Clever BBC

Liam

The BBC has admitted to being "very embarrassed" after requesting an interview with Bob Marley - 24 years after the singer died.

The corporation asked to speak to the late reggae star, who died of cancer at the age of 36, for a documentary on his hit song No Woman No Cry.

In an email sent to the Bob Marley Foundation, the BBC said the interview would involve the Jamaican reggae legend "spending one or two days with us".

It added that the story, an hour-long show which was designed to follow a similar documentary on BBC Three on the Queen Song Bohemian Rhapsody, "would only work with some participation from Bob Marley himself".

The BBC said it had apologised to the Marley Foundation, which had been "extremely good humoured" about the blunder.

A BBC statement said: "We are obviously very embarrassed that we didn't realise that the letter to the Marley Foundation did not acknowledge that Mr Marley is no longer with us.

"Because of the volume of approaches we have sent out this was a genuine mistake when a sentence in a standard letter was overlooked.

"The Marley Foundation have been extremely good humoured about this and we have apologised for the error.

"We have sent out hundreds of letters to icons and musicians and we have had a great response from many who want to take part in an access-driven series, following the success of the BBC Three documentary, 'The Story Of Bohemian Rhapsody'."

In February, thousands of fans gathered in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa for a concert to honour the 60th birthday of the singer, who died in May 1981.

Now, thats the corporation who are run with help by the government, and control most of what is on our TV....how wonderful.

Guest Ringmaster

Bob Marley's not dead, he's hiding in a cave with Malcom X and Hitler.

And from what I've seen on BBC Canada, Eastenders is one of the worst shows of all time.

Edited by retsamgniR

It wasn't mis-written. They basically added a sentence saying they'd have to spend a couple of days with Bob to discuss the single, or album.

They sent one to Queen as well, I think thats all they sent it to.

I'm not making a big deal about it, its just fucking stupid.

It wasn't mis-written. They basically added a sentence saying they'd have to spend a couple of days with Bob to discuss the single, or album.

They sent one to Queen as well, I think thats all they sent it to.

I'm not making a big deal about it, its just fucking stupid.

No, they didn't send one to Queen. Read the article, it says that their Queen documentary was a success so they're commissioning a lot of similar ones. Chances are they had a template for the letters they were sending out and forgot to edit the Bob Marley one.