NBC possibly interested in picking up Angel.....

BlackFlagg

From Buffy.nu:

From an inside source at NBC :

"It has come to our attention that there has been a vast public interest to see a return of this series. A forthcoming series is in negotiation, and NBC will go ahead with a sixth season if the public response is strong enough."

The reliability of the source has been checked with NBC Internal Documents.

Buffy.nu : We already know that the final meeting with angel writers and producers has been set up in a few weeks (we got the date), so you have time to show your support to these negociations by replying to this article !

We ask for help from all Buffy/Angel/Firefly websites and all the Whedon Fandom, NBC will check the feedback on this page, so show your angel love here !

http://www.buffy.nu/forum.php3?id_article=...6recalcul%3Doui

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mixed on this... I'd love to still have Angel to watch, cause I love all things in the Buffy Universe. With that being said, I wasn't crazy about this last season... if things continue to go downhill, it won't be so fun to watch (i.e. - the last few seasons of Buffy). Angel seasons 2-4 were awesome, it's hard to keep that kind of quality, you know?

With that being said, I'd still watch every single episode of Angel for however long it goes, no matter how bad it gets. I'm a fanboy like that <_<

I want to see it picked back up, but from what I've seen of Season Five (I only get new one's sporadically) it will be hard to do, as so many of the characters have been "drastically" effected by one thing or another in this past season.

Anyways, if NBC picked Angel up, it would be kickass, because I'd actually get to watch the new episodes every week.

Right now, I watch Angel every night, either on Space or Fox, and I still love it.

Is NBC really that desperate? I mean, I got nothing against Angel, I'm absolutely sure it's a great show with how dedicated the fanbase is, but it's ratings haven't even been good by cable standards. NBC is losing alot next year, but those are comedies not dramas. I highly doubt this will happen, although maybe Jeff Zucker is just a dedicated Angel fan who wants to see the show continued for his own purposes.

Guest bruins72

While I doubt this will happen, I have to wonder how a show like Angel or Buffy would fare on one of the "Big 3" networks (Fox doesn't count. They're still bush-league. Plus we know they'd screw it up. Look at Firefly). Would they promote it better? I know I'm oblivious to what is shown on UPN or WB. It flies right under the radar. If it was on one of the big networks, they could advertise during popular shows and draw in many new viewers. I have to wonder if Angel has too much backstory to do that though. Firefly brought to NBC would be a much better option.

I'm not a big fan of Buffy or Angel, and I haven't watched much of either show...only Buffy really, but what I've seen, I've always liked the guy that played Spike and thought that i'd be cool to see a series on him.

While I doubt this will happen, I have to wonder how a show like Angel or Buffy would fare on one of the "Big 3" networks (Fox doesn't count. They're still bush-league. Plus we know they'd screw it up. Look at Firefly). Would they promote it better? I know I'm oblivious to what is shown on UPN or WB. It flies right under the radar. If it was on one of the big networks, they could advertise during popular shows and draw in many new viewers. I have to wonder if Angel has too much backstory to do that though. Firefly brought to NBC would be a much better option.

FOX isn't bush league, they're the number three network. Right now if any of the big four are bush league it's ABC. Angel, or any teen marketed show for that matter, would be best on cable, although FOX would be the best spot for one of those shows from a network perspective. NBC aren't exactly promotional geniuses themselves you know. The fact that Scrubs could go three years without gaining a Will and Grace like audience with how good it is just goes to show NBC's obvious lack of ability to market to youth. Firefly, Angel, or any teen show for that matter would fail on NBC. CBS, on the other hand, have proven to be quite good at promotion. They do have a huge teen hit, Joan of Arcadia. If Angel is best to go anywhere, it'd be Fridays at 9 on CBS after Joan.

Angel would work out fine on NBC, they're desperate for shows with Friends and Frasier gone. Plus, NBC doesn't have any true Fantasy-esque shows, it'll balance their line up and give them something to compete against the others with.

FOX would fuck Angel up just like they do with every other good show they have. They constantly bump shit around and Angel would just get lost in the shuffle. Fans would be confused enough with a network change, then Fox would just shift its timeslot to accomodate for "Joe Penis Pump"

CBS could work if David Boreanaz was 80 years old.

ABC sucks, they haven't had a good new series since Drew Carey and that was 10 years ago.

Looks like NBC is the place to be. Glad to see the folks over at savingangel.org are really making an impact.

Angel would work out fine on NBC, they're desperate for shows with Friends and Frasier gone.  Plus, NBC doesn't have any true Fantasy-esque shows, it'll balance their line up and give them something to compete against the others with.

FOX would fuck Angel up just like they do with every other good show they have.  They constantly bump shit around and Angel would just get lost in the shuffle.  Fans would be confused enough with a network change, then Fox would just shift its timeslot to accomodate for "Joe Penis Pump"

CBS could work if David Boreanaz was 80 years old.

ABC sucks, they haven't had a good new series since Drew Carey and that was 10 years ago.

Looks like NBC is the place to be.  Glad to see the folks over at savingangel.org are really making an impact.

It would probably have the opposite effect. There would be no good lead in to keep viewers. Besides, NBC needs comedies to fill out Tuesday, and dramas wouldn't be able to hold that spot.

FOX might fuck it up, but then again they've proven loyal to Arrested Development. Maybe a post American Idol slot could = ratings bonanza.

Like I said, CBS has a large teen audience on Friday with Joan of Arcadia, following it up with Angel as opposed to JAG seems a smart thing to do.

ABC does suck. Nuff said.

I just can't see Angel working on CBS... I don't even get how Joan of Arcadia is working on Friday nights.

Good point about no strong lead in or follow up, but I'm sure they could find something. Plus, I don't really think it will be too big of an issue. Buffy/Angel is like Star Trek... there's a group of hardcore fans that will watch it anywhere. You could put Angel on Animal Planet and the Buffites will go there in droves for it.

I just can't trust FOX since Family Guy. Plus the initial way they handled 24. They hype the shit out of it, then delay it after 9/11, understandable. But then when it comes time to premiere it again, they don't hype it nearly as much and are disappointed with initial low ratings, then shuffle it around so much throughout the first season and constant breaks between new episodes. No wonder why the ratings didn't go too well in season one. I am glad they stuck with it, but I was nervous there for awhile. Imagine what they'd do with the "WB's leftovers."

As for Angel sucking this season, I haven't watched because I just recently got into Buffy and Angel on DVD and just wait for those to come out to see them in order. But I do know show quality declined because of the WB's input, not Whedon. A network change is necessary to make the show good again.

Good point about no strong lead in or follow up, but I'm sure they could find something.  Plus, I don't really think it will be too big of an issue.  Buffy/Angel is like Star Trek... there's a group of hardcore fans that will watch it anywhere.  You could put Angel on Animal Planet and the Buffites will go there in droves for it.

Definitely, but the same is true for Roswell or Buffy when they jumped networks. The hardcore audiences were simple too small. Same thing would be true for Angel, especially when you consider a jump from cable to network. If NBC could develop a similar show, however, stick a lineup of sci fi shows on Friday nights and they might have themselves a staple. But I'm looking at NBC's pilots for this year and there's simply nothing similar.

Guest bruins72

FOX isn't bush league, they're the number three network. Right now if any of the big four are bush league it's ABC. Angel, or any teen marketed show for that matter, would be best on cable, although FOX would be the best spot for one of those shows from a network perspective. NBC aren't exactly promotional geniuses themselves you know. The fact that Scrubs could go three years without gaining a Will and Grace like audience with how good it is just goes to show NBC's obvious lack of ability to market to youth. Firefly, Angel, or any teen show for that matter would fail on NBC. CBS, on the other hand, have proven to be quite good at promotion. They do have a huge teen hit, Joan of Arcadia. If Angel is best to go anywhere, it'd be Fridays at 9 on CBS after Joan.

Despite being better than ABC, I still think Fox is bush-league. They're actually the network I watch most often. What makes them bush-league is that they'd rather go for a quick spike in the ratings that will drop again soon after than build a serious following for a show. Look at how many good shows they've had in their hands over the years but they mismanaged them. I can't see Fox ever having another long running show like The Simpsons or Married With Children.

Am I the only one who dosen't understand the whole Buffy/Angel phenomenon?

I mean, I'll be honest, unless its sports, I don't watch shows on regular TV, because they, for the most part, are too pandering, or suck. I mean, I don't understand the following that Reality TV gets, I don't understand the following that shit sitcoms get, and the only things worth watching on network TV are CSI and Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, and I don't even watch those.

Someone please explain these things to me.

Despite being better than ABC, I still think Fox is bush-league. They're actually the network I watch most often. What makes them bush-league is that they'd rather go for a quick spike in the ratings that will drop again soon after than build a serious following for a show. Look at how many good shows they've had in their hands over the years but they mismanaged them. I can't see Fox ever having another long running show like The Simpsons or Married With Children.

I have no complaints about how FOX has promoted The O.C.. They've turned that into a ratings bonanza, and I'm sure they intend for it to be around a long time. They've also remained pretty loyal to Arrested Development, and despite its low ratings you can't argue their intentions.

Am I the only one who dosen't understand the whole Buffy/Angel phenomenon?

I didn't either until I sat down and watched it on DVD. It's a witty show that is just plain fun to watch. It may not be your cup of tea, but it has its fanbase for a reason.

Guest bruins72

I have no complaints about how FOX has promoted The O.C.. They've turned that into a ratings bonanza, and I'm sure they intend for it to be around a long time. They've also remained pretty loyal to Arrested Development, and despite its low ratings you can't argue their intentions.

But did they really expect The OC (not my type of show but it is pretty popular) to do this well? Didn't they start promoting it more after they saw it was catching on?

I didn't either until I sat down and watched it on DVD.  It's a witty show that is just plain fun to watch.  It may not be your cup of tea, but it has its fanbase for a reason.

I'm exactly the same way as you. I never watched Buffy or Angel on tv. I started watching them on DVD and now I'm hooked. I watched Firefly on tv and really liked it so after it was cancelled, I decided to give Buffy a shot. I bought the 1st season on DVD and I've torn through them since. I'm desperately waiting for Buffy s6 and Angel s4 to come out.

But did they really expect The OC (not my type of show but it is pretty popular) to do this well? Didn't they start promoting it more after they saw it was catching on?

My feeling is this; if they had no intention of The O.C. becoming a hit then they would have saved talent like Tate Donovan and Peter Gallagher for a different pilot. More specifically Gallagher, these two are beyond a typical summer replacement show, so I figure they had to be hoping the show would catch on.