"The Flash" to become a motion picture...

Guest Bluesman

Guest Bluesman

The 'cancelled tv series' thread got me thinking about The Flash, and whether it was on DVD yet. I didn't find anything, but I did find this:

Blade: Trinity writer/director David Goyer will write, produce and direct a movie based on DC Comics' The Flash, Variety reported. Goyer will make the movie for Warner Brothers, for whom he also wrote the script for the upcoming fifth Batman movie, Batman Begins.

The Flash is still in development and is the first project to be identified under Goyer's recently signed overall production deal with the studio, the trade paper reported.

Created by Gardner Fox and Harry Lampert, the Flash first appeared in DC Comics late in 1939. He's the alter ego of chemistry student Jason Peter "Jay" Garrick, an aspiring athlete whose exposure to heavy water fumes gives him the ability to move at incredible speeds, the trade paper reported.

A version of the venerable DC Comics character recently appeared in an episode of The WB's Smallville.

Guest Ringmaster

I remember the old 1983-85 or something movie of The Flash. I still have it on tape. It sucked. Hardcore. But the show seemed to have some sort of promise. Seems like shows are starting to emulate the Serenity route though.

Well I can't exactly say thats origin is wrong, as I'm not sure how Jay Garrick got his Flash powers, but its different from both Barry and Wally's way of getting the powers

Garick was the original Flash and he got his powers as described in the first post. He was investigating an experimental heavy form of water but an accident released hazardous fumes that rendered him unconscious and after breathing the fumes all night, woke up to discover his super powers.

Guest Bluesman

Hmm...don't know much about Garrick. I'd prefer it to be about Barry, but oh well. Who knows, maybe it'll change. I just hope it isn't about Wally, I always found him to be a whiny douche.

I always liked the Flash, and I believe I remember a TV series which showed here for a short amount of time that I used to love when I was a kid... but damn, please make it the Barry or Wally Flash, not Garrick. I don't really care for Garrick.

Flash, ah ah! Saviour of the universe!

Ok, so wrong Flash but who cares.

Ahem, yeah. I'm all for more superhero movies, makes me happy.

Edited by The_Monkey_Molester

The TV series actually kicked ass ratings-wise (it was okay as far as superhero TV of the time goes), but got canned from the conservative CBS schedule when series star John Wesley Shipp announced he was gay in an interview for his performance in Broadway play "Dancing at Lughnasa". A shame, really, in an era when FOX was producing truly atrocious Generation X and Nick Fury movies.

Guest Bluesman

The TV series actually kicked ass ratings-wise (it was okay as far as superhero TV of the time goes), but got canned from the conservative CBS schedule when series star John Wesley Shipp announced he was gay in an interview for his performance in Broadway play "Dancing at Lughnasa". A shame, really, in an era when FOX was producing truly atrocious Generation X and Nick Fury movies.

In terms of Goyer, he's not too bad. He's written Dark City, The Crow: City of Angels, all three Blade films, and the soon to be released Batman Begins which overall puts him at a level of being meh. Though, that depends on whether or not you've seen Dark City, which I haven't.