Stand-Up Comedians

Benji

I like Chris Rock but he isn't really amazing. I remember the Def Jam Comedy I watched where the crowd just didn't connect with him. He tries maybe too hard at times. He's damn funny most of the time though I'll give him that.

I also forgot Jonathan Ross. Not really stand up but I think the guy is brilliant and hilarious.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does everyone - who likes him - see in Jimmy Carr? From what I've seen he can't do one show without making the "fattist" joke - he's just so...bleh. I can't say I like Ricky Gervais that much too but I would watch them due to the lack of stand up comedy on British TV today.

Oh, and if anyone saw Comic Aid - who was the guy who pretended to be Iranian (or was he actually Iranian) I can't remember his name exactly but he added a new sort of funny to the show.

I much prefer political style stand up in the form of Bill Bailey to the Peter Kay style (while still funny) i just think Bill Bailey's and others have more of a meaning to comedy than just "haha jokey funny".

Did anyone understand that? I don't think I did.

Oh, and if anyone saw Comic Aid - who was the guy who pretended to be Iranian (or was he actually Iranian) I can't remember his name exactly but he added a new sort of funny to the show.

I didn't see it, but I think its that Omar (Omad maybe) Djallili. He's a fat bloke, isn't he? He's actually been in some films as well. Funny guy.

For anyone who is a little doubtful about Ricky Gervais' stand up, get his Politics DVD, pure comic gold!

Jack Dee is my favourite I'd say, with Ricky Gervais, Ross Noble, Bill Bailey and Jimmy Carr also favourites (I'm more a fan of Carr in comedy, then stand-up though).

I so miss Eddie Murphy as a stand-up...Raw and Delirious were both pure gold, but unfortunately, we'll never see him do that kind of material on stage or in movies again. Dammit.

Anywho, some other fave stand-ups:

Redd Foxx--His old party albums are dirty AND funny, something most guys today can only get half-right.

Sinbad--Proved to me that clean could be funny, too.

Richard Jeni--Everything can be a joke when presented to Rich.

Bill Maher--He was great before he got his own shows. I enjoyed Politically Incorrect for a while, but Real Time is just him being bitter.

Eddie Izzard--Visually jarring when you first see him, and then the material is topnotch, making you able to overlook the fact that he's in a dress and whorish makeup.

George Carlin--The entire English language is open to dissection when he's onstage. I listened to a seven-disc Carlin box set when I was moving to Kansas City, and was still laughing after eight hours and 500 miles.

Brett Butler--She's hillbilly and proud of it, but unlike the Blue Collar Comedy Tour guys, it's not her whole gimmick.

Ah, good shit. I love me some stand-up.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Peter Kay, Ricky Gervais, Lee Evans, Chubby Brown, there are others that I'll no doubt enjoy too, but I don't buy many stand-up DVDs.

People like Jack Dee? I find some of his stuff cringe worthy, Harry Hill? thats even worse, his TV Burp shows just how shit he is, he uses canned laughter, tells jokes like someones dad and is just generally shit, urgh, you people suck.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Like I said, I don't buy his DVD's, usually watch them at a friends when drunk, but I can say I'd sooner here a 30 second joke from him over anything Harry Hill does, theres a reason why he's never made primetime TV and thats because he's not funny.

Possibly the most unpopular comedian too, Harry Hill is kind of like a real-life David Brent, his jokes are so rubbish its just embarrasing. You're the 2nd person I've ever heard that liked him, I'd like to see him crucified for crimes against comedy.

Canned Laughter and comedians don't mix, its like laughing at your own jokes, which he also does.

Edited by muddatrucker