NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

Same. Only with the Canucks. I feel like a traitor, supporting that team that eliminated the home team and likely cost Brian Burke his job.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooooo poor Fedtatenko. That was a hit from behind... so painful, so dirty. Headshot. Needs to be penalized, which it wasn't.

3-0.

Iginla on the powerplay. Nice deflection. And hey, for all the talk about how awesome the goaltending is, thats 3 games so far with 13 goals. Who says we need more offense in the NHL?

Okay, we clearly have differing opinions on what a hit from behind is.

Regher was behind him, and he rode him, face first, into the boards.

That's a hit from behind.

A lot of people think you have to charge the guy to hit him from behind. That's generally what they call hitting from behind. But in my opinion, if the guy is unable to defend himself and you take him face first into the boards, that should be a major penalty.

Fedtatenko was slipping. He didn't need to get that last shove that sent him into the boards. I'm sure Regher didn't mean to break his face, but it was clearly a play that could have and should have been avoided. He just ate the boards, and was unable in any way to stop himself.

It was one of those ugly head shots the league insists on cutting down. Only instead of using an elbow, he used the boards. It doesn't make it any better.

He was simply doing what a player should do - he was riding him along the board.

Yes, giving him space would've been great. Allowing him to walk out from the boards and get a clear pass off would've done wonders for the Flames, that would've been great defence.

The shove into the boards happens ALL THE TIME. It's not necessarily a hit; he's trying to throw him off balance, from a distance of less than a foot.

It was more of a "freak accident", where - if Rusty was still skating fine - nothing should/would've happened. It just was a bad mistiming from Regehr to choose the moment that Rusty began to slip as the moment when he'd run him into the boards.

PS - he also hit his face on the ledge of the boards; had he missed the ledge, the hit wouldn't have been NEARLY as bad, and nobody would be having this discussion right now.

Edited by grind your soul

So Tampa can throw elbows all over the place, but when Calgary is clearly defeated, and getting revenge for earlier cheap tactics is pretty much the only way they can save face - they're dirty?

So what's Tampa, angels?

'Cause if you call Calgary dirty, you have to call Tampa unclean, too.

Edit - I'm not saying that Calgary isn't dirty. But to call them a team of thugs whilst saying nothing about Tampa's tactics is kind of uneducated.

Edited by grind your soul

Calgary is a dirty team.  Look any time they get down in a game, they start fights everywhere.  They are a team of dirty thugs

Your luck I missed spitting my pop all over the keyboard when I read that. I don't recall Calgary being down in the game when Ignila fought Lecaliver. You may have also forgotten the phrase "It takes two to tango".

Biggest homer post in EWB history.

Calgary is very much the redneck capital of Canada. I wouldn't be suprised if they took after their American friends and started fighting dirty, and beating women.

And GYS, we'll agree to disagree. It was a freak accident and it was bad timing, but it doesn't change the fact that it could have been much more serious, and it could have been avoided.

Hits where a player is defenseless... the Bertuzzi hit on Moore, Moore's hit on Bertuzzi, Reghers shove on Fedtatenko... are incredibly dangerous, and should be avoided and an attempt made to deter them.

Anyway, game's starting.

Guest Hit Man 3120

Your luck I missed spitting my pop all over the keyboard when I read that. I don't recall Calgary being down in the game when Ignila fought Lecaliver. You may have also forgotten the phrase "It takes two to tango".

Biggest homer post in EWB history.

Actually Im from Michigan. But look at Game 2, TB just over took them and so instead of taking a loss like a man and learning from it, they start throwing cheap shots and start a bunch of fights

Actually Im from Michigan.  But look at Game 2, TB just over took them and so instead of taking a loss like a man and learning from it, they start throwing cheap shots and start a bunch of fights

What's wrong with fightning? And there was one cheap shot and that was the Gelinas crosscheck. Tampa had almost as many penatlies as Calgary in that game too.

And Fraser is blowing chunks as a ref again. This guy needs to be booted out of big games.

Edited by Clawson

Guest Hit Man 3120

What's wrong with fightning? And there was one cheap shot and that was the Gelinas crosscheck. Tampa had almost as many penatlies as Calgary in that game too.

And Fraser is blowing chunks as a ref again. This guy needs to be booted out of big games.

Its not needed. Its a part of the game yes, but not when your losing and you get frustrated and just decide to start shit

But what a glove save by Khabibulin. Even deuces, go get em Palace Southeast

Good game tonight, save for Nieminen's hit from behind on Lecavalier. There was really no need for it to happen, and the situation could easily have been avoided. Again, Nieminen lives up to his reputation as a Class A shit disturber.

EDIT: This one needs addressing

Its not needed. Its a part of the game yes, but not when your losing and you get frustrated and just decide to start shit

Then when exactly is it okay to fight in hockey? Were the shoe on the other foot and Tamapa Bay, obviously your preferred team, were down, would you condone fighting then?

You were right about one thing at least. Fighting is a part of hockey. A big one, in fact. And the way I see it, it's absolutely necessary. f guys can't fight, you'll see a very sharp increase in dirty, cheap shot penalties when guys get pissed off with one another. t's a lot more honourable and dignified to fight a guy face to face then cheap shot him from behind.

Edited by caucasianheat

If you want an example of how fighting can be the lesser of two evils, have Steve Moore, or Rob Blake, drop the gloves with Bertuzzi instead of him losing his cool and crippling the guy.

If Moore went and fought him, or one of his teammates did, both guys fight no problem... but that didn't happen and one guy left in a collar.