34 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win?

• John Terry
    • Frank Lampard
    • Thierry Henry
    • Petr Cech
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Andy Johnson

The Professional Footballers' Association have announced the nominees for their 2005 Player of the Year awards.

As expected Chelsea duo Frank Lampard and John Terry are nominated and they are regarded as clear favourites to lift the award.

A third Blue is also up for the award in the shape of goalkeeper Petr Cech, while winner for the last two year's Thierry Henry is also in with a chance of retaining his award.

Liverpool skipper Steve Gerrard once again makes the shortlist, with Crystal Palace star Andy Johnson making up the nominations for the top award.

Who do you think should win?

First off, I think Carragher should be there, not Gerrard. He has been jsut as good as John Terry this season but doesn't get the spotlight because he doesn't play for Chelsea.

My pick is Thierry Henry, now before you say aobut how I am biased let me say why.

He is one of the only players in our team who has appeared in most of our games, and a team that has struggled this season but yet again he has scored 25 goals and made 15 assists and he still gets criticised for that. He has been doing it for the past 3 or 4 years.

I know Lampard or Terry will get it but their's iny my opinion is based on team success, and don't get me worng if they win they will deserve it because they have been exceptional but I think Henry deserves the award more for scoring that many and assisting that many in a team which has been quite poor this season. I thought Henry deserved either the Euro or World player of the year award. Shevchenko is a class striker and Ronaldinho is also class, but does any other striker in world football score 30 goals a season whilst assisting nearly 20 at the same time? I don't think so.

I'm a bit torn on this. While I know Lampard or Terry will win it (and they would easily deserve it if not for my picks), I had a tough time deciding between Cech and Henry.

They've been the best players this season. As good as Chelsea are, I don't think they'd be top (or at least miles away from the rest) if not for Petr Cech. Best goalkeeper in the world bar none, and if he doesn't win goalkeeper of the year away I'll be pissed.

That said, Henry is the top scorer in the country (or Premiership, whatever) and has more assists than anyone else in the Premiership. He's the most complete player I've seen in a long time, and he's been doing it all season long. Ok, he dropped off for a few games, but every player does that.

So, I voted for Henry.

John Terry.

An exceptional leader, and an exceptional player. Whenever he plays, for club or country, he shows real passion and an unrivaled desire to win. He really has been head and shoulders over other defenders in the Premiership this year, and is, in my mind, the next England captain.

There's no other choice, although Cech, Lampard, Henry, Gerrard and AJ have all had good seasons - Terry has been outstanding. It's a travesty if anybody but Terry wins really.

Guest Ringmaster

I voted for Terry. As good as all the other players are, the main reason that Chelsea are not conceding so many goals is John Terry. He has been superb this season and really works well as Chelsea captain.

John Terry.

An exceptional leader, and an exceptional player. Whenever he plays, for club or country, he shows real passion and an unrivaled desire to win. He really has been head and shoulders over other defenders in the Premiership this year, and is, in my mind, the next England captain.

There's no other choice, although Cech, Lampard, Henry, Gerrard and AJ have all had good seasons - Terry has been outstanding. It's a travesty if anybody but Terry wins really.

I don't agree with some things people say about Terry. Sure the guy is a brilliant defender, but he's not as good as Campbell or Ferdinand in my opinion.

There's the problem with who should be captain. Beckham and Owen should be nowhere near it, and Terry should wear it. But unfortunetly, he shouldn't be in the first-team if both Campbell and Ferdinand are fit, so unless we played five at the back, the best choice captain for England wouldn't get into the team.

Yeah, I only went a little bit off topic there :shifty:

Henry is a great player, no doubt about that, but you can't really expect Ronaldinho to ever score 30 goals a season since he isn't a striker. To be honest i'd be surprised if he ever reached 20. :P

The reason why Ronaldinho won it wasn't because of his individual stats, but because of his great football skills, which a lot of great brazilian players have, BUT with one big difference. He managed to use them to lift a team in one of the most competitive leagues in the world (i was going to say the best, but i know you all would disagree so let's leave it that way). Barcelona was in a horrible phase in their careers and people seem to have forgotten that. They were just above the relegation zone in the beggining of the season, and even when they started improving (as expected) they never went above 9th, and often fell to around 12th (because the difference in points was small) anytime they lost a game. When Ronaldinho gets in the team, they start playing better. It seems the whole team got Ronaldinho's joy in playing. In the end of last season, Barcelona eventually got into the 2nd place (totally unexpected at the time), and who's to say they wouldn't reach first given a few more games? On the beggining of this season Barcelona started in great shape, winning almost every game and playing great football, and a lot of that was due to Ronaldinho's superb form. That was the reason why he won the FIFA player of the year award (note the FIFA player of the year concernes the time period between january and december and not a full football season).

As for the PFA prize, i don't think Henry will win it either, cause i think they'll be more focused on achievements as a team rather than individual stats. My guess is it will be Lampard to get it.

IMO, Terry is better than both Campbell and Ferdinand - and his form this season has shown it. I know Ferdinand and Campbell's season have both had set backs, but Terry has been head and shoulders over everyone else. Come World Cup 2006, I firmly expect Terry to have ousted one of them from the starting XI.

I'm guessing pace? Tony Adams had zero pace, I'd love to hear you criticise him. I can't really remember too many instances where Terry was beaten for pace - his positional play is so good, he really doesn't need to be super quick. Terry has been the best defender around, fact - pace really isn't that important to a centre back, especially when he can play next to a fast player like Ferdinand. Adams wasn't fast, Keown wasn't fast, someone Nesta isn't overburdened with pace. Take Tony Gardner at Spurs, he has all the pace in the world - and it doesn't make him good.

I agree that Carragher should be in there, he's been more of a team player than Gerrard this season, and IMO has been the joint best centre back in the country (along with Terry). I'd like to see them given a chance for England, but it won't happen - which is a shame.

Definately Terry, he deserves to be the partner with Rio for England after his displays this season. he as been immense for Chelsea and should definately scoop the award

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

Whilst Henry will end this season with the golden boot, he won't win this, mainly because he hasn't done anything that people don't expect of him, he's the best striker you'll get in the premiership, but thats not much of a surprise anymore.

Terry will probably win it, no explanation necessary.

Cech shouldn't be in with a shout, put Cudicini in that exact same spot and I guarantee Chelsea would be in an identical situation, he's a good keeper but his defense has made him look better than he is.

Andy Johnson, he's just been chucked on that list to make people happy, I'm not saying he's crap and I know he plays for a rubbish team, but does he deserve this award or nomination? not really.