2005 NBA Playoffs Topic

Blitz

I tired to watch the game last night, I really did. I want to enjoy the NBA finals because it is a big deal, but the fact of the matter is these two teams put me to sleep. When the highlight of a 15 minute window is a nice bank shot by Tim Duncan from bout 13 feet, it's time to turn the channel.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a Detroit fan, this has been a boring series, but if you like the Spurs, Manu is putting on a show.

Spurs in 4.

Not so much anymore. In fact, I like the way the series has turned, and if you like the Pistons then Big Ben is putting on a show (albeit a much different kind then Manu).

Look's like your prediction just flew out the window. :P

Even still, as much as I'm liking the Pistons chances, I still wont doubt the Spurs. I'm glad it was the Pistons/Spurs in the finals, as I believe these are the two best teams in the NBA. I don't see the Spurs rolling over and dying because they are a great team. However, I am still as confident as I've ever been that the Pistons will take this series and repeat. I've said it before and I will say it again, just when I think the Pistons are done, they come back and prove the doubters wrong. Everybody thought we were dead in the water (myself include to a certain degree), but now at this stage we look to have the momentum on our side.

Edited by VerbalPuke

its no doubt that Horry can still make those clutch shots when it counts. I'm just waiting for the game five replay so I can see it for myself. Actually, I still think its gonna go in seven games...so maybe Billups would be next to get a big buzzer beater shot for Detroit to even out the series 3-3 in game 6.

I started watching Game 5 (and my first time watching the finals at all) late in the 4th quarter when the reruns of Family Guy were over on Cartoon Network. But in retrospect I'm glad I turned to it. That was a thrilling finish and overtime for two teams that usually make me doze off. There are just two complaints I have. I just find it kinda pathetic that you can't give the ball to your best player (Tim Duncan) down the stretch because he can't hit a free throw to save himself. And the other, who the hell leaves the inbounder on the play that Horry hit the game winner on? Rasheed Wallace must've been high because that is almost a golden rule late in the game "Don't leave the inbounder after he passes the ball in." Especially when is 4-5 from 3!! The even worse thing is that Sheed didn't even try to recover he kinda just stood there with his thumb up his ass as Billups rushed at Horry with futility. Great end of the game though, makes me wish I watched the whole thing.

Definitely a great game, as exciting as any game during the playoffs this season. Unfortunately for me, my team didn't come out on top.

During those last few seconds I made said several times that "Detroit needs to guard the fucking three point shot". So what do they do? They leave Robert Horry wide open, knowing full well what he had done during the game, and his history of hitting big shots. Needless to say I was pissed off that we were double teaming Ginobilli with Prince and Rasheed as opposed to playing man to man.

Oh well, ignorant defense may have just cost us this series. The Spurs deserved this one, they wanted it just a bit more, and kept their poise when necesary.

they did the right move IMO, leaving to double Ginobili, as he was who the play was actually supposed to run through, but Sheed shoulda had a second look at who the fuck he was guarding.

An interesting discussion going on of seen at other places.2, actually.

1) Is Robert Horry HOF worthy (talking 1st, 2nd ballot)?

2)Whose career would you rather have, Horry with Rings, or Malone/Barkley etc with stats and HOF locks?

I don't believe Robert Horry is a HOF player, but he definately will become a legend later (remember when Horry put away the Kings/Pistons etc)

And I'd rather have Horry's career, personally.A millionaire, 5 (going on 6 rings) which he actually had a hand in winning (not just 12th man or whatever), extremely clutch player, only has to play for the last month of reg season (welll, this year anyway), can carry a team if they need it in the clutch, doesn't get all the blame if his team loses as after all he's just the guy off the bench etc...

discuss, as not much is going on about the Finals...

they did the right move IMO, leaving to double Ginobili, as he was who the play was actually supposed to run through, but Sheed shoulda had a second look at who the fuck he was guarding.

An interesting discussion going on of seen at other places.2, actually.

1) Is Robert Horry HOF worthy (talking 1st, 2nd ballot)?

2)Whose career would you rather have, Horry with Rings, or Malone/Barkley etc with stats and HOF locks?

I don't believe Robert Horry is a HOF player, but he definately will become a legend later (remember when Horry put away the Kings/Pistons etc)

And I'd rather have Horry's career, personally.A millionaire, 5 (going on 6 rings) which he actually had a hand in winning (not just 12th man or whatever),  extremely clutch player, only has to play for the last month of reg season (welll, this year anyway), can carry a team if they need it in the clutch, doesn't get all the blame if his team loses as after all he's just the guy off the bench etc...

discuss, as not much is going on about the Finals...

I still don't agree with double teaming Manu Ginobili. Tayshaun Prince was the man assigned to cover him on that given play, and I am confident in his ability to stop Manu. I don't think it was necesary for Sheed' to leave Horry, especially when Manu wasn't having that great a game to begin with.

As for the Robert Horry discussion, I'd say he's a legendary player for his playoff heroics, but not hall of fame worthy. I'd also definitely rather have his career as opposed to the Malones/Barkleys/Ewings of the past. You're right about him not getting all the blame if his team loses, since he is only a bit player. However, when he does great he can take alot of the credit. Kind of a nice situation for Mr. Horry.

VerbalPuke's right. Prince could have done just as good a job on Manu one on one as double-teaming with Rasheed would have done. Leaving Horry wide open is inexcusable, although I think 'Sheed's taking more flack than he deserves for it....and I'm no 'Sheed fan.

It was a small goof that would have been overlooked if it happened in the first quarter...but since it happaned at the end of OT, everyone's up in arms. Sometimes, I just hate the media. :)

And Horry is in no way a HOF player. He's one of the greatest bench/clutch/playoff players in NBA history. And a great flopper too (then again, so were most of the Lakers). But with the amount of guys who SHOULD be in the Hall Of Fame who aren't, it'd be a crime if Horry got in there ahead of them. But he's had one hell of a good career. Not many guys can say they played with as many quality big men as Horry has. Olajuwon, Shaq, Duncan. Not bad.

As for Karizma's question if I'd rather have an Horry type career with rings or a HOF career with no rings, I'd pick the HOF career. I feel bad that guys like Barkley, Malone and Ewing never got rings, but they'll also be remembered far longer than someone like Horry.

Then again, my favorite all-time player, Shawn Kemp, is a crackhead, so what do I know? lol

Guest Josef Stallion

Pistons even up the series, 3-3. I admit, when Horry hit that shot with 5 seconds left last game I was on the verge of pulling my hair out. But now that we've tied it, I have confidence we can repeat, really do. Great finals..

VerbalPuke's right. Prince could have done just as good a job on Manu one on one as double-teaming with Rasheed would have done. Leaving Horry wide open is inexcusable, although I think 'Sheed's taking more flack than he deserves for it....and I'm no 'Sheed fan.

It was a small goof that would have been overlooked if it happened in the first quarter...but since it happaned at the end of OT, everyone's up in arms. Sometimes, I just hate the media.  :)

And Horry is in no way a HOF player. He's one of the greatest bench/clutch/playoff players in NBA history. And a great flopper too (then again, so were most of the Lakers). But with the amount of guys who SHOULD be in the Hall Of Fame who aren't, it'd be a crime if Horry got in there ahead of them. But he's had one hell of a good career. Not many guys can say they played with as many quality big men as Horry has. Olajuwon, Shaq, Duncan. Not bad.

As for Karizma's question if I'd rather have an Horry type career with rings or a HOF career with no rings, I'd pick the HOF career. I feel bad that guys like Barkley, Malone and Ewing never got rings, but they'll also be remembered far longer than someone like Horry.

Then again, my favorite all-time player, Shawn Kemp, is a crackhead, so what do I know?  lol

Wait a minute, you guys want this series over early? Who exactly is forcing you too watch this series? These last two games of the series have been exciting as hell, and now we're hearing "Ugh I wish this series would just end".

The Finals have been pre-empting prime time shows on ABC for the last two weeks now. If you have no interest in the series, it sucks because you're missing something you might want to watch because something you don't want to see is on. Think of it like when the President ruins the night by talking bullshit on EVERY channel, but on a smaller scale. Unless you're a Republican, or a Bush fan you just want him to shut the fuck up and return you to your regularly scheduled programming. In this case, if you're not a Pistons/Spurs fan, you wanted the series over in 4.

Wait a minute, you guys want this series over early? Who exactly is forcing you too watch this series? These last two games of the series have been exciting as hell, and now we're hearing "Ugh I wish this series would just end".

The Finals have been pre-empting prime time shows on ABC for the last two weeks now. If you have no interest in the series, it sucks because you're missing something you might want to watch because something you don't want to see is on. Think of it like when the President ruins the night by talking bullshit on EVERY channel, but on a smaller scale. Unless you're a Republican, or a Bush fan you just want him to shut the fuck up and return you to your regularly scheduled programming. In this case, if you're not a Pistons/Spurs fan, you wanted the series over in 4.

That makes sense I guess, I never understood why they started at nine for the finals. I know starting at eight probably wouldn't make much difference, but that's life I guess. Though I can't say this would have an effect on me either way as I hate prime time television. I'd be more inclined to watch sports over a drama, and the thought of a game 7 would keep me happy, knowing I'd get some extra basketball (even if I was from another part of the country and was subjected to the Pistons/Spurs). Ironically, I also would have hoped for this series to be over in four, for my own reasons. Though you're reasoning does make good sense, and I see where people are coming from if they are missing their favorite shows.