NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

Cherry was hyping up Calgary... I don't know if they could hear him, or not, but you know the erection Cherry has for Canadian hockey.

Anyway, when he heard scattered booing, he turned around and said "Hey, SHUT UP" which got them really ticked off.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You watch the game? You hear them boo the anthem?

No, I didn't either.

The US/Canada thing won't fly if the fans don't buy into it.

Renberg done with the NHL

Renberg inks deal with Swedish club

KEN CAMPBELL

SPORTS REPORTER

Saying he's definitely "through with the NHL," former Maple Leaf right winger Mikael Renberg announced yesterday he has signed a three-year deal with Lulea of the Swedish Elite league.

"I'm sorry I never had a chance to win the Stanley Cup," Renberg said. "But it was three fantastic years in Toronto."

Renberg, 32, was due to become an unrestricted free agent July 1. The Leafs apparently informed Renberg he wasn't in their plans because, technically, he's under contract until then and can't sign with another team.

Renberg scored 40 goals and 112 points in three seasons with the Leafs, but missed a total of 60 games with various injuries, the most recent of which was a serious hamstring problem that dates back to the 2002 playoffs.

Renberg appeared in just 13 of 40 playoff games, including three of 13 this season. He leaves the NHL with 190 goals and 465 points in 661 career games.

Renberg came to the Leafs in the summer of 2001 as part of a deal with the Phoenix Coyotes.

Renberg, centre Robert Reichel and minor leaguer Craig Mills came to Toronto in exchange for defenceman Danny Markov and flashy winger Sergei Berezin.

Neither Reichel nor Renberg had played in the NHL for two seasons before the trade.

The Leafs are not expected to pick up the $4 million (U.S.) option on Reichel's contract.

Toronto Star

A shame. He was one of the guys I loved to watch on the Flyers in the 90s. Him and Reichel haven't done much as Leafs but both are highly skilled, they were just dealt shitty hands (Renberg is injury prone).

I heard that on the score, I actually read this in todays paper:

Fire destroys Boyle's house

Blaze begins during Game 1

By Nancy Marrapese-Burrell, Globe Staff  |  May 27, 2004

BRANDON, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Dan Boyle thought the only flames he was going to have to worry about were the ones from Calgary that he's battling in the Stanley Cup finals.

However, when he arrived home after Tuesday night's 4-1 loss in Game 1, he was devastated to see that his two-story home was in ruins as a result of an electrical fire that started in a game room, burned an outside wall, and then quickly spread to his attic.

Boyle, who lives in South Tampa, was playing when the firefighters got the call at 10:33 p.m. Only a few minutes later, according to the Tampa Tribune, they arrived to find flames shooting through the roof.

They were able to contain the blaze in about 20 minutes and Boyle came home about 30-40 minutes later. The damage was extensive to the $435,000 home, estimated to be in the $300,000 range. Nobody was injured.

According to the paper, an electrical outlet on the first floor was the origin of the fire.

What a coincidence. After getting burned on one of those breakaways his house gets burned, and he's playing a team called the Flames. Lucky he isn't playing a team like the Predators, Whacko Jacko might break into his house. :blink:

I did not watch the whole game, but from what I seen, Calgary was playing very sloppy for a team in the situation that they were in. They were not floorchecking as hard tonight as in game 1, and that seemed to bite them on the ass tonight. However I think they can pull through in game 3 and 4, with Bret Harts support 8)

Floorchecking? :lol:

I agree with you on everything else. It was a really sloppy game. Lots of chances, both ways actually. The main difference was Tampa was allowed to infiltrate the crease and pot rebounds, otherwise the game would have gone to overtime 1-1.

Renberg and Reichel were fucking terrible in Toronto.

Renberg played 20 games on the top line with Sundin and Roberts, and generated about 4 points [no exageration] during that timespan.

He did precisely DICK ALL the rest of the year.

Reichel had a decent year, even though paying him what we paid him is just incredibly retarded. He was a decent defensive player, but sucked a dick offensively. He showed some balls in the corners and wasn't afraid to take/give a hit - then again, playing on a line with Tucker and Domi will do that to you. He still sucks and isn't worth what we paid him, not even half of that.

Whew what an awesome shot. Right off the corner of the post.

Shean Donovan. This crowd is making me happy and sad at the same time.

Miss the Leafs?