the UK, so I didn't count it :P

Anyway, LUEshi, go fuck off, your obviously an idiot.

FS, for an extra $60 (imported, so itll be less) You can get the value pack, which includes :

# PSP Hardware (PSP-1000K Value Pack)

# PSP Memory Stick Duo 32MB

# PSP Headphones With Remote Control

# PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap

# PSP AC Adapter (100V - 240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide)

# PSP Battery Pack

# Free Travel Plug (to fit in your country)

Guest John Cena

The PocketStation din't come out in the UK, so I didn't count it :P

Anyway, LUEshi, go fuck off, your obviously an idiot.

FS, for an extra $60 (imported, so itll be less) You can get the value pack, which includes :

# PSP Hardware (PSP-1000K Value Pack)

# PSP Memory Stick Duo 32MB

# PSP Headphones With Remote Control

# PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap

# PSP AC Adapter (100V - 240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide)

# PSP Battery Pack

# Free Travel Plug (to fit in your country)