IGN's top 100 games

AJ

Guest Grapehead

That was interesting, thanks for the link. I have to agree, Super Mario Bros. is just about the best game I can think of, but it's hard to say exactly what I'd consider the best game myself. I was happy to see Ocarina of Time in second though, one of my favourites as well. Another surprise for me, was that FFX was on the list, but no FFVII...

Edited by Spongebob_V2

I was disappointed that FFX made the list at all.

That game was a shit fest, with a few decent things in it that I actually liked. How its even considered a benchmark RPG is beyond me. Even the soundtrack was boring.

I am VERY happy that games like System Shock 2, Star Control 2 and Deux Ex made it though.

Guest Grapehead

the first part of rvd and punks posts were blasphemy! While I can admit FFX being on the list is surprising, it wasn't nearly a shitfest as you put it. The game was certainly a benchmark in the FF series, and a step forward in the RPG genre. And Ocarina of Time is just amazing, how do you argue it against Sonic? I don't see anyway to compare the two.

Yeah its an assold list, but its probably (Replace sonic with Super Metroid), one of the most accurate lists Ive seen. Chrono Trigger being 11 makes me a fucking happy man, even though it should be in the top three, the mere fact it is soaring above all of the other Square RPGs makes me happy. What does baffle me though is the lack of placement for Suikoden and FF7. And FF4 above FF6? Fuck off...

Oh, Secret of Mana made a damn top 100 list. I grew up on that game.

Well, neither Knights of the Old Republic or Championship Manager were even in the list whatsoever, so the list is pooh to me.

Mind you, Starcraft was in the top 10 so that's pretty awesome.

the first part of rvd and punks posts were blasphemy! While I can admit FFX being on the list is surprising, it wasn't nearly a shitfest as you put it. The game was certainly a benchmark in the FF series, and a step forward in the RPG genre. And Ocarina of Time is just amazing, how do you argue it against Sonic? I don't see anyway to compare the two.

I didn't say Sonic was better than Zelda. I just mean that Sonic is a classic, and was the only platform character to ever come close to beating the Mario franchise (Sonic > Mario IMO, but meh), and was one of the best looking and fun platformers for its time.

Zelda on the other hand, as these games you pretty much get a "great" game every week come out, just isn't as valuable in my opinion to gaming, as there have been a lot else out which has been bettert than it.

Also, lack of Champ Manager is gay.

The game was certainly a benchmark in the FF series, and a step forward in the RPG genre.

A step forward how?

Aside from the graphics, which I will openly admit are gorgeous, theres nothing about FFX that remotely interested me. The characters, the storyline, the music and the side quests all bored me to death. I spent most of the game going "It will get better any minute now" and it didn't.

Meh...I liked it. General consensus seemed to say that it was good, but nothing special.

JoJo's Thoughts

100-91

94: Wolfenstein 3D

Wolfenstein 3D was one of the first FPS' made, and I think it should get more recognition on the list. Not to mention it was a fun game.

93. SimCity

Blasphemy

92. Aces Of The Pacific

It may be a huge personal bias as AOTP was one of my first PC games, but it was the best WWII flight sim I have ever played. It just might be the best flight sim I've ever played.

90. Sonic The Hedgehog

Blasphemy

88. Warcraft II

A great game that deserves to be at least in 60s.

85. Final Fantasy X

This better than SimCity, Sonic, and F-Zero? You've got to be kidding me.

75. Saturn Bomberman

Anything remotely to do with Bomberman should be in the top 50%...

57. Star Fox

This game is another one of the revolutionary games that should have gotten more credit for their achievements.

51. Contra

Should be a little bit higher.

47. SimCity 2000

BLASPHEMY!

44. Doom

The game that popularized FPS' should not be this low.

39. Halo

Halo's overrated

34. Dune II: Building Of A Dynasty

The article says so itself, it's the godfather of the modern RTS game.

18. Grand Theft Auto III

A great game, but it doesn't hold the same historical context (at least yet) of some of the previous games mentioned. It seems to be there only because it's popular.

15. Civilization II

Blasphemy! It should be in the top 5.

13. Ms. Pac-Man

Same as Civ II

Other thoughts

I really think the the orignal Legend Of Zelda should have been on the list, mainly considering that it won the EGM list about two years ago. I really agree with Super Mario Brothers clinching the top spot, as that's one of the games that really brought people into the world of console games.

BTW, Where the hell's Pong?

Guest Mike Dude

for some reason evreytime i click on a link on the boards it wont load and crashes everything....

but i read it a while ago its a little old but fuck FF7 should of been number 1, but its not even on the damned list but fucking ff10 is! jesus christ! the worst game of the series (except for maybe x-2)!!!!

ign sold out.

Man....

Seeing the list, it brings back such incredible memories of games I've long forgotten.

The joy of conquering the world in Civ2. The fun of working for the Empire in TIE Fighter. The "I fucked up" feeling of attacking a Panama loaded with 400 men while you have 70 in Pirates.

Countless other memories as well I could name off just from a list as small as this.

Damn...

I miss my 486!!

FF7 is far from number one, while it's a good RPG it's nowhere near as great as it's made out to be. Highly overrated game. I hope the (supposed) remake will be better.

I personally love the list, the top 2 games are well deserved, some of the new great games aren't on the list because the list was made like 2-3 years ago.