FA Cup Semi Final Draw

J-Rod

An FA Cup final between bitter rivals Arsenal and Manchester United remains a possibility after the pair were kept apart in the semi-final draw.

The Gunners were first out of the hat and were drawn to face Mark Hughes' Blackburn Rovers.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side will take on Newcastle, who are looking to win the FA Cup for the first time in 50 years.

The semi-finals will be played on Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 April at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

With Chelsea closing in on the Premiership title, both Arsenal and Manchester United will see the FA Cup as their best chance of silverware this season.

But the Old Trafford outfit must overcome the in-form Magpies, who have won seven successive matches.

Ferguson will come up against striker Alan Shearer, who they tried to sign earlier in his career and who is desperate to win a trophy with his hometown club before he retires at the end of the season.

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd said he was desperate to see the Magpies avange a defeat by Manchester United in the 1999 FA Cup final.

"It's not the draw we wanted, but it won't have been the draw Manchester United wanted either," he told the Newcastle website.

"But there's no reason why we cannot beat them. We won't be frightened.

"We owe them one for the FA Cup final defeat in 1999 - so we'll look forward to this one."

In the other semi, Arsenal face a Blackburn side who have struggled in the Premiership this season.

But Rovers assistant boss Mark Bowen warned the Gunners not to underestimate the opposition.

"We've never felt so wanted as we have in the last 24 hours," he said.

"Everybody wanted us, but we're going to show everybody that if Arsenal take us lightly then we're well prepared and they'll come a cropper.

"We're delighted with the draw and delighted to be in the semi-final with three of the biggest clubs in Europe."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Not a bad draw. Was I the only Man Utd supporter that didn't actually want Blackburn? I think I'll take Newcastle any day.

Just, I dunno, I fear Arsenal more than Man Utd. I know Man Utd have been pretty good (Milan aside) and Arsenal have been stuttering just I do fear them more.

Of course, Newcastle would of probably been better for Rovers. I hate how the press were begging for Arsenal and Man Utd to be in different games. Who is to say they will both make the final and/or them being in the final will be a good game?

J-Rod, why would you have preferred Newcastle over than playing us?

Good draw.

Cant wait for United/United, should be a damn good clash if both teams are at there best. I'd say Manchester United will be more fired up for it if they finally have no chance of winning the Premiership, which right now they still do. I'd expect Manchester United to come out on top but you never know in these games, hope Newcastle are at there best actually.

Arsenal/Blackburn will probably be an alright game where Arsenal should win, but once again it is the FA cup so you never know.

I'm really hoping for an Arsenal/Man U final, that would be fucking awesome.

Manchester United will advance.

Newcastle have been poor and have just about scraped by to get this far, United on the other hand have been excellent in this competition in spite of some difficult draws. Just like they're drawing against Bolton, Arsenal aren’t yet guaranteed a place in the final...Blackburn can make things difficult for any team on a day. Once again, it'll be tough to call.

It'll take a lot for the Rovers to get past Arsenal but I'm hoping the boys will at least make it difficult for the Gunners. Savage and Molokena or whatever his name is can make it difficult for any midfielders in the division.

Me and some mates were watching sky sports news waiting the draw and when it came through I was pissed off. Newcastle are out of the cup. Blackburn we could beat (I'm fairly confident), Arsenal I believe we could possibly hold off however Man United, we either beat them convinvingly or get our arses handed to us. And the way we're playing for most part we're going to have our arse handed to us.

There's still the UEFA Cup though.

Just, I dunno, I fear Arsenal more than Man Utd. I know Man Utd have been pretty good (Milan aside) and Arsenal have been stuttering just I do fear them more.

Of course, Newcastle would of probably been better for Rovers. I hate how the press were begging for Arsenal and Man Utd to be in different games. Who is to say they will both make the final and/or them being in the final will be a good game?

J-Rod, why would you have preferred Newcastle over than playing us?

• Admin

Funnily enough, I wanted Arsenal in the draw. Newcastle and Man Utd have much stronger defences at the moment, and when you score as few as we do, you don't want to be play teams who don't leak much.

Arsenal on the other hand, you've always got a chance of getting a goal. I guess this Saturday's game should be a rough indicator of how Arsenal will cope with our new style of play.

Realistically, I'd say it would be an Arsenal / Man U final, but I still have a niggling feeling one of them won't make it through. Too much press hype on the Arsenal / Man U final, so we're bound to see Arsenal / Newcastle or Blackburn / Man U instead.

I think a lot of people in here are very wishful thinkers. Just because it's Alan Shearer's last season doesn't mean Newcastle automatically have a much better chance of winning it. I can't see why you'd think it'd be anything other than a ManU/Arsenal final. Just because the press are hyping it you're all wishing against the inevitable. As much as I'd love for Blackburn to beat Arsenal I think it'll still be a ManU/Arsenal final and Utd will beat Arsenal for the fourth time this season.

Oh, and I still think it sucks that the semi's are held in Cardiff. They should only have the final there.

I think a lot of people in here are very wishful thinkers. Just because it's Alan Shearer's last season doesn't mean Newcastle automatically have a much better chance of winning it. I can't see why you'd think it'd be anything other than a ManU/Arsenal final. Just because the press are hyping it you're all wishing against the inevitable. As much as I'd love for Blackburn to beat Arsenal I think it'll still be a ManU/Arsenal final and Utd will beat Arsenal for the fourth time this season.

Oh, and I still think it sucks that the semi's are held in Cardiff. They should only have the final there.

Man Utd vs Blackburn

Arsenal vs Newcastle

That woulda been a better draw for the footy fan with no alligiance.

Then you'd probably end up with a Man U vs Arse final which speaks for itself or a massive Man U vs Newcastle final which the old romantics would be happy with.

As it is, I speak for most people when I say COME ON BLACKBURN!

I'm bewildered by some of the opinions in this thread. Typical United fans for the most part, over confiudent to the point of swelling and exploding. Newcastle aren't on form? An eight match winning streak staring me in the face here, so I would beg to differ. Fair enough, Tottenham ran all over us but we held out due to some fantasic defending and Shay Given. Love that man.

The fact of the matter is, we have done better than every opponent we've faced. Why? Football is about scoring goals and for the past eight games we have done that better than our opponents. 1 loss out of 16 games in 2005 also suggests we are on what most sane people would call good form.

I don't say because it's Shearer's last season we will win the cup. I say it because we have developed a team that battles for every yard of grass on the pitch and never gives up. Even Robert is busting his ass for us match in and match out at the moment. I didn't see Liverpool beating Olymiakos 7-1 over two games, or Manchester United for that matter a few years back I believe.

If anyone honestly believes Manchester United will walk over Newcatle, there crazy. This is football, anything can happen. But Newcastle right now are as in form as United. I'll agree, the Arsenal and United final is odds on favourite to happen but how can you deny there isn't a hope for the Toon yet? Come the weekend of 16th of April we'll see whether its all hype on our behalf, but somehow, someway, I can see it being our day.

Hell, we drew Chelsea and everyone turned around and said ... "There Out". Yes, Chelsea played a weak team but that team was still a higher standard than half the current Premiership teams. I remember saying after seeing that draw, if it was to be our year, it would be a fairy tale one. I remember the excact words ... "I can bloody see it now. If we stand any chance of winning this, we'll have to get past Chelsea. Then no doubt we'll get United or Aresenal. Then have to face the other in the bloody final."

Well, here we stand, semi finalists and in football, fdreams do come true. So don't write us off just yet.