NHL Playoffs Thread [03/04]

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The damn Calgary Flames in the Cup Final, good lord.  A Tampa/Calgary final, no wonder no one watches the NHL

:rolleyes:

1. Tampa isn't in the final yet.

2. Calgary is far fucking better then the Devils, and a much better Cindarella then the boring Ducks.

4. Tampa isn't in the final yet.

5. Fuck off. You're obviously a table tenis fan according to your sig. Go watch your faggy wrist flicky non-contact sport. Leave the real sport to us men.

6. Tampa isn't in the final yet.

7. The Flames beat THREE DIVISONAL CHAMPIONS AND THE PRESIDENTS TROPHY WINNER on their way to the Stanley Cup Final. This was the year they won their first playoff series in 10 years, and now to make it to the final is the ultimate culmination. You couldn't write this shit better, but you like table tennis, so whatever.

8. Tampa isn't in the final yet.

9. You know, there was a warning in the thread on EWB 3 not to come in if you just wanted to flame hockey. If people want to flame hockey, maybe you should move to England and watch soccer, and if you can survive the 60 minutes of "he holds.... holds it... holds it... he's walking.... HE'S WALKING.... HE'S WALKING!!!!! HE'S WALKING!!!!!!!! He loses it... they pick it up... they hold it... they hold it.... they walk out.... they're walking.... they're walking.... THEY'RE WALKING....... THEY'RE WALKING!!!!!! And thats the end of the game." then chances are you'll be so fucking bored you'll be turned off sports forever, and your opinion will be completely invalidated as a non-sports fan, however illegitimate and weak those sports may be.

10. Have I mentioned Philly will make the cup final?

Don't worry he is warned now...

2 warnings today for the same thing, trolling. Coming into a hockey thread to say something bad about it... if you don't like the sport, common sense would tell you not to come into a thread dedicated to it.

1. Tampa isn't in the final yet.

They will be.

Calgary is far fucking better then the Devils

Well said. No wonder they have trouble selling out......who the hell wants to watch them?

he Flames beat THREE DIVISONAL CHAMPIONS AND THE PRESIDENTS TROPHY WINNER on their way to the Stanley Cup Final.

I hadn't even realized that until tonight.....what an accomplishment for a team no one picked to go to the playoffs.

9. You know, there was a warning in the thread on EWB 3 not to come in if you just wanted to flame hockey. If people want to flame hockey, maybe you should move to England and watch soccer, and if you can survive the 60 minutes of "he holds.... holds it... holds it... he's walking.... HE'S WALKING.... HE'S WALKING!!!!! HE'S WALKING!!!!!!!! He loses it... they pick it up... they hold it... they hold it.... they walk out.... they're walking.... they're walking.... THEY'RE WALKING....... THEY'RE WALKING!!!!!! And thats the end of the game." then chances are you'll be so fucking bored you'll be turned off sports forever, and your opinion will be completely invalidated as a non-sports fan, however illegitimate and weak those sports may be.

Or give him a little American example since I doubt he's seen a soccer game in his life.

Batter steps in........Pitcher gets the sign........batter steps out..............steps back in..........throw to first.................another throw to first............here comes the pitch.........******repeat above*******

I hadn't even realized that until tonight.....what an accomplishment for a team no one picked to go to the playoffs.

Well, look at it this way. If... IF Tampa makes the finals, which isn't a lock but is perhaps likely, and Calgary beats the cup, they will establish a new record in the NHL and one that will never be broken, I don't think.

First team to ever beat 4 Divison Leaders in the Playoffs. First team to beat 4 teams who finished the regular season over 100 points. First team to beat both conferance champions. First team to beat the Presidents trophy winner and go on to win the cup. And they now need only two wins to set the record for most wins on the road in a single playoff year with 11... or tie it with 10? I'm not sure. Still this is incredible for a team that last year finished 17 points out of the playoffs. An amazing turn around and there is only one way a year like this can end.

The Flyers play the Rangers/Devils and win the fucking cup in 4. FUCK YOU FLAMES.

:lol:

Go Flames Go. <_< </Canucks Fan>

U.S. names World Cup roster

Associated Press

5/20/2004

Brett Hull, Mike Modano and Chris Chelios highlight a veteran roster released Thursday by the defending champion United States for this summer's World Cup of Hockey.

``What great strides USA Hockey has taken since I started playing,'' Chelios, 42, said at a news conference in St. Paul, Minn. ``I get another crack at it as we try to defend our World Cup title.''

Also named was defenceman Derian Hatcher of the Detroit Red Wings, who was suspended three games by the NHL last week for elbowing Calgary Flames forward Matthew Lombardi in the head during Game 6 of their second-round series. Since the Red Wings were eliminated in the same game, Hatcher will miss the first three games of the 2004-05 regular season.

But he's eligible to play in the Aug. 30-Sept. 14 World Cup, an NHL and NHL Players' Association tournament.

``The Derian Hatcher suspension was a suspension with a definite term of three regular-season games,'' NHL spokesman Gary Meagher said Thursday in Toronto. ``So it does not impact the World Cup.''

Winger Todd Bertuzzi, on the other hand, is indefinitely suspended and cannot play in the World Cup unless commissioner Gary Bettman reinstates him as an active NHL player. Canada left Bertuzzi off its roster last Saturday.

Among the notable omissions from the 26-player U.S. roster was New Jersey Devils forward Scott Gomez, who drew the ire of USA Hockey after agreeing to join the U.S. team for the April 24-May 9 world championship in Prague only to change his mind on the eve of the tournament. Consider this payback.

``No, I don't feel that,'' said U.S. GM Larry Pleau, denying Gomez's decision not to go to Prague cost him. ``There are other players who are disappointed, too.''

Another surprising absentee was Eric Weinrich of the St. Louis Blues, the veteran defenceman playing in his ninth world championship for the U.S. this spring but still overlooked for the World Cup team.

Peter Laviolette of the Carolina Hurricanes, who guided the Americans to a surprising bronze in Prague, Tim Army of the Washington Capitals and Barry Smith of the Red Wings were named assistant coaches for the U.S. team Thursday, joining head coach Ron Wilson.

The Americans won the inaugural World Cup in 1996, beating Canada in the final, and 13 players are back from that squad while 14 players are back from the 2002 Olympic silver medallists.

It's not a young team, with 19 of the 23 American skaters 30 or older.

``We wanted the experience,'' said Pleau. ``One of the things we talked about is that every game will be like a seventh game of a seven-game series.

``We need a different player to step up and make the difference every night and we feel we have that kind of team here.''

But there's youth in goal, where 22-year-old Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders is joined by 26-year-old Robert Esche of the Philadelphia Flyers and 28-year-old Ty Conklin of the Edmonton Oilers. Esche has made a name for himself in the NHL playoffs this spring while Conklin starred for the U.S. in Prague.

``Ty helped himself (in Prague), there's no question,'' Pleau said. ``He was an all-star goaltender there for us.

``We like him a lot but as far as who is going to be No. 1, we'll let that play itself out.''

Overlooked was veteran Mike Dunham of the New York Rangers, who played in Prague but had a disappointing season.

``We picked the best three goaltenders,'' Pleau said. ``We expect some of our new players to surface and be our unsung heroes and that holds true for our goaltenders.''

Joining Modano and Hull up front are Doug Weight (St. Louis), Jeremy Roenick (Philadelphia), Bill Guerin (Dallas), Keith Tkachuk (St. Louis), Jamie Langenbrunner (New Jersey), Chris Drury (Buffalo), Bryan Smolinski (Ottawa), Tony Amonte (Philadelphia), Brian Rolston (Boston), Craig Conroy (Calgary), Jeff Halpern (Washington), Jason Blake (N.Y. Islanders) and Steve Konowalchuk (Colorado).

Chelios (Detroit) is joined on a veteran blue-line by Hatcher, Mathieu Schneider (Detroit), Brian Leetch (Toronto), Brian Rafalski (New Jersey), Aaron Miller (Los Angeles), Ken Klee (Toronto) and youngster Jordan Leopold, who forced his way onto the team with his play during Calgary's run to the Stanley Cup final.

``We feel we have a great mixture here, of experience and youth,'' Pleau said.

The U.S. is the fifth country to announce its World Cup roster following Canada, Sweden, Germany and Slovakia. Russia, Finland and the Czech Republic are expected to announce their rosters on Tuesday, the last possible date.

The Americans will hold their training camp in Columbus, Ohio, from Aug. 20-30 and will face Canada in an exhibition game at Nationwide Arena on Aug. 23. The Americans open defence of their World Cup title with a round-robin game Aug. 31 against the Olympic champion Canadians at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

Guest Hit Man 3120

I love hockey. But a final with Calgary, sadly no matter how good they are, will not draw in the US

And to Flyer fan up there, fuck you back and scoreboard back to 1997, Wings 4 Flyers 0

I love hockey.  But a final with Calgary, sadly no matter how good they are, will not draw in the US

And to Flyer fan up there, fuck you back and scoreboard back to 1997, Wings 4 Flyers 0

Quit living in the past.

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love hockey.  But a final with Calgary, sadly no matter how good they are, will not draw in the US

Fuck you reciprocated.

Rewind your scoreboard back to May 3rd. Wings 2, Flames 4. But the Flames suck, right? That must mean the Red Wings swallow.

Go back to basketball, troll. Because pretending to be a hockey fan doesn't work for you.

That's fine. I don't mind if you root for Tampa. But I'm not going to, because I like the Flyers.

And the avatar came when NBT called Tampa in 5, and I said "Fuck that". On my harddrive, the filename is actually FuckNBT.jpg. :D

True hockey fans wouldn't care either way as long as they get a good game of puck. It shouldn't matter what teams are playing or where it's being held.

And why would you bring up the past to "rewind the scoreboard". In that case I could say, "let's go back and rewind that scoreboard to the '94 finals, Rangers 3 'Nucks 2," but the Rangers still suck now.

You suck. You should stay out of hockey threads all together and save some face.