Worst Game to Film Adaptation

ROC

Let's face it, video game movies are everywhere, and have been thriving well with game adaptations like the Resident Evil series and currently planned adaptations like Prince of Persia, Metroid, and even Halo. But there has been a bunch of weak adaptations since the platform made a weak birth in 1993 with the doomed film Super Mario Bros. Now, let me ask, What is the worst game adaptation you've ever seen?

For me, it was House of the Dead. It literally blew away the crappiness of my previous worst, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. I would explain away, but I think the review I posted defines it all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but Super Mario Bros is actually a guilty pleasure of mine...I know it's not a great movie, but I enjoy it for some strange and deranged reason. I can't explain it really...

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation definitely ranks up there of the worst although the original Mortal Kombat was decent enough. But Annihilation was just horrible...

One game to film adaptation that really disappointed me was Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within or whatever it was called. When I heard Square was making a Final Fantasy movie I was pretty excited since I am a big fan of the games, but the movie just didn't meet my expectations. I wouldn't rank it as bad as Annihilation, but I never expected as much from Annihilation as I did Final Fantasy.

Street Fighter. The one with Van Damme and Raul Julia (why he signed onto this abomination, I'll never know).

EDIT: And fucking Double Dragon. The original game for the NES was badass and when I saw this movie I wanted to hurl shit at my TV screen.

Edited by Godfatha

Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, Super Mario Brothers and Street Fighter...are all guilty pleasures of mine. For some reason I really enjoy movies adapted from games, looking at that list I don't even particularly like those games but the movies appeal to me on a certain "Grade A Cheese" level I love so much.

The one game adapted movie I didn't like actually came from my favourite game series, Final Fantasy. I went to watch Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within at the very first showing with several friends. I knew it was doomed from the start since the crowd totaled about ten, six of which were my group of friends. The movie just didn't have any of the character depth of intricate plot that the games do.

I'm still looking forward to Final Fantasy: Advent Children though.

I might be the only person in the world who has loved every video game to film adaption... does that make me weird? maybe

Anyways there is a Counter-Strike movie being made....seeing as counter-strike doesn't even have a storyline it could be bad or good but then it is being made by that guy who writes almost every video game movie

The only thing that beat HotD was 'Dark Harvest.'

Is that the movie with the tagline "It'll scare the CROP out of you!"? Best tagline, EVER!

Anyway, Super Mario Bros. is the worst, even as a kid I thought, "this is fucking horrible."

Mortal Kombat 1 is the best movie to film though.

Since I really haven't been able to see House Of The Dead or Alone In The Dark (which probably are the worse ever, thanks to their director [i've already made my feelings clear about that man]), I'll have to say either Super Mario Bros., Double Dragon or Street Fighter. I actually like MK:A to some extent, and while not half as good as the first MK, I can actually watch it, something I can't say for the other movies I mentioned.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a cool film. I really enjoyed it and bought it on video.

The original Mortal Kombat film was a decent laugh but the sequel is pretty dire.

Street Fighter is pure popcorn 4/10 rating. Mildly averting late at night but that's about it.

I also enjoy the first Resident Evil but that's probably mostly to do with Milla in that dress. Raaaaaaaawwwwwwwrrrrrrrrr!

I also enjoy the first Resident Evil but that's probably mostly to do with Milla in that dress. Raaaaaaaawwwwwwwrrrrrrrrr!

Agreed... TO THE MAAAAX!

The sequl to Resi was awesome just to be able to see Nemi do his thang

I wasn't expecting much more than tits and blood from House of the Dead, so I was satisfied. That Alicia chick had some big fucking slow mo bouncy ass titties. Her face was a little awkward but, damn her tits. My favorite part was when she stomped on the guys head at the end and his brain practically came out his mouth. But yeah, Double Dragon sucked.