Paul Hunter diagnosed with cancer

Liam

Hunter is diagnosed with cancer 

World snooker number four Paul Hunter has been diagnosed with cancer.

The three-time Masters champion will have more hospital tests during and after the World Snooker Championship, which starts on 16 April.

Hunter is planning to compete in the Sheffield tournament and will then undergo treatment for the illness.

The 26-year-old plans to be "tenacious and positive" in his fight against the disease and has asked for privacy until the start of next season.

Snooker legend Jimmy White has told BBC Sport his thoughts are with Hunter.

White, a six-time world championship runner-up, has rebuilt his career after recovering from testicular cancer.

"I just wish him and his family a speedy recovery," said White.

And seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry has also passed on his support.

"This is terrible news and the kind of news that puts things in perspective," said the Scot.

"It's the kind of thing that happens to other people, not one of your own.

"I'd just like to say on behalf of myself and all the other players and staff at my management company that we wish Paul a speedy and full recovery

Credit: www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Meh, dunno how popular Snooker is, but I'm a Paul Hunter fan, so its sad considering how good he has been these few years to be diagnosed with cancer. Hopefully, its been caught early, and he can fight it.

He's one of my favourite players, owing to the fact that he's won me many a bet, so I hope he recovers from this. Has he said what type of cancer he has yet?

No word about it, and he's said to be left along until after the World Championship, so we won't find out for a little while at least.

Guest The Real Deal

There is word and its been confirmed as bowel cancer.

Met him last summer at a snooker venue as I am a big snooker fan. Cool guy signed stuff and all.

Completly shocked after meeting him and all that someone that age could get cancer but it can happen to anyone it doesn't discriminate age I guess.