NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toteralla blasting Hitchock was the single greatest moment of this round so far. Hitchcock is one of the biggest whiners in the league today come playoff time.

Rediculous, considering Hitchcock answered back with:

"He needs to mind his own business..."

*ackward pause*

"Next question."

That sounds like a whiner to me.

Guest Terminus

Hey Clawson, good to see you on the Calgary bandwagon. What's wrong, did Toronto get their asses kicked? Haha.

As for Toteralla, it was funny seeing him lose his cool during an interview before getting owned by Hitch's "mind your own business" one-liner.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Terminus

So McCabe got the shaft in another thing as Team Canada didn't pick him for the blueline. Who won over him you ask? Wade fucking Redden. C'mon Gretzky, think.

And another bloody afternoon game today. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them.

Canada's World Cup team unveiled

Canadian Press

5/15/2004

CALGARY (CP) - Wayne Gretzky caught Steve Yzerman by surprise when he asked him to be on Canada's World Cup of Hockey team.

The Detroit Red Wings captain wasn't expecting an invitation after playing the NHL season on rebuilt knees and being knocked out of the playoffs by a serious facial injury.

"When I called him, he thought I was calling him to tell him he wasn't going to be part of it," Gretzky, the team's executive director, said with a smile after naming Canada's roster Saturday for the Aug. 30-Sept. 14 tournament. "We just like his professionalism.

"Stevie is just a tremendous player. He's the kind of guy who will come in and be good for our young guys. He's a great leader. He'll take a lot of pressure off of them. And we can use him in any situation."

Yzerman, 39, is the oldest skater and Mario Lemieux, 38, is captain. They are golden oldies among 14 returnees from Canada's team that won 2002 Olympic gold.

"Mario is getting into game shape and is ready to go," said Gretzky.

Also back are goalies Martin Brodeur and Ed Belfour, who at 19 days older than Yzerman ranks as the oldest player on the roster, defencemen Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Ed Jovanovski and Eric Brewer, and forwards Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla, Ryan Smyth and Simon Gagne.

Suspended Vancouver winger Todd Bertuzzi was left off the squad as Hockey Canada chose to avoid the potential distractions his nomination would have created.

Newcomers are goaltender Roberto Luongo, defencemen Robyn Regehr and Wade Redden, and forwards Dany Heatley, Joe Thornton, Martin St. Louis, Patrick Marleau, Brenden Morrow, Brad Richards and the threesome of Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby and Shane Doan, who earned the nickname International Grind Line for their play at the 2003 world championship.

"We always felt Team Canada needed sort of a tough line to play against - that sort of Bobby Clarke-Paul Henderson-Ron Ellis line," explained Gretzky. "We expect them to be really strong defensively for us."

It was a key consideration given the tournament games in North America will be on NHL-sized ice rather than larger Olympic-sized ice.

"This is a grittier team than the team that won in Salt Lake," said Gretzky. "I hate to suggest it wasn't a gritty team in Salt Lake because they earned their stripes.

"But this is a bit of a different team. We have guys who maybe are a little stronger on the walls and in the corners, who can win those little battles, and guys like Regehr who are physical. We probably are more of a physical hockey team in that sense (than the Olympic team)."

Gretzky said bringing back Yzerman, Lemieux and other veterans reflects the selection committee's belief that experience can't be underestimated under the spotlight of world-class competition.

"We know that each and every team that will be in this tournament has a possibility of winning the championship," he said. "It's that close.

"So when you get down to the nitty-gritty you need guys who have been there before. We feel comfortable in that we have guys like Gagne and Sakic and Iginla, and we love the fact guys like Yzerman, Pronger, Marty Brodeur and Mario will understand the pressure this team will be under, so going into the third period tied 2-2 they can really set a calming influence in our locker-room.

"There's a lot of other guys who could be part of this team but we felt really good about this group as a whole and everybody seemed to be happy with it."

Gone from the Salt Lake team are goalie Curtis Joseph, defenceman Al MacInnis, and forwards Paul Kariya, Theo Fleury, Eric Lindros, Joe Nieuwendyk, Michael Peca, Brendan Shanahan and Owen Nolan.

Players who were thought to have a good shot at making it onto the 26-man World Cup roster but who were not selected included goalie Jose Theodore and forwards Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Tanguay, Keith Primeau and Vincent Lecavalier.

Because the deadline for submitting final rosters is not until Aug. 29, players who pull themselves out of the tournament due to illness or injury before that date can be replaced. If the NHL reinstates the suspended Bertuzzi before the deadline and a player named to the roster withdraws, the addition of Bertuzzi would be "strongly considered," Gretzky said.

Regehr and Redden made the cut from a list of five or six worthy young defencemen.

"We really feel that Robyn Regehr's play this year in the playoffs has gone to another level," said Gretzky. "And we just felt that Wade Redden was so close to making our Olympic team that we really feel he's a player who can step in at any time and kill penalties, play the power play, be on the ice in the last minute. He really deserved to be part of this team."

Beyond the easy choice of Brodeur as No. 1 goalie, rounding out the crease corps was tough, said Gretzky.

"The next two guys, the feeling we had was not who could be the second or third goalie but, if Marty is not playing well or is hurt, who can step in and take that responsibility. Luongo proved it at the world championships. He played strong in key parts of the game and kept Canada in the game. We like his poise, and we really liked the year he had."

Gretzky said he and his staff felt comfortable that Belfour could go in and win a big game.

"It was a tough situation  because we know Theodore was a great goaltender but at this point in time we really felt comfortable with those three guys," Gretzky said.

Impressive performances at the annual world championship weighed strongly in some of the selections.

Heatley made the team after an NHL season that started with the car crash that claimed the life of his friend and Atlanta teammate Dan Snyder. After missing the first 51 games recovering from a serious knee injury suffered during the crash, Heatley slowly got his game back before going to the world championship in Prague and scoring a tournament-best eight goals in nine games, earning him MVP honours.

"He played extremely well in Prague," said Gretzky. "He's just a hockey player, he loves to play and compete. He was a no-brainer for our hockey club."

Canada's team will hold a 10-day training camp in Ottawa beginning Aug. 19 under head coach Pat Quinn.

The Czech Republic plays Finland in Helsinki in the tournament opener Aug. 30, while Canada opens against the United States in Montreal on Aug. 31. The final goes Sept. 14 in Toronto. Gretzky is eager to see it and is confident Canada's team can go all the way.

"It's a skating team, a big team, a strong team," he said.

It includes eight current NHL captains - Doan, Iginla, Lemieux, Marleau, Niedermayer, Sakic, Thornton and Yzerman - and 686 international games played in either the world juniors, Olympics, world championships or Canada Cup/World Cup of Hockey.

If healthy I would've definitely put Kariya on the roster.....save with Lecavalier. McCabe and Souray definitely could've made a run for one of the roster spots. Heck, Canada should send a 2nd team to the World Cup too.

What if Canada iced a second team?

Canadian Press

5/15/2004

Ever wonder what it would be like if Canada was allowed to ice a second team at the World Cup of Hockey?

"There's so much talent in Canadian hockey," Team Canada boss Wayne Gretzky said Saturday. "We should be proud of the talent we're producing because we could have two very good hockey clubs."

So why not?  We present to you Canada's shadow team as chosen by The Canadian Press, a 26-player roster that would strike the fear in the rest of the world.

In goal, Jose Theodore of the Montreal Canadiens would be the No. 1 man, backed up by Marty Turco of the Dallas Stars and J.S. Giguere of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks - a group of young stars that already includes a Hart Trophy, Vezina Trophy and Conn Smythe Trophy as well as four all-star game appearances.

The defence would be young and mobile, anchored by Bryan McCabe of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Sheldon Souray of the Montreal Canadiens, the pair combining for 31 goals this season. They're also punishing in front of the net and both had Norris Trophy seasons.

Rounding out the blue-line would be Jay Bouwmeester of the Florida Panthers, Adrian Aucoin of the New York Islanders, Brad Stuart and Scott Hannan of the San Jose Sharks, Chris Phillips of the Ottawa Senators and two-time world championship gold medallist Steve Staios of the Edmonton Oilers.

Impressed so far? We thought so.

Now for the offence. The top line would comprise centre Vincent Lecavalier of the Tampa Bay Lightning between Alex Tanguay of the Colorado Avalanche and Glen Murray of the Boston Bruins - a trio that combined for 89 goals and 205 points this season.

The second line would feature Brendan Morrison playing alongside Vancouver Canucks linemate Todd Bertuzzi with two-time Olympian Paul Kariya also along for the ride. The CP management staff assumes NHL commissioner Gary Bettman would re-instate the suspended Bertuzzi.

The checking line would be centred by Keith Primeau of the Philadelphia Flyers and flanked by Nashville Predators linemates Scott Walker and Steve Sullivan.

A fourth line that can do some major damage would feature world championship star Daniel Briere of the Buffalo Sabres at centre with veteran Brendan Shanahan of the Detroit Red Wings and 41-goal man Rick Nash, 19, of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The three extra forwards would be Rob Niedermayer of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Cory Stillman of the Lightning and Mark Recchi of the Philadelphia Flyers.

The head coach would be Mike Babcock of the Mighty Ducks with assistants Tom Renney and Mike Pelino - Canada's gold medal staff from the world championship in Prague this year.

Oh, but we overlooked Michael Peca, Derek Morris, Owen Nolan, Joe Nieuwendyk, Curtis Joseph, Andrew Raycroft, Jason Arnott, Michael Ryder, Eric Lindros, Nick Boynton, Mike Ribeiro, Jason Spezza, Gary Roberts, Dan Boyle and Mike Rathje.

Anyone for a third team?

We definitely left some notable scratches.

How the hell can Gretzky justify picking an old cripple, and a goalie who has lost more of his talent than he has left...over a great young pillar of a netminder in Jose Theodore? It doesn't make any sense.

If Belfour plays, his back is a problem. If Brodeur plays, we're almost screwed. Hopefully they just play Luongo... but I'm still pissed that Theodore didn't make the team.

Anyways, it's good to see Iggy and Robyn Regehr made the squad instead of some other old guys who are either crippled and/or have lost what made them special.

Theodore is worse then Lalime...and that is saying something. Theodore had one good season wining the MVP. The next year he lost his starting job to Jeff fucking Hackett. Good picks in netminding and we should see Brodeur and Luongo carrying the load. These two will be good for Canada with Belfour as insurance.

Yea, Clawsons right. If you wanna be a potential superstar and get picked for your nations team, I wouldn't suggest having a great season, and then losing the job to Jeff Hackett. He's good, no doubt, but he isn't showing it, and untill he does he shouldn't get it because hes younger. If anything, they should get the spots because they're nearing the end of their career and they CAN still play. They'll be gone soon, making room for Luongo and whoever else.

I am by no means an Ed Belfour fan but after what he did to Ottawa there is no way that you can't put him on that team. Brodeu still has a lot left in him and can be a great goaltender for this team. I don't think that I really need to comment about Luongo.

And Clawson, as far as McCabe not being on the team, the guy is overrated. He gives coughs up to many pucks and is frankly not nearly as great of a player as Leaf fans make him out to be. McCabe is good at best but to make Team Canada you need to be great.

McCabe had a better season than Pronger, Brewer, and Regehr. His +/- compared to the other two shows that he is NOT a defensive liability, as you claim. He may be a bit over-rated by some, but he had an outstanding year, and was one of the top five defencemen in the NHL, easily.

Pronger has more experience than McCabe, which is fine for his inclusion. Redden had about as good of a season as McCabe, which is fine. I don't understand how Brewer and Regehr got chosen over him, though.

McCabe is also an incredibly steady performer. He played steadily underpar last year [6 goals, 30 assists or something], and he played steadily amazing this year [53 points, I believe, second in NHL d-man scoring].

McCabe had two absolutely terrible play-off games, which is probably the top reason for his exclusion. He choked in two high-impact games and it cost his team dearly.

Buuuut, he's not there now, and knowing his luck, he'll be passed over again, should any of the already-named defenders not be able to participate.

But if you're going to include playoff games you have to ask what Redden did against Toronto. He was a complete non-factor and I don't think I heard he name mentioned once during the series.

Then Regehr had an absolutely atroicous game after being named to the team. But there is now point in crying over spilled milk.

Redden, although may have not been a huge factor, did not cost his team games, that would be the fall on Lalime. McCabe did and you have to look at the way a player plays in key games when you select players to a national team.

With that being said, Clawson, you and I are both biased since you are a Leaf fan and I am a Sens fan. McCabe is a good player, as I already mentioned, but if he gives up pucks the way he did against Philly then can you honestly say that that would not conecern you if he made the team?