Sony PSP

Dan

Over the following 2 months, Europe and the US is anticipating what could be the most revolutionary peice of equipment in Handheld gaming since the original GameBoy. Already out in Japan, the PSP has been greated with a good reaction, and fears of the battery life have all but dissapeared as most people have got twice as much life as expected from a single charge.

The PSP in all it's glory.

5697250948314673.jpg

In this preview I'll try my best to find out the best info and pictures.

Anyway, Firstly, What is the PSP? The PSP (Playstation Portable) is a new Handheld gaming device, the first from Console giant Sony. For years Nintendo has ruled the Handheld market, with Sega, atari, NeoGeo and many others trying to break it, but failing miserably. After Nintendo have gone so long without a serious challenge, the Nintendo DS may have some competition.

Whats so special about it? From the picture you should notice the screen, The screen is absolutely huge, The biggest screen on a portable gaming device, ever. And it's crystal clear, widescreen. Backlit of course, after Nintendo introduced that with the GBA SP, their is no turning back.

The Screen Size.

3745287974230507.jpg

What's with all those buttons and stuff? At the top edge is an infrared transmitter, a mini-USB connector and the Eject button for loading UMDs. Sony is planning an infrared remote controller for the PSP, and it looks like any future PSP add-ons will be plugged in up top, as there’s two locking holes on each side of the mini-USB port.

UMDs? UMDs (Universal Media Disk) is the media device used for the PSP. It can store up to 1.8 Gigabytes of Data.

UMD.

7278631318563831.jpg

Is it only games? Hell no! The PSP is everything in one little device. It plays movies, either with a memory stick or on the UMDs, it plays mp3s, it lets you view images and its a powerful gaming device into the bargain.

A doggy on a PSP.

2241359714746671.JPG

Whats the graphics like? The graphics are in one word - Outstanding. The PSP graphics are the best ever seen on a handheld console, and sony have really gone to town with it. Below you can see a comparison between the PSP and the nintendo DS versions of "Ridge Racers"

DS - Ridge Racers -

8042727637215705.jpg

PSP - Ridge Racers -

8131594382758137.jpg

Is their room for improvement? Indeed, Sony have already said that they are going to release updates, and because you can wirelessley connect your PSP to your internet connection, you can update straight from Sony's site. And sony have got a great line up in store, an Internet browser, emailer, calculator and much more is planned for the PSP.

Sony have announced an amazing line up of games which Includes Gran turismo, a Handheld GTA, Metal Gear Acid,Everybodys Gold, Ridge Racers and many more.

I'll update you as more information is released.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this preview I'll try my best to find out the best info and pictures.

Anyway, Firstly, What is the PSP? The PSP (Playstation Portable) is a new Handheld gaming device, the first from Console giant Sony. For years Nintendo has ruled the Handheld market, with Sega, atari, NeoGeo and many others trying to break it, but failing miserably. After Nintendo have gone so long without a serious challenge, the Nintendo DS may have some competition.

Guest Future Shock

I'm on the fence about the PSP. I mean, sure, it'll be good, but will it be good on launch? Sony doesn't exactly have a penchant for kickass console hardware right out of the gate *as in it'll break really easily*.

I'm a little worried about the UMD thing, and the fact that I have to pay...what was it, like 50 bucks for a memory stick?

Hopefully it's a charm. But it could turn into N-Gage 2, which would suck ass. Because I want one of these. :(

The PocketStation din't come out in the UK, so I didn't count it :P

Anyway, LUEshi, go fuck off, your obviously an idiot.

FS, for an extra $60 (imported, so itll be less) You can get the value pack, which includes :

# PSP Hardware (PSP-1000K Value Pack)

# PSP Memory Stick Duo 32MB

# PSP Headphones With Remote Control

# PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap

# PSP AC Adapter (100V - 240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide)

# PSP Battery Pack

# Free Travel Plug (to fit in your country)

Guest John Cena

The PocketStation din't come out in the UK, so I didn't count it :P

Anyway, LUEshi, go fuck off, your obviously an idiot.

FS, for an extra $60 (imported, so itll be less) You can get the value pack, which includes :

# PSP Hardware (PSP-1000K Value Pack)

# PSP Memory Stick Duo 32MB

# PSP Headphones With Remote Control

# PSP Soft Case & Hand Strap

# PSP AC Adapter (100V - 240V, 50/60Hz, works worldwide)

# PSP Battery Pack

# Free Travel Plug (to fit in your country)

Guest Future Shock

32 MB?

I can't exactly listen to mp3's on that...:P

Besides that, I'm a sucker for accessories, so I might snag that...

But then again...DS...so many possibilities...

But PSP has Darkstalkers...

:(

ridger1.jpg

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Release Date: March 2005

Genre: Racing

Origin: Japan

Number Of Players: 1

PSP installment in Namco's long-running racing series. The launch title for the platform offers single race, world tour, multiplayer and options. Time attack lets you select a course and race against a ghost car in order to beat your times. Single race takes place against twelve other racers. World Tour is the main mode of focus for the single player Ridge Racers experience, and there seems to be a whole lot to it. Choose from a number of pre-set tours that take you through multiple race sessions set on different tracks. Ridge Racers has stunning visuals, something never seen before on a handheld console and a showcase for what a nice framerate can do for portable gamers. Overall Ridge Racers is one of the better, if not the best of the Japanese leaunch games and should be a big hit in the US and Europe, but GT4 and NFS will provide healthy competition.

Screens.

ridge-racers-20050105061328013.jpg

ridge-racers-20050114015734912.jpg

ridge-racers-20041210101938298.jpg

ridge-racers-20041210101938642.jpg

Anticipation Level - :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 4/5

Edited by Dan

From Gamespot

About 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handheld's square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because it's so close to the PSP's 480x272 screen. Because there isn't enough room to put the square button's detection switch directly underneath, it's off to the right, making it less responsive--and sometimes causing it to stick.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."