Music People Wouldn't Expect You To Listen To

tristy

So... since Jessica Simpson is a pop act and gets major radio play that makes her less talented? This whole discussion was about talent, plain and simple. And when it comes to raw talent, both Simpson sisters outshine Fred Durst.

As far as the marketing side of things, what you see with Simpson is what you get. She has always been presented as the clean, virginal pop singer and that's essentially what she is. She's a ditzy blonde, yes, but she can sing and that's really all there is to it. Yes, she has an amazing promotional machine behind her, but they're not manufacturing an image for her.

Which is more than I can say for Durst, who has been nothing but a fucking gimmick since day one. Limp Bizkit rode KoRn's coattails to get put on TV in the first place and then all the sudden I'm supposed to like them because MTV is playing them non-stop. I'm supposed to believe this punk ass white boy is a badass? I'm supposed to vote for their new song on TRL?! WOOHOO! You know, Jessica is a pop act, so I expect the marketing machine behind her. But Limp Bizkit is supposed to be hardcore, bad ass rock music and it's nothing but another manufactured fad. Limp Bizkit was just another tool used by MTV and you can't deny that. Rock music is supposed to be about not selling out, anti-establishment, anti-fad and all that shit, Limp Bizkit became the fad. If you ask me, Limp Bizkit was just the latest band teenagers could latch onto and say "I'm an individual, just like everyone else that dresses like me, talks like me, listens to the same music as me, etc..." LB gave the big corporations a new marketing gimmick, market it as the anti-everything and angsty teens will eat it up, and they did.

Limp Bizkit was never good. Ever. Simple as that. Do I like Jessica Simpson's music? Fuck no. But can I respect her as a decent singer? Absolutely,and she's infinitely more talented than Durst could ever fathom being.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... since Jessica Simpson is a pop act and gets major radio play that makes her less talented?  This whole discussion was about talent, plain and simple.  And when it comes to raw talent, both Simpson sisters outshine Fred Durst.

As far as the marketing side of things, what you see with Simpson is what you get.  She has always been presented as the clean, virginal pop singer and that's essentially what she is.  She's a ditzy blonde, yes, but she can sing and that's really all there is to it.  Yes, she has an amazing promotional machine behind her, but they're not manufacturing an image for her.

Which is more than I can say for Durst, who has been nothing but a fucking gimmick since day one.  Limp Bizkit rode KoRn's coattails to get put on TV in the first place and then all the sudden I'm supposed to like them because MTV is playing them non-stop.  I'm supposed to believe this punk ass white boy is a badass?  I'm supposed to vote for their new song on TRL?!  WOOHOO!  You know, Jessica is a pop act, so I expect the marketing machine behind her.  But Limp Bizkit is supposed to be hardcore, bad ass rock music and it's nothing but another manufactured fad.  Limp Bizkit was just another tool used by MTV and you can't deny that.  Rock music is supposed to be about not selling out, anti-establishment, anti-fad and all that shit, Limp Bizkit became the fad.  If you ask me, Limp Bizkit was just the latest band teenagers could latch onto and say "I'm an individual, just like everyone else that dresses like me, talks like me, listens to the same music as me, etc..."  LB gave the big corporations a new marketing gimmick, market it as the anti-everything and angsty teens will eat it up, and they did.

Limp Bizkit was never good.  Ever.  Simple as that.  Do I like Jessica Simpson's music?  Fuck no.  But can I respect her as a decent singer?  Absolutely,and she's infinitely more talented than Durst could ever fathom being.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I'm pretty sure everyone who doesn't know much about me would be surprised by the music I listen to, probably because I have such wide tastes, im not sure type of music people would expect I listen to by looking at me, but I like lots of everything.

Apart from Hardcore Dance/Trance/Rave/Shit and obscure types of hardcore rock music.

Basically most of my music time is covered with Marvin Gaye, Barry White, James Brown, Lionel Richie and the Commodores, George Benson, basically music that was released around the time of my birth and before.

I surprise alot of people when they find out I'm a big fan of Chumbawamba. However there is a bit more to that picture, as I enjoy their pre-Tubthumper work. In their earlier years they were a D.I.Y./Anarcho band with heavy political content in their music. Their music reminds me alot of Crass, except with better vocalists and a more polished sound. They even took part with many other punk bands in an album dedicated to slandering EMI records ("Fuck EMI", 1989). The irony here is that they would sign with EMI in 1997 and record Tubthumping, an album featuring predominantely apolitical lyrics.

Honestly I think alot of people are initially surprised that I'm such an avid listener of punk, surf, garage, etc. I get alot of "I wouldn't picture you to like that kind of music" comments.

Again, in your opinion, and a consensus comparison of Simpson and Limp Bizkit would disagree with you. As for Jessica Simpson's "realness", bullshit. First album she comes out all virtuous preaching virtue and talking about how she wouldn't take off her clothes to gain success, and when that album doesn't do so well she's a whore for the second one. When the jig is up and people start to get tired of her, she gets a show on MTV to keep herself in the spotlight. Now we get a third "image", that of the dumb housewife. She milks this on the TV show, in interviews and a couple of stupid TV commercials and rides to good enough album sales. Say what you will about Fred Durst, but I only remember one "version" of him, the douchebag with the big mouth. And pardon me, but while we're comparing talent, I can't remember the last song Jessica Simpson actually wrote, much less arranged instrumentals for.

A consensus comparison to the average music buyer, Simpson would certainly be more popular than Fred Durst. People found out Durst was a wannabe badass and is nothing more than a laughing stock now. And when did Jessica ever become a whore? Please point out the video where we see her doing half of the shit Britney or Christina do in their's? Sure, Jessica shows a little skin here and there and she does some modeling, but she's no where near the level of skanktitude of a Spears or Aguilera. The show on MTV portrays her as the person she is away from the camera, just a regular dumb blonde. And as for "versions" of Fred, I can name a few: The badass, the silly guy, and the lame ass trying desperately to cling on to fame. Bottom line is, Fred Durst has no redeeming qualities as an artist. My opinion? Sure, but c'mon, "you can take that cookie and stick it up your ass." Brilliant songwriter there.

And the whole songwriting argument is pointless because there are countless of incredibly talented performers who never wrote their own songs. Elton John comes to mind, I guess he's less talented than Fred Durst now? Shit, many of the greatest songs ever written were not performed by the artist, that's why some people make livings as just songwriters.

And the whole songwriting argument is pointless because there are countless of incredibly talented performers who never wrote their own songs.  Elton John comes to mind, I guess he's less talented than Fred Durst now?  Shit, many of the greatest songs ever written were not performed by the artist, that's why some people make livings as just songwriters.