International Football!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Europe's qualifying (as i suppose is the one you care for) is composed by 8 groups.

Europe will have 14 participants in the cup.

Germany are allready qualified obviously. The winner of each group will join them in the World Cup. 9 done, 5 to go.

The 2 best Second Placed teams qualify without the need for a playoff. 11 done, 3 to go.

That leaves as with 6 second placed teams. Those will play for their right to be there in a two legged playoff. That's where you get the remaining 3 teams.

Goal difference (and not amount of goals scored) decides the position of two teams with the same number of points obviously.

Goal Difference also decides the two second placed teams who will go straight to the cup without the need for a playoff, in case there are teams tied.

Games against Andorra, Luxembourg and Kazakhstan don't count for this goal difference though.

Yeah... i'm not kidding.

Never knew Owen said that.

Apparently, Owen denied saying anything like what Alberto/a said he said. He made a comment about the top goals scored in an England game being 5, and what an honour it would be to score that many, but he didn't say he would, or even reference Azerbaijan in the comment.

EDIT: And lanky, Goal Difference doesn't....only after Matches Against Each Other.

SECOND EDIT: I mean when seperating teams in the group, not the second placed teams.

Edited by rvdwannabe

I was given the impression by the beeb last night that if we dropped points and Poland made up the deficeit it was advantage Poland, even though we beat them at their place.

Hmmm..I'm sure they said it was games against each other that counted first. Goal difference is always good to shore up though, just in case I guess, which is why they made a big deal about it.

Owen quotes, which allude to it:

"The chances to rack up a cricket score in international football are few and far between these days. So if the opportunity is there on Wednesday we've got the ruthless streak."

"Wednesday's game looks like an opportunity to get a few goals."

From a the Sun on Tuesday, nothing concrete but it does sugest it.

"The chances to rack up a cricket score in international football are few and far between these days. So if the opportunity is there on Wednesday we've got the ruthless streak."

From the Sun on Tuesday, nothing concrete but it does sugest it.

To me, the bolded point is where it loses validaity to me. The Sun puts so much BS in thier sports pages.

Agreed, I think it was the Sun reader menthality that had people thinking we'd hammer them, my initial thought was it'll be tight and I predicted 2 - 1. S I was gutted when Robbo made that ave in the last 15 minutes!

Malenko, cheers for clearing that up. I was pretty sure it was usually goal difference since it is in a lot of competitions, but I know some are a little different, e.g. The Six Nations being the only major competition (Not sure about super 12) to not operate a bonus point system.

Scoring the most would (probably) only apply when it comes to seperating teams in different groups, or if the game against Poland has the same scoreline reversed and we finish on the same number of points. Of course, if a country scores a load of goals but concedes a load as well, then they cancel each other out.

Edited by The Rock Box

How can you take part in a football discussion if you don't know the scoring system.

Put simply for you -

Win - 3 points

draw - 1 point

lose - point

Goal difference comes into account if two or more teams have the same number of points.

I never asked about the system. They said last night on football about two teams or something scoring the most and they go through. I know the usual stuff but not this World Cup shit where they start making things all crazy :P

From the Sun on Tuesday, nothing concrete but it does sugest it.

To me, the bolded point is where it loses validaity to me. The Sun puts so much BS in thier sports pages.

I was actually getting pretty annoyed by Motson contantly going on about the goal difference. All England need to do is win all their games against pretty mediocre sides and even a draw against Poland at Old Trafford will see us go through pretty comfortably. No need to be concerned about goal difference just yet.

I hate how everyone is actually "pleased" with the result against Azerbaijan. No discredit to Azerbajian, because if they tried, they could be decent enough to not lose every game... but the gulf of talent was there for all to see. Okay, we didn't NEED to blitz them, but even when we never bothered, you could still see we weren't perfect. We are simply not a world class team.

And our goals against Northern Ireland and Azerbaijan - where did most of them come from? Unless I'm mistaken, most of our goals recently have not come from Beckham or Joe Cole crossing it into the centre from the wings, but from going straight up the middle. Maybe it's me, but doesn't this suggest we've been playing a style that doesn't seem to fit? Not that I'm not impressed with how both Beckham and Joe Cole are playing, because Beckham's doing very well and Cole has shown what he's made off. Unfortunately, now it's everyone else who's doing a little shit.