Song War

Steeb

Uh yes, EBD here...

Will there be judges for different genres or what?

Like what would happen if like a classic rock song went up against an amazaing rap song.... what the hell would happen then? IMO, it would be unfair for the classic rock song to win without anybody who can really judge the rap song fairly on the judge panel.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh yes, EBD here...

Like what would happen if like a classic rock song went up against an amazaing rap song.... what the hell would happen then? IMO, it would be unfair for the classic rock song to win without anybody who can really judge the rap song fairly on the judge panel.

I was thinking that a place like allmusic.com could be used as a base idea. They are really impartial when it comes to what they give groups with regards to ratings, so it could be one way of comparing rap to rock, for example.

Uh yes, EBD here...

I was thinking that a place like allmusic.com could be used as a base idea. They are really impartial when it comes to what they give groups with regards to ratings, so it could be one way of comparing rap to rock, for example.

Christ, I hate to be a pest but I'm still having trouble with the random feature. I updated my windows media player, and I found the play shuffled thingy, but when I click it nothing happens. Am I missing something or am I just a computer illiterate peon? (I'll wager the latter)

And I have to say, today has been a day of EWB compliments for me. First in the picture place discussion, and now in here from George.  :wub:  :shifty:

What you'd have to do is just start a song on WMP, and then click "Skip track", and it randomly selects the next song.

Thats basically it.

Ah ha, now I've got this thing figured out. Thank you very much.

So I'm heading up against EBG, should be an interesting match up. There is the slim chance something fairly well known pops up on my play list, but we'll see. Heh, I could just see some obscure shit like Angry Red Planet coming up, something that isn't on allmusic.com. Either way I don't mind, this will be a fun little contest, one I'll keep track of even if I do find myself eliminated in the first round.

So what do I do. Do I e-mail you the song or what? PM? MSN? If it's MSN 2/3 Falls will probably be better as somebody may just be lumbered with complete and utter shite otherwise.

RockPaperScissors and I have completely different tastes, but I could say that about a lot of people, so... it'll be interesting at least.

And yeah, I agree with the "send the song to the judge over MSN if they haven't heard it" idea.

As long as the judge deletes it afterwards of course. Wouldn't want to condone illegal filesharing now, would we? :P

Actually, MSN7 has a feature where you can listen to the other persons currently-playing song, as long as it's in their database, so for some of them that might work...

Edit: Wow...the database is shite. You have to pay, too. Didn't realise that.

Edited by TheReilDeal

Drags, judges can ask for a redraw if they aren't familiar with one or both of the songs. Or, if it's easy enough, the tracks could be transferred for evaluation purposes.

The battles will be the first to five points. What they are done on (MSN, PM, etc., etc.) depends on the people involved in the bracket.

As for genre, it shouldn't matter. If, for example, 'Encore' by Jay Z came up against 'Down With The Sickness' by Disturbed, 'Encore' would win, as it is, generally the song that shows more talent in it's specific field.

For example if Dream Theater came up against say Ash. Dream Theater would automatically win because they are technically better.

As much as I love Dream Theater, this idea (if i'm understanding it right) is kind of stupid. I know it's hard to compare two songs of different genres but there's got to be a better way than this. Either way i'm still in.

The idea I had was to have each genre's judge score that song.

So for example, rvdwannabe might score Fatal Impact by Darkane a 6, and one of the rap guys might score a good rap song by my opponent a 8, so he'd win because his song was the better example of it's genre, not necessarily the best out of the two songs.

Well if enough judges sign up....

The different genres idea is all well and good, but unless we get judges FOR each genre, then...you know...

Plus, it would end up there being more judges than contestants - "I like emo, but I don't like screamo, so I can't judge that", that sort of shit.

The idea I had was to have each genre's judge score that song.

So for example, rvdwannabe might score Fatal Impact by Darkane a 6, and one of the rap guys might score a good rap song by my opponent a 8, so he'd win because his song was the better example of it's genre, not necessarily the best out of the two songs.

Sure you can be a judge. Which genre/s would you like to sign up for judging?

Can everyone involved thus far PM me with:

All possible means of contact

All possible genres that will come up

and What hours you're usually on

Or you could just post it in here. Thanks.

I don't know what genres Dragon will be evaluating, but i can judge anything but Rap and Eletronic stuff as i said in my previous post. I also think it's better if someone else judges Nu-Metal because if i do it, i won't be able to give anyone more than a 5/10. :P

I don't think i'll have much trouble knowing the tracks people are playing (outside of the two genres mentioned above) because everytime people start threads suggesting bands to others, i never get anything out of it since i usually know them all. That actually sucks <_<

EDIT: You can contact me by PMing me here on EWB. I barely ever close this window. I'm usually on for a large part of the day except Fridays when i will only be here around 1 am GMT. This sunday i won't be here either cause i'm going to a gig/festival. Any other day is easy to find me here since i don't have much of a social life :(

Edited by Malenko

Guest Booker T & The MG's

MSN: thebookman@hotmail.co.uk

Genres: 70s electro, Rock, Indie, Hip-Hop, Metal.

Hours: Mostly all the time just now, I'm on exam leave so I will be here at most points during the day whilst I'm studying.

Can everyone involved thus far PM me with:

All possible means of contact

All possible genres that will come up

and What hours you're usually on

Or you could just post it in here. Thanks.

1. MSN/E-mail (fiftysixtears@gmail.com)

2. Techno/Electro, Metal, Classic Rock, Indie, Punk, Classical, Rap, Jazz, New Wave, Goth, Trip Hop, Folk, Blues...I think that about covers it.

3. Varies, but most consistently after 8pm, but during the day now and then on weekdays, and late morning on weekends